Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about.....

Did anyone check out the points? I know it's early and it doesn't reflect race wins/chase births but the deck was really shuffled yesterday. BTW, how is Hamlin shown in 11th? I don't get it. http://www.jayski.com/stats/2014/pdfs/05acs2014points.pdf
image.jpg

Still right in the thick of it.
I guess as long as he stays in the top 30 he's still in the thick of it. While we've had 5 winners in the first 5 races I can't see that trend continuing. I still don't think that we'll see 16 different winners over the first 26 races. Denny will have his day in victory lane by fall Richmond.

I know Kyle Larson was really impressive this weekend, but an attaboy to Austin Dillon too, 9th in points ain't too shabby.

Quietly getting it done. TBH they are both more competitive then I thought they'd be this early in the season.

I know Kyle Larson was really impressive this weekend, but an attaboy to Austin Dillon too, 9th in points ain't too shabby.

Definitely. I like how they seem to be going about their business in somewhat opposite ways yet both doing quite well so far. I hope they continue.

Found on Jayski:

Sunday's Auto Club 400 at Auto Club Speedway produced a massive number of tire failures, as Goodyear Eagles exploded with shocking regularity from the opening 20 laps until the end of the race. #48-Jimmie Johnson, #4-Kevin Harvick, #99-Carl Edwards, #16-Greg Biffle, #9-Marcos Ambrose, #2-Brad Keselowski, #88-Dale Earnhardt Jr. and #15-Clint Bowyer were among the top drivers who saw their races go out the window because of tire failures. But afterward, most of the drivers weren't pointing the finger at Goodyear as the source of the problem. Instead, they pointed to changes with the cars and how they are set up for 2014. Last year, NASCAR loosened rules on how much air pressure the teams must run in their tires and how much camber they can run. This year, NASCAR added downforce with a new, larger rear spoiler.
Some teams got very aggressive by running extremely low air pressures on left-side tires -- 11 pounds per square inch in some cases, vs. the Goodyear recommendation of 22 psi -- and equally aggressive camber, which is defined as how much the tire slants away from vertical when viewing it from the front or back. Lower air pressures combined with aggressive camber make for extremely fast speeds, but it greatly increases the risk of catastrophic tire failure, which is what happened again and again and again on Sunday. "Last year we opened up the rules on camber for the rear end," added Robin Pemberton, NASCAR's vice president of competition and racing development. "I would say that a year ago at this time we were early in the process, and teams were probably not as aggressive as they wound up being as the season unfolded, as they got the mechanics better in their cars and the opportunity to be able to make parts and pieces live longer. Now, I think they're probably a little bit better prepared for that. So if they had too much camber -- they've got a lot of choices, so if they had too much and it abused the tire, that's what happens." Asked by FOXSports.com if he thought the tire failures were a Goodyear problem, Pemberton was clear. "No," Pemberton said. "We've talked to Goodyear. We have asked, the competitors have asked to bring more aggressive tires, to bring tires that they need to manage and want to -- how they use them and how they get the most out of them. At this point in time, I think Goodyear, it's the same tire that we've run on in the past. Just the car is a little bit different."(FoxSports)(3-24-2014)

Wow --- some were running only 1/2 the recommended psi. No wonder the tires quit on them.

Exactly! That and the setups. I seriously doubt that it's a coincidence that the only SHR car that had troubles was the one with a near guaranteed chase spot. I also noticed that #20 was running hard on those restarts but couldn't hang with the #48 and he didn't have any tire issues.

Wow --- some were running only 1/2 the recommended psi. No wonder the tires quit on them.

Perhaps now some will understand how dumb some teams were being without adult supervision. They are the ones who decided the outcome of the race. Some are cool with that. I'm not.

Despite a good race, weather not being a factor, and buildup from last year's race, according to Jayski the TV ratings for Fontana were down 11% from last year. I believe this means the ratings from all 5 races this year have been down from last year, correct?

Despite a good race, weather not being a factor, and buildup from last year's race, according to Jayski the TV ratings for Fontana were down 11% from last year. I believe this means the ratings from all 5 races this year have been down from last year, correct?

Perhaps changing the champ format hasn't attracted enough new fans to offset all the old fans who left.

So Keith Olbermann named Eddie Gossage "The worst person in sports" because of his giant TV screen at the track.......

Dale Earnhardt Jr.
@DaleJr

So @NASCAR will require chase drivers to run yellow roof numbers. Made me chuckle.
I don't think that is that bad an idea. Personally, I have trouble locating my driver because of the paint scheme changes week to week. Seeing at a quick glance where they are on the track will be welcomed by me. Now, I'd like to see them adopt that running order display that I saw them using in the Rolex 24. I think that would be great for the 'at track' experience.

I don't think that is that bad an idea. Personally, I have trouble locating my driver because of the paint scheme changes week to week. Seeing at a quick glance where they are on the track will be welcomed by me. Now, I'd like to see them adopt that running order display that I saw them using in the Rolex 24. I think that would be great for the 'at track' experience.

I think the choice of yellow is odd, since it typically signifies a rookie.

I think it would be easier to identify if the strip at the top of the windshield were yellow like they do with blue for the Dash 4 Cash in the Nationwide Series. The colored roof number might be hard to see on a car like Kenseth's, Logano's, and Menard's.

Back
Top Bottom