Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about.....

image.jpg

I just started collecting NASCAR memorabilia and was wondering if there is any way to find out what driver used the tire that was just given to me. The only thing that the person had written on the tire was "RACE USED DARLINGTON" It is a Goodyear tire that has LF written in silver. It also has Set 1 and 6884 which are the last 4 of the UPC on the tire. All in silver. Anything else I can look for to tell me the driver or race date? Any info would be awesome! Once again I'm a beginner collector and this is my first post so be easy on me! Thank you! (Photo attached)
tires are really not sought after in collections as for value. think of all the tires that are used in a season, but just for personal collection it's takes up a lot of space. now if you had a tire autographed from dale winning the daytona 500, that would be nice. but if you don't have any idea of who's car it came off of, you probably will never find out. you have a computer send an email to goodyear and see what happens, it won't cost you nothing and either they help you or don't. i had a dale sr tire autographed with a picture of him signing it that i kept having to move around because of its size that i just gave it away, and it took awhile for someone to take it. nascar collections have been on a decline, because they put out so dang much.

Last edited:
tires are really not sought after in collections as for value. think of all the tires that are used in a season, but just for personal collection it's takes up a lot of space. now if you had a tire autographed from dale winning the daytona 500, that would be nice. but if you don't have any idea of who's car it came off of, you probably will never find out. you have a computer send an email to goodyear and see what happens, it won't cost you nothing and either they help you or don't. i had a dale sr tire autographed with a picture of him signing it that i kept having to move around because of its size that i just gave it away, and it took awhile for someone to take it. nascar collections have been on a decline, because they put out so dang much.
You bring up a good point...and it makes me wonder just how long the kids keep the drag slicks that they ask for at every race. They usually ask for tires first, and then rods, and then pistons in drag racing. It's funny watching them rolling those big slicks away. Heck, a lot of times the tire is bigger then the kid that is trying to push it. I made a fan real happy last year at the World Finals when i had just finished stripping all the hardware off of an engine that we had just broke the crankshaft in and spit a couple of rods out of. A fan saw it sitting there and asked me what we were going to do with it, and since the block was beyond repair i told him he could have it if he wanted it. Needless to say he was a happy camper other then he didn't know how he would get it loaded into his truck out in the fan parking lot. So i gave him the credentials to get into the pits and he went out and drove his truck in and we loaded it up and he was on his way with a very very big smile on his face. I don't know how much his wife was smiling when he got it home, though.:)

Last edited:
I have a copy Jeff Gordon's book autographed on the cover by Jeff, Ray, Robbie Loomis and John Bickford. I obtained all of the autographs myself. Do you guys think it's worth anything? I have pics to prove that I was with those guys to get the autographs. (Garage passes at MIS and a I was guest at Jeff Gordon's bowling tourney)

Looks like a board track. From what I read this was very common in the 1910s and 1920s. The Harley museum here in Milwaukee has a big section on it because it was popular with motorcycle racing. They fell out of favor because the tracks were expensive to maintain (they were cheaper than asphalt at the time of original construction though). When the track owners wouldn't maintain them, big splinters would develop as the wood boards would break up. The Harley museum said a lot of motorcycle racers died/were maimed on poorly maintained tracks when they would fall off their bikes and land on giant splinters. Wikipedia knows more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Board_track_racing

I was surprised by the banking some of these tracks had, way before Bristol or Talladega or Daytona, these pineboard tracks had crazy degrees of banking, even while contemporary tracks that survived to modern days like Indianapolis or the Milwaukee Mile were relatively flat. I believe Bristol is currently has the steepest banks in NASCAR with 30 degrees. Wiki says that some pineboard tracks had 60 degrees (!) of banking back in the day.

Bristol was NEVER banked at 30 degrees.....

I don't believe the tires are 'officially' marked by the teams. If it was a wheel, it would have a sticker of the car number or, in a team like Roush's case, all the teams car numbers. I don't think there is a way to identify what car the tire was off of without a "#__" written on it somewhere.. as far as I know.
teams will put a code on the tire, that code will tell them on their notes what car, how many laps, if it was a practice tire, race tire, qualifying, everything to do with that tire. as soon as a tire gets mounted it's coded.

Something odd I saw today. A brand new Super McDonald's opened today near where I was working. A McDonald's employee, in uniform, was standing out front, near the driveway, waving a pole with a big blue 88 Dale Jr. flag to attract the attention of people driving past o_O
Woulda been more appropriate had he been a Jamie Mac fan...

Bristol was NEVER banked at 30 degrees.....
"...The track long advertised its banking as 36 degrees, which at one time made it the most steeply banked track used by NASCAR. However, BMS now lists its banking at 24 to 30 degrees, reflecting the results of the track's most recent resurfacing in 2007.
Even before the resurfacing, there was some dispute as to the accuracy of the measurement. In the 1980s, ESPN often claimed the turns were banked at 35 degrees during television telecast of events at the track. In an interview with Stock Car Racing's Larry Cothren, driver Ryan Newman openly disputed the measurement of the banking of Bristol Motor Speedway's turns. Newman's crew measured the banking during a test session to aid with setups, and found that the turns were banked 26 degrees, rather than the advertised 36 degrees. A Camping World Truck Series open test noted the banking had dropped following resurfacing, to 22-27 degrees, in a variable banking configuration..."

From...> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Motor_Speedway

Not sure if anyone posted this yet. From Jayski's...
Biffle leaving Roush? While all eyes have been on #16-Greg Biffle's teammate, #99-Carl Edwards, to be the biggest domino to fall, could Biffle actually be the one to set everything in motion? As recently as April, the 44-year-old stated his intention was to stay at Roush Fenway Racing and that a new deal was imminent. "We've been working pretty diligently on that," he told Frontstretch back then. "It has been a pretty good negotiation so far. There are a lot of new people on both sides of the table, so everyone is kind of getting a feel for the program and learning it. We feel pretty good that we'll have something to announce before we get to summer." But as May rolled around, warm weather looming Biffle suddenly sounded colder, less confident in his status for the future. "I think there's plenty of opportunities in the industry to be in competitive cars," he said in an interview on SiriusXM Radio earlier this month. "I enjoy being at Roush Fenway. I love 3M. We have a great relationship and the program works really, really well for 3M ... Plain and simple, I've got options. I know I'm going to be racing. I know I'm going to be driving a car. So I'm not worried."
Supposedly things have deteriorated from there. Despite saying two weeks ago in Kansas Biffle was "absolutely, 100%" not looking outside his current organization, I've learned that's not the case. Sources claim the driver's plans lie elsewhere for 2015, that he is actively seeking other employment and that the feeling is mutual. One link in particular, direct to the Roush organization who wished to remain anonymous said he's been told the future for Biffle involves "anything but" RFR, the only NASCAR team he's really driven for. If the driver, a Roush Cup full-timer since 2003, does not return next year, speculation has been rampant that he will take sponsor 3M with him. A red flag went up about that possibility on Saturday, when RFR announced that they planned to return their #6 to the track next year. Owner Jack Roush said that he plans for the new team, driven by Trevor Bayne, to be a fourth car, but it's also possible he's prepping to lose financial backing for 2015.(Frontstretch)(5-27-2014)

Biffle leaving Roush? While all eyes have been on #16-Greg Biffle's teammate, #99-Carl Edwards, to be the biggest domino to fall, could Biffle actually be the one to set everything in motion? As recently as April, the 44-year-old stated his intention was to stay at Roush Fenway Racing and that a new deal was imminent. "We've been working pretty diligently on that," he told Frontstretch back then. "It has been a pretty good negotiation so far. There are a lot of new people on both sides of the table, so everyone is kind of getting a feel for the program and learning it. We feel pretty good that we'll have something to announce before we get to summer." But as May rolled around, warm weather looming Biffle suddenly sounded colder, less confident in his status for the future. "I think there's plenty of opportunities in the industry to be in competitive cars," he said in an interview on SiriusXM Radio earlier this month. "I enjoy being at Roush Fenway. I love 3M. We have a great relationship and the program works really, really well for 3M ... Plain and simple, I've got options. I know I'm going to be racing. I know I'm going to be driving a car. So I'm not worried."
Supposedly things have deteriorated from there. Despite saying two weeks ago in Kansas Biffle was "absolutely, 100%" not looking outside his current organization, I've learned that's not the case. Sources claim the driver's plans lie elsewhere for 2015, that he is actively seeking other employment and that the feeling is mutual. One link in particular, direct to the Roush organization who wished to remain anonymous said he's been told the future for Biffle involves "anything but" RFR, the only NASCAR team he's really driven for. If the driver, a Roush Cup full-timer since 2003, does not return next year, speculation has been rampant that he will take sponsor 3M with him. A red flag went up about that possibility on Saturday, when RFR announced that they planned to return their #6 to the track next year. Owner Jack Roush said that he plans for the new team, driven by Trevor Bayne, to be a fourth car, but it's also possible he's prepping to lose financial backing for 2015.(Frontstretch)(5-27-2014)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Quick check of the TV ratings, it looks like Sunday's Coke 600 overnighted at a 3.9 rating, down about 9% from the 4.3 the race pulled last year.
Surprisingly it was the most-watched sports telecast of the weekend, although Pacers-Heat would have beaten it if it weren't on ESPN.

"...The track long advertised its banking as 36 degrees, which at one time made it the most steeply banked track used by NASCAR. However, BMS now lists its banking at 24 to 30 degrees, reflecting the results of the track's most recent resurfacing in 2007.
Even before the resurfacing, there was some dispute as to the accuracy of the measurement. In the 1980s, ESPN often claimed the turns were banked at 35 degrees during television telecast of events at the track. In an interview with Stock Car Racing's Larry Cothren, driver Ryan Newman openly disputed the measurement of the banking of Bristol Motor Speedway's turns. Newman's crew measured the banking during a test session to aid with setups, and found that the turns were banked 26 degrees, rather than the advertised 36 degrees. A Camping World Truck Series open test noted the banking had dropped following resurfacing, to 22-27 degrees, in a variable banking configuration..."

From...> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Motor_Speedway

see post #11745

I just started collecting NASCAR memorabilia and was wondering if there is any way to find out what driver used the tire that was just given to me. The only thing that the person had written on the tire was "RACE USED DARLINGTON" It is a Goodyear tire that has LF written in silver. It also has Set 1 and 6884 which are the last 4 of the UPC on the tire. All in silver. Anything else I can look for to tell me the driver or race date? Any info would be awesome! Once again I'm a beginner collector and this is my first post so be easy on me! Thank you! (Photo attached)
What's the D number on the sidewall of the tire?What's the tread of the tire look like?

Pardon my skepticism, but since it isn't torn into shreds and on fire, I have my doubts that it is a genuine Goodyear tire from this season.

What's the tread of the tire look like?

tread? this reminds me of the guy on tv saying next time you rent a dvd don't rewind it. i know what you meant, just got a good tickle reading it.

Last edited:
nice. i've been to the hall of fame, it was okay, but i liked daytona usa a whole lot better, but if i had 2 days to spend at the HOF, i believe i would have enjoyed it better

The problem I see is, where is Biffle going to go next?

Back
Top Bottom