Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about.....

Oh Christ almighty. Before you know it a quarter of the schedule will be rinkydink track day infield road courses. Pocono is unique enough as it is.
Fair criticism of many infield road courses, but not Pocono IMO. That is about as shallow of an analysis as calling all 1.5 mile tracks "cookie cutters," including Darlington, Homestead, Atlanta, Kentucky, Texas, etc.

Fair criticism of many infield road courses, but not Pocono IMO. That is about as shallow of an analysis as calling all 1.5 mile tracks "cookie cutters," including Darlington, Homestead, Atlanta, Kentucky, Texas, etc.

Its not just that, its the fact of this trend growing more into something that does not need to occur. Its kind of like Eldora, its special because its a one-off deal for the Truck Series. I think it will work at Charlotte, its going to be hard to pass in the in field though.

Cool add a roval at somewhere like Daytona, it would be cool. We just don't want a schedule full of rovals.

DGFJs4gXsAAyFmo.jpg:large

Its not just that, its the fact of this trend growing more into something that does not need to occur. Its kind of like Eldora, its special because its a one-off deal for the Truck Series. I think it will work at Charlotte, its going to be hard to pass in the in field though.

Cool add a roval at somewhere like Daytona, it would be cool. We just don't want a schedule full of rovals.
with a free market economy, let the races that draw the most interest win. Everybody just loooves the 1.5's right? All of the road courses in all three series are generating interest. Watkins Glenn to the dismay of some has been voted Nascar's most favorite track. At the very least it is a very popular race. Who knows until you try, Pocono could be another one. Beautiful area.

Target might be leaving the series but it doesn't leave broke with their tail between their legs, if fact one could say some of them might be looking a little funny at the new upper management sponsoring kick ball to a very small audience.

Every person on /r/NASCAR is saying now that if you have two dates one needs to be on a combined oval/infield road course layout.

Every retard on /r/NASCAR is saying now that if you have two dates one needs to be on a combined oval/infield road course layout.
I'd love to see a race on Dovers infield layout, completely flat cinder harness racing track I'm in.

with a free market economy, let the races that draw the most interest win. Everybody just loooves the 1.5's right? All of the road courses in all three series are generating interest. Watkins Glenn to the dismay of some has been voted Nascar's most favorite track. At the very least it is a very popular race. Who knows until you try, Pocono could be another one. Beautiful area.
Pocono is not a 1.5. Charlotte might work, in that fans wanted a playoff race to be on a road course and Charlotte had overwhelmingly fallen out of favor with the fans as well. Ignoring the pissing and moaning of Kyle Damn Busch winning and over the past several years Pocono has generally been well-received and seemingly well-attended. And it's literally the most distinct freaking "oval" on the schedule. Don't change what isn't broken. Good grief.

Pocono is not a 1.5. Charlotte might work, in that fans wanted a playoff race to be on a road course and Charlotte had overwhelmingly fallen out of favor with the fans as well. Ignoring the pissing and moaning of Kyle Damn Busch winning and over the past several years Pocono has generally been well-received and seemingly well-attended. And it's literally the most distinct freaking "oval" on the schedule. Don't change what isn't broken. Good grief.
I understand Pocono isn't a 1.5, Kyle Busch has never won a race at Charlotte. First time winner at Pocono. don't think that is the reasoning, fan pressure is I believe. What I was referring to is compared to 1.5's, road courses are creating more interest than they are. Pocono might win in the court of public opinion compared to the triangle both times.

I understand Pocono isn't a 1.5, Kyle Busch has never won a race at Charlotte. First time winner at Pocono. don't think that is the reasoning, fan pressure is I believe. What I was referring to is compared to 1.5's, road courses are creating more interest than they are. Pocono might win in the court of public opinion compared to the triangle both times.
I worded that poorly. Besides the race yesterday Pocono has gotten a lot of favorable reviews recently, and I suspect that much of the reason why yesterday's didn't was because of the drivers who* dominated yesterday and their manufacturer affiliation. It's odd to me that after all of the momentum Pocono has gotten that they would be interested in changing it. Like I said, the Charlotte race is a fix for two things that were "broken". I just don't see what a Pocono road course would do. I do think that some other tracks present reasonable options for road courses. I'd like to see actual road courses get an opportunity but unfortunately ISC/SMI have a stranglehold on the schedule so it'd have to be a Kansas or something.

Last edited:
I worded that poorly. Besides the race yesterday Pocono has gotten a lot of favorable reviews recently, and I suspect that much of the reason why yesterday's didn't was because of the drivers who* dominated yesterday and their manufacturer affiliation. It's odd to me that after all of the momentum Pocono has gotten that they would be interested in changing it. Like I said, the Charlotte race is a fix for two things that were "broken". I just don't see what a Pocono road course would do. I do think that some other tracks present reasonable options for road courses. I'd like to see actual road courses get an opportunity but unfortunately ISC/SMI have a stranglehold on the schedule so it'd have to be a Kansas or something.
It would be awful easy at Pocono, they just finished a major upgrade to the road course, they own the track. The new track CEO is all over wanting a road course race. He's wanting to gamble on his nickel.

Remember that NASCAR just trialed a completely new aero package at Indy to great results, and it's no big secret that it's going to be employed at Pocono too. They won't need a road race to spice up the action. Plus, I think we're all getting a little ahead of ourselves thinking that more road racing, especially on infield courses, is somehow the magic elixir for this sport.

Remember that NASCAR just trialed a completely new aero package at Indy to great results, and it's no big secret that it's going to be employed at Pocono too. They won't need a road race to spice up the action. Plus, I think we're all getting a little ahead of ourselves thinking that more road racing, especially on infield courses, is somehow the magic elixir for this sport.

some of us are all in, get the ducts out for the triangle, squirt it full of trackbite, and try out the road course. change to suit. People have been screaming for different tracks for years. do something different IMO

That' s news to me. On Cup cars? I hadn't heard an announcement that it was going to be used at Indy for Xfinity next year, much less anywhere else in other series.

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-3_10-48-28.jpeg
    upload_2017-8-3_10-48-28.jpeg
    21.1 KB · Views: 163
On the way home from Virginia Beach today, going down I81, we passed 11 team transpoters on the way to Watkins Glen. All Gibbs trucks were nose to tail. The 88 and 48 were as well. To my sons dismay, we didn't see Chase Elliott's.

Something I noticed today - since the start of the 2016 season the drivers who have led the third- and fourth-most laps combine to have led exactly as many laps as Martin Truex Jr. has.

HUCCRSu.png

On the way home from Virginia Beach today, going down I81, we passed 11 team transpoters on the way to Watkins Glen. All Gibbs trucks were nose to tail. The 88 and 48 were as well. To my sons dismay, we didn't see Chase Elliott's.
Pretty sweet, I saw an Air Titan on the interstate one year driving to Talladega or Atlanta I believe it was.

After Gordon's final win at Martinsville, I departed the track about 2 hrs after the race and began my drive back home to FL. Decided to stop through Concord for a bite to eat and as I walk out of the Jack in the Box on Bruton Smith Blvd, here comes the 24 hauler driving by in the rain lol. Was pretty sweet, really capped the day off. I got my phone out as fast I could and got a nice, blurry photo :D

Back
Top Bottom