Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about.....

Today I found out from a Fortune.com article that in 2005, on top of NASCAR being the second most-watched sport in the country behind the NFL, "the NASCAR name is (was) so hot that market research firm PSB picked it as the country's No. 2 brand for 2005, ahead of both Google and iPod (BlackBerry was No. 1)".

"Teams that win the most regular-season races or games in other sports don’t always win the championship. ... NASCAR’s history is filled with years when the driver that won the most races didn’t win the title, ..."

What some of us liked about the old format was that it explicitly DIDN'T matter who won the most races, that it was instead based on consistent performance over the full season.

With that said, I'm am NOT saying those who won championships under the various Chase / Playoff formats are undeserving champions or that they should be regarded differently from those who came before them. All a driver and team can do is compete under the rules in effect at the time of their participation. I am only expressing my opinion for the format that emphasizes season-long performance over ones that emphasize performance in the last 10 races, especially on a series of tracks that are in the playoffs simply because there were last on the schedule under the old format.

"Teams that win the most regular-season races or games in other sports don’t always win the championship. ... NASCAR’s history is filled with years when the driver that won the most races didn’t win the title, ..."

What some of us liked about the old format was that it explicitly DIDN'T matter who won the most races, that it was instead based on consistent performance over the full season.

With that said, I'm am NOT saying those who won championships under the various Chase / Playoff formats are undeserving champions or that they should be regarded differently from those who came before them. All a driver and team can do is compete under the rules in effect at the time of their participation. I am only expressing my opinion for the format that emphasizes season-long performance over ones that emphasize performance in the last 10 races.
Yep. My thoughts as well.

I'm more or less one of the people that he described. That's okay with me. I've got far more years as a fan of this sport pre Chase years than post. I liked that the best driver over the entire season wining the championship over the best in a post season type format. Stick & ball has their format for crowning a champion and NASCAR had its format. It was okay that they weren't one and the same.

I read some where that 56% of the time the driver with the most wins in a season didn't win the championship. I guess it is human nature to think that the guy who wins the most races has to be the champion. But sometimes it is, some time it isn't, running well all season can win the championship. In before Truex loses the big dance.

Truex won the most this year and he could lose the championship because some idiot wants TV time so he races Truex very hard and takes them both out.

Matt just got caught in the money game. If his desire is to have a chance at winning each race then he has to go to one of the best teams and driver for peanuts. Those teams want to win all the time so they would take a chance and give him a ride.
If Matt wants to race for the money, welllllllll you can see where that got him so far for 2018. If he sits out this year, I doubt he will ever come back.
JGR spent a lot of driver money trying to win the championship with DH,KB,CE and MK and they came up short and got beat by a team with one winning driver. I think they learned their lesson and after Carl walked they realized they are better off going with KB and putting it all on the line for the #18. oooooooooooooooooooor #11.
The #78 will beat them.

Hehe, giggling like a school girl over here, my Chase Elliott kits are being shipped by FedEx :lol2::lol2::lol2:

Random thought I had about the championship format: I know a lot of you don't like the gimmickyness of the current championship format, and I'm with you.

What if the Homestead race was like treated just like any other race in the playoff rounds? AKA, the championship would be determined by wins, and then points, instead of being determined by straight up finishing order. So instead of all the playoff points being wiped out and the championship being determined by a 1 race finishing order regardless of stages, the bottom three would have to win the race to win the championship or else points (playoff carryover+stage+finishing) would determine the championship. So this year, truex would win the championship on points unless one of the other three finalists wins the race. This is how the cutoff for the playoffs is determined and the cutoff for each round too, so what about homestead? Thoughts?

Random thought I had about the championship format: I know a lot of you don't like the gimmickyness of the current championship format, and I'm with you.

What if the Homestead race was like treated just like any other race in the playoff rounds? AKA, the championship would be determined by wins, and then points, instead of being determined by straight up finishing order. So instead of all the playoff points being wiped out and the championship being determined by a 1 race finishing order regardless of stages, the bottom three would have to win the race to win the championship or else points (playoff carryover+stage+finishing) would determine the championship. So this year, truex would win the championship on points unless one of the other three finalists wins the race. This is how the cutoff for the playoffs is determined and the cutoff for each round too, so what about homestead? Thoughts?
Yes, this, I can agree with this.

I don't dislike it as much as the current method. I don't see myself liking any format where the final race is the determinant.

Almost anything is better than the "Lottery" Championship they have now. Imagine if in the old days they gave the championship to the 4th place car if he outran the champion in the last race? I doubt racing will be a part of my life after this season.

Dale J. Left Joe Gibbs to drive for Yates on a hand shake?
Apparently so according to that article, man how things were different from now. I’m still floored by Earnhardt to Yates things would have been so different. To go from Goodwrench to Ford Quality Care Credit....peoples heads would have exploded

Apparently so according to that article, man how things were different from now. I’m still floored by Earnhardt to Yates things would have been so different. To go from Goodwrench to Ford Quality Care Credit....peoples heads would have exploded
I wonder if RCR would have survived that move. RCR never had a decent second driver while Dale was there. Harvick was the only decent driver after Dale.

I don't dislike it as much as the current method. I don't see myself liking any format where the final race is the determinant.
Agree 100%. I like this format more than the lottery we got in 2014-16, at least there was some semblance of full season consistency with the Stage points but it took another gimmick like that to get there. Gimmick upon gimmick....I will say though I am super amped for Phoenix as well as the Ford Homestead Miami Championship Bowl as I feel the group of 4 we will get are going to be pretty racy. At this point it is what it is... I’ll take my gimmicks and make the best of it. I’m 33, at this point in my life I doubt NASCAR will ever go back to the full season points system that worked so I mind as well embrace it.

I wonder if RCR would have survived that move. RCR never had a decent second driver while Dale was there. Harvick was the only decent driver after Dale.
Right! And who would RC have put in the 3?? I feel like if this happened RCR would have been the first super team from the 80’s/90’s to fall on hard times instead of Roush

Harvick kept them relevant for so long, it really was an accomplishment what he did there. In the championship hunt in 05,06,07 and on, he really is a franchise driver.

Almost anything is better than the "Lottery" Championship they have now. Imagine if in the old days they gave the championship to the 4th place car if he outran the champion in the last race? I doubt racing will be a part of my life after this season.
That is what I was agreeing with, its better than the current you played the lucky numbers lotto final 10 races game.

Dale Earnhardt Sr leads the field on the 1979 NAPA 400 pace lap.

DOZJ9L4UEAAisX9.jpg:large

Honestly the lack of knowledge of NASCAR history is stunning on a forum as this at times.

The whole reason for The Chase and this is because Matt Kenseth with one win won a title, while Ryan Newman with 8 wins, Kurt Busch with 4, Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordon with 3 didn't even come close.

You say it's gimmicky, but for me it's much more demanding and fair than what we've seen in the past

Honestly the lack of knowledge of NASCAR history is stunning on a forum as this at times.

The whole reason for The Chase and this is because Matt Kenseth with one win won a title, while Ryan Newman with 8 wins, Kurt Busch with 4, Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordon with 3 didn't even come close.

You say it's gimmicky, but for me it's much more demanding and fair than what we've seen in the past
Sometimes a lack of a big picture is worse than a “lack of knowledge in history”... for instance Ryan Newman crashed or broke 7 times in 2003 with 17 top 5’s and 22 top 10’s. Sure he was fast , probably the fastest car that year. But Matt had 11 top 5’s (which Newman beat him in)and 25 top 10’s. Out of 34 points races the dude finished in the top 10, 25 out of 34, that’s insane. But..here’s where that big picture comes in and maybe a lack of an understanding on a how a full season points championship should work, Matt had 2 DNF’s all year. Roush and the 17 team had a bullet proof car that finished every week. Where as Penske, Borland and the 12 folks had a faster car but it was not dependable, 7 DNF’s makes it hard to win Championships. Out of 34 points paying races Ryan didn’t finish 20% of the races that year. Sorry in my world that’s not a championship race team in a system that rewards the full body of work

Last edited:
Sometimes a lack of a big picture is worse than a “lack of knowledge in history”... for instance Ryan Newman crashed or broke 7 times in 2003 with 17 top 5’s and 22 top 10’s. Sure he was fast , probably the fastest car that year. But Matt had 11 top 5’s (which Newman beat him in)and 25 top 10’s. Out of 34 points races the dude finished in the top 10, 25 out of 34, that’s insane. But..here’s where that big picture comes in and maybe a lack of an understanding on a how a full season points championship should work, Matt had 2 DNF’s all year. Roush and the 17 team had a bullet proof car that finished every week. Where as Penske, Borland and the 12 folks had a faster car but it was not dependable, 7 DNF’s makes it hard to win Championships, Ryan didn’t finish 7 races that year. Sorry in my world that’s not a championship race team in a system that rewards the full body of work

To single Kenseth out or Martin? both were "points racers" meaning they don't over drive the car, don't take many chances and try to finish well. From the dirt track up to cup, points racers are in every series. Nascar wants 6 wide, side by side racing for the win.

To single Kenseth out or Martin? both were "points racers" meaning they don't over drive the car, don't take many chances and try to finish well. From the dirt track up to cup, points racers are in every series. Nascar wants 6 wide, side by side racing for the win.
I feel like if you looked up “over driving the car” the 2003 Alltel 12 team is in the team picture. Fast yes, but always found trouble. Matt in the Roush years and especially Martin drove in a way that they made the race come to them and for some strange reason were always there contending for wins with 50-75 to go.

you missed the point. Nascar has changed the points system to reward winning over contending for wins. Doesn't matter who the driver is. Ironically Ryan Newman is another points racer now days. Got to do what ya got to do if you don't have the car. Stay out of trouble don't over drive the car taking chances because you don't have a win to get in. Martin: only 40 wins in 31 years. But 453 top 10's

Try as you might, justification for NASCAR's Chase System is futile at best. It's done nothing but diminish the meaning of a NASCAR Champion in this fan's eye's. It's proven to be a failed project from the beginning prompting almost as many changes in format as its number of years of its existence. The only thing that has happened as a result of its implementation is the alienation of a once rampant fan-base while largely failing to attract the new NASCAR fan.

you missed the point. Nascar has changed the points system to reward winning over contending for wins. Doesn't matter who the driver is. Ironically Ryan Newman is another points racer now days. Got to do what ya got to do if you don't have the car. Stay out of trouble don't over drive the car taking chances because you don't have a win to get in. Martin: only 40 wins in 31 years. But 453 top 10's
I know what you were saying, I was trying to justify my quote from earlier. Well I agree with you up to a point, you can point your way into the Homstead Bowl with this points system. Chase has a shot today to get to Miami as well as JJ, or Blaney for example and none of those fellas have as many wins as Busch or Truex. Look at Harvick he’s only got one win and is in Miami. Winning is the best way to go in this system no doubt but keep your equipment running with timely finishes can get you far. I’d rather win though to be safe.

I actually agreed with your point earlier and was backing up yours. Damn message boards!

Yeah it doesn't exclude points racers completely, but they have a harder road with this system. Under the old system McMurray and Logano would be 9th and10th. Kenseth? 8th. Instead of 15, 17, and 9th. ah it is what it is I guess

Last edited:
I've said all along I'd like 35 races, take the top 2 in wins and other two in points, or simply top 4 in points and then do the Homestead Bowl. I am a fan of that "bowl" though, playoffs may not be for racing but a championship race for sure is

Back
Top Bottom