Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about.....

“NASCAR issued the initial 36 charters in 2015 at no cost to the owners of the 36 cars that had been full time for the previous three seasons. The price of charters sold or leased by the teams is not public, but the lawsuit claims Front Row paid $2 million for the charter that BK Racing had used to field the No. 83 car in 2016.”

Tidy.
But not as tidy as the reported 10 million for each of MWR charters.

^ That got blown up by some press.

“Kauffman sold both for “low single-digit millions,” to Joe Gibbs Racing for Carl Edwards’ No. 19 Toyota and Stewart-Haas Racing for Kurt Busch’s No. 41 Chevrolet.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...anassi-racing-rob-kauffman-charters/80571222/

More recently:

“That includes Tommy Baldwin Racing selling its charter to Leavine Family Racing for $3.5 million, and BK Racing selling one of its charters to Front Row Motorsports for around $2 million, according to several sources.”

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2017/04/03/Franchises/NASCAR-charters.aspx?

So the charters are becoming worthless, who could have foreseen this?!?

I could compromise and have exciting tracks like Martinsville have 0 stages but boring tracks like Kansas have 7 stages.

Bud Moore and a young Earnhardt Sr.
DPum5OLUIAACsDE.jpg:large

I saw a graphic yesterday and noticed that they're adding back 50 lbs of downforce to the cup cars next year. 1,650 lbs which is up from 1,600 this past season. In 2016 it was at 2,100 lbs.

For the gurus out there, will the changes to the splitter and reduced fans counteract that, or is that figure of 1,650 lbs already taking those changes into effect? I thought the trend (or at least they insinuated so) was going to be continuing to reduce overall downforce, so this grabbed my attention.

I saw a graphic yesterday and noticed that they're adding back 50 lbs of downforce to the cup cars next year. 1,650 lbs which is up from 1,600 this past season. In 2016 it was at 2,100 lbs.

For the gurus out there, will the changes to the splitter and reduced fans counteract that, or is that figure of 1,650 lbs already taking those changes into effect? I thought the trend (or at least they insinuated so) was going to be continuing to reduce overall downforce, so this grabbed my attention.

I'm pretty sure Toyota's new body style has added back at least 50lbs of downforce to the cars, and that trend will only continue as they work on it more. So for all the work Denny and Carl supposedly did to move the sport towards lower downforce and "put the race in the hands of the drivers", their teams turned right around and designed a car that went in the complete opposite direction. "Rules for thee, not for me", it's the TRD way.

where do you see the graphic?

So the charters are becoming worthless, who could have foreseen this?!?
As you are undoubtedly aware, Nascar payments to chartered teams are influenced by historical performance over the previous three years. So the current market value of a charter that ran up front in 2017-'16-'15 would be higher than one that has been a backmarker. It is intricate, but not really difficult to understand.

During the last of the sister era, pre-COT, the number got to 3,000 pounds, give or take. That number and those you've referenced are all derived from wind-tunnel tests conducted at air-speeds from 130 to 160 mph. At 200 mph, they're all significantly higher.

I'd say their 2018 figure / estimate includes all the changes listed. If they're adding a bit, it suggests they've reached the limit ... any less and instability gets to the point of making the cars virtually undriveable at current race speeds. There's a line they and their liability insurors can't cross.

Paul Menard is good at that, at least I think he races snowmobiles
“I’m probably going to own an ice racing team at some point,” Menard said of his future plans Wednesday during the NASCAR Media Tour in Charlotte. Why ice racing for Menard? First off, he’s been doing it since he was 15 years old. And while Menard has only one NASCAR Cup win (2011 Brickyard 4oo) and two Xfinity triumphs, he’s a 10-time event winner in International Ice Racing Association competition

Gilles Villenue, Dick Trickle, among others have raced here,

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pat
Paul Menard is good at that, at least I think he races snowmobiles
“I’m probably going to own an ice racing team at some point,” Menard said of his future plans Wednesday during the NASCAR Media Tour in Charlotte. Why ice racing for Menard? First off, he’s been doing it since he was 15 years old. And while Menard has only one NASCAR Cup win (2011 Brickyard 4oo) and two Xfinity triumphs, he’s a 10-time event winner in International Ice Racing Association competition
Looks like what Paul does is in cars according to their website.
http://www.iceracemn.com
download.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom