Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about.....

Yeah, that's what a lot of people learn the hard way.

False sense of security. It's easy to get caught up in that.
yep, first time 4X4 drivers are dangerous. I sure was.:p
I was taught how to drive a 4X4 by the knot method. Each time I veered from what I was being taught I got another knot on the head. It worked. :D

I KNOW I can't handle it. My 2WD vehicles don't leave the neighborhood until I can get the tires on at least one side on clear pavement. Let them blow by me over on that firmly packed stuff; I'll see them again in a few miles.

We have a good 4 months of snow, besides spring and fall. One thing I learned long ago is drive in 2 wheel and use 4 wheel to get unstuck. On nights when I have to drive on the highway in snow storms I use 4 wheel high and drive about 50 mph or slower.
All the vehicles in the ditch or hooked to tow trucks have AWD symbols on them. :D

Here's the audio and transcript of an NPR radio story on Millennial / Gen Z attitudes toward car ownership:

I find it a bit ironic that the commentator twice mentions that if they need a car, her generation calls Lyft or Uber. I wonder what they'll do when my generation of car owners decides / is forced to stop driving (or dies)? :blink:

Here's the audio and transcript of an NPR radio story on Millennial / Gen Z attitudes toward car ownership:

I find it a bit ironic that the commentator twice mentions that if they need a car, her generation calls Lyft or Uber. I wonder what they'll do when my generation of car owners decides / is forced to stop driving (or dies)? :blink:

In a lot of countries the average citizen do not own cars.
We are spoiled and so our thinking is not geared to being thrifty. Many people here buy a pickup
at about $50,000 plus insurance and yet they only use it a few times a year. Mostly it is a daily driver for which you could have a 4 cyl puddle jumper for 1/4 of the cost. I used to just rent a truck for 2 wks a year when I wanted to go camping. For everything else I had a small trailer I could pull with my car.
I never understood the WHY for people to go so far in debt for nothing.

In a lot of countries the average citizen do not own cars.
We are spoiled and so our thinking is not geared to being thrifty. Many people here buy a pickup
at about $50,000 plus insurance and yet they only use it a few times a year. Mostly it is a daily driver for which you could have a 4 cyl puddle jumper for 1/4 of the cost. I used to just rent a truck for 2 wks a year when I wanted to go camping. For everything else I had a small trailer I could pull with my car.
I never understood the WHY for people to go so far in debt for nothing.
Pros and cons. Other countries have much better public transportation systems than we do in the US, esp. at the national level. On the other hand, it's easier to implement a national transit system in countries much smaller than ours.

Pros and cons. Other countries have much better public transportation systems than we do in the US, esp. at the national level. On the other hand, it's easier to implement a national transit system in countries much smaller than ours.

We also made a pretty deliberate policy decision in the 1950's to a) dismantle our existing public transit systems, b) demolish central city neighborhoods to build freeways through them for commuters, and c) spend millions to build new suburbs farther and farther away from downtown. And that's just at the local level, nothing to do with the railroads and such. It's no wonder why public transit "just doesn't work" in the US or why for 90% of the country the only way to get around is to hop in a gas car and drive several miles.

Didn't see this. Not shocking. France must've had some substance to attend to....

WTF! Did it really go like this? WOW! If so, that is some weird sh!t right there now.

When they introduced Brian he went over to Martin and shook his hand and said something to him. Maybe he was suppose to do that after introducing Martin.

Not sure about USA but I know here in Canada the truck industry lobby won the war so now railways are almost finished. Other countries can move people across country at the speed of Nascar.

Not sure about USA but I know here in Canada the truck industry lobby won the war so now railways are almost finished. Other countries can move people across country at the speed of Nascar.
A lot of that depends on the price of gas and the volume to be moved. When the fuel costs and / or the volume to be transported go up, rail is the cheaper way to move stuff.

Sez the guy who works for a rail and mass transit supplier.

If only NASCAR had such dedicated fans.....

DQtigfMW4AYVTxH.jpg:large

There's a fine line between dedicated and stupid.

Seriously, I don't own the gear necessary to survive under those conditions, and it isn't worth my owning it for a couple of events a year.

And that was for a .500 team.

The pic makes me feel bad for complaining about a little chilly weather when attending the spring Bristol and Martinsville in past years.
I'm trying to work out the logistics for us to attend the Martinsville spring race this year. Maybe I'll look like the guy in blue in the foreground. :D

It’s looking less likely that Danica Patrick will get a ride for the Indianapolis 500.

Her best option at one last ride at Indy seems to be fading fast. Chip Ganassi Racing owner Chip Ganassi said recently that talks with Patrick have “stalled”.

“It’s not anyone’s fault or any reason, I think it is just we, sort of, have different things in mind,” added Ganassi. “Nobody is right or wrong here but, yeah, probably not going to happen.”

http://autozaurus.top/patrick-deserves-send-off-not-fade-away/

I'm trying to work out the logistics for us to attend the Martinsville spring race this year. Maybe I'll look like the guy in blue in the foreground. :D
Notice the guy in the foreground is wearing a Colts hat. I suspect he's there because it's his only chance to see his team this season.

It's a few years old, but I came across a good read about Felix Sabates.......

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/c...-sabates-turned-cuban-dreams-american-success
Excellent read....... thank you very much...........I really wish I could find the article I read many years ago about when Kyle Petty won the pole at Daytona..... it was about how Felix went to dinner that night and all the car owners were congratulating him..... he didn't know diddly about the ins and outs.... but...... (can't recall who the crew chief was)...... but he mentioned something about nitrous..... well........ Felix said said.... ''Yeah.... that nitrous is great''........ :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom