Random NASCAR Stuff to talk about.....

Why does NASCAR have different sets of rules for the Grand National, the Sportsman and their newly acquired ARCA. I still refer those divisions as that because the name changes with new sponsors.
The rules are made to make the drivers as safe as possible on the super speedways so why have 3 sets of rules ? That is to say if a less expensive ARCA car is safe enough to race at Daytona, Talladega, Indy and the likes, then why add on more costs .
By having less expensive cars then NASCAR could go back to full fields.
Maybe NASCAR did not those "Start and Park" teams but it was a valuable experience for low budget race teams and for drivers to get some great seat time.
I remember my first time entering the garage area at Talladega, (my first time at a track bigger than a quarter mile), I was with an ARCA team that was running the same weekend as NASCAR Grand Nationals. Man it was overwhelming. Once we signed in we had to set up our garage area, set up our pit area, go through tech inspection and start getting in some practice, making adjustments and more practice , then qualifications before the race. I can not imagine how it would be for a driver going to a big time racing event at such a place.
I think one of my biggest memories from that experience was meeting Benny Parsons who had moved up from ARCA to NASCAR. He was talking to the driver of the team I was on and then he started talking to me as if he had known me for a long time, I think he realized that I was kind of overwhelmed and kind of nervous, but after a few minutes he made me feel relaxed, he just had this great personality. He was a great driver, a really nice person and a great announcer.
So why can't NASCAR get some decent announcers ? I can not stand Jeff Burton as an announcer, I liked him as a driver, but he gets so excited, sometimes over nothing and his voice goes up in pitch and its like someone running their finger nails on a chalkboard.
I hate to say this but Dale Earnhardt Jr has the same problem. The two of them really makes one want to turn the volume down.
What ever happened to Allen Bestwick ?
Anybody remember Larry Number from the old ASA series, I liked him as an announcer.
They need to put Dale Jr in the pit area and do the tech stuff.
Dale Jarrett and Kyle Petty seem to be the best announcers at this time.

A couple of thoughts. First, ARCA cars tend to be hand-me-down cars from NASCAR, so they for the most part are at least a generation behind what the Cup Series is running. They are safe, FAR safer than they were at the beginning of my ARCA tenure (2000), but they are not the ultimate in safety, and if they were, 95% of the ARCA teams couldn't afford to run. As it is, they haven't been able to have full fields for quite some time. NASCAR IS doing what you are suggesting, the new Gen 7 Cup car IS supposed to be a LOT cheaper to buy and field than the current car. We'll see how that actually goes in practice. Finally, it was Larry NUBER, and yes, a LOT of us liked him as an announcer. Sadly, he's been dead since 2000.

I love Jr in the booth.. and Burton is alright.. although that's mostly because I like when drivers are in the booth. They could do better than Burton but they could do worse.

As for that other stuff.. :idunno:

I love Jr in the booth.. and Burton is alright.. although that's mostly because I like when drivers are in the booth. They could do better than Burton but they could do worse.

As for that other stuff.. :idunno:

Holy cow, you must like it when the wife gets on your case. :D
I like Junior but NOT calling a race and Burton is my least favorite announcer,
chalk board was a good description of his voice. Phony as all hell.

I can not stand Jeff Burton as an announcer, I liked him as a driver, but he gets so excited, sometimes over nothing and his voice goes up in pitch and its like someone running their finger nails on a chalkboard.
I hate to say this but Dale Earnhardt Jr has the same problem. The two of them really makes one want to turn the volume down.

Amen.

Couldn’t find that but he may have. The only consistent commentary I ever saw was here ...

Marchionne killed it when Penske was running the Dodge and he started talking to NASCAR about a return in 2016. He’s dead and so is that idea.

Holy cow, you must like it when the wife gets on your case. :D
I like Junior but NOT calling a race and Burton is my least favorite announcer,
chalk board was a good description of his voice. Phony as all hell.
I could definitely do without Burton.. ...but I like Jr the booth for sure

Jr did great at his own announcers table -- for the Indy Xfinity race.

Daniel Hemric leads Ryan Preece by 19 points in the Rookie of the Year battle. No they're not running up front each week but with ten races left this year they have a good chance of out-performing last year's ROY William Byron...which I find impressive.

2018 William Byron- 4 top-tens and 22.1 average finish

2019 Daniel Hemric- 2 top-tens and 22.9 average finish
2019 Ryan Preece- 3 top-tens and 23.5 average finish

Daniel Hemric leads Ryan Preece by 19 points in the Rookie of the Year battle. No they're not running up front each week but with ten races left this year they have a good chance of out-performing last year's ROY William Byron...which I find impressive.

2018 William Byron- 4 top-tens and 22.1 average finish

2019 Daniel Hemric- 2 top-tens and 22.9 average finish
2019 Ryan Preece- 3 top-tens and 23.5 average finish

I really thought Byron had a little better rookie season than that, must be the recency bias of qualifying well & running better in 2019.

Though I'm not sure they're close to the level (or equipment too) as Byron, Byron's 4 top 10's were all at non-plate tracks while Hemric had 1 top 10 at 'Dega & Preece had 2 top 10's on plate tracks. Preece has actually looked a bit better lately.

Growing pains are a real thing for sure.

Last edited:
Pretty interesting points comparison from the first part to the last part of the season. Byron among some of the others show a good increase. I am not surprised that Byron is doing so well with many of the tracks are second time attempts. Bryon is a quick study and having a proven veteran like Chad in the pits is proving to be a good move.

EEB-HGGXkAElKhQ.jpg:large

Pretty interesting points comparison from the first part to the last part of the season. Byron among some of the others show a good increase. I am not surprised that Byron is doing so well with many of the tracks are second time attempts. Bryon is a quick study and having a proven veteran like Chad in the pits is proving to be a good move.

Boy, Chase just fell off a cliff. How about those Burrito numbers?

Bubba Wallace has been slowly improving too. Good job!

Back
Top Bottom