Rolex 24 at Daytona--RACE Thread

Worried for Memo apparently they had to cut him out of the car.
No info at all on conditions sounds bad.

Judging by the looks of the 99, I dunno man...

carbon != steel....

what made it worse was a car with a wedge-shaped non-structured carbon nose/body colliding with a block-shaped highly structured steel body car....

Almost an hour and still absolutely zero news on the drivers' condition..

That ****pit is gone. His feet might have been okay, but the dash and steering wheel have to be pushed back. They may have had to cut the dash out around him....have a feeling that car will be going to somebody's R&D center for analysis, especially the seat belts. It won't be going back to stalling's shop, it's freakishly small, not even room for the 18 wheeler. I don't know if they even have more than 1 spare chassis.

I'm very concerned about his lower body. The whole front clip is gone. Anytime the ****pit is compromised like that it's an ugly sight.

..Not to mention the sudden stop.

I'm very concerned about his lower body. The whole front clip is gone. Anytime the ****pit is compromised like that it's an ugly sight.

..Not to mention the sudden stop.
The picture i'm looking at, the lower structure is still there. But the windshield is pushed back about 6-12 inches. and it folded the roof and blew the doors out.

Last edited:
Bob Stallings Racing is the very end unit in an industrial center. The second picture you can see their 18 wheeler trailer.

1590 TX-121 N Branch Ste #2-100, Lewisville, TX 75057

Screenshot2014-01-25at50337PM.png
Screenshot2014-01-25at50322PM.png

That always concerns me, the family deserves the information first.

Yeah I rewatched it quite a few times. Half the car got pushed back.

I believe under the hood it's all cooling and ductwork, may be wrong on that but atleast there isn't anything real hard being pushed back.. either way.... Horrible impact.

That always concerns me, the family deserves the information first.

It's just weird that there is NO information.. Hope for the best.

On a brighter note, these cars look out of this world at night time inside and out.

Yeah I rewatched it quite a few times. Half the car got pushed back.

I believe under the hood it's all cooling and ductwork, may be wrong on that but atleast there isn't anything real hard being pushed back.. either way.... Horrible impact.

correct. But that's also the bad part. Since there is no substantial anything up there, there is no structure, either. Just the minimum required to hold the suspension and radiator while having as little substance/as little weight as possible. Since there's no structure, the first real impact/crumple zone is the "firewall" which for these cars is really the end of the footbox and dashboard.

correct. But that's also the bad part. Since there is no substantial anything up there, there is no structure, either. Just the minimum required to hold the suspension and radiator while having as little substance/as little weight as possible. Since there's no structure, the first real impact/crumple zone is the "firewall" which for these cars is really the end of the footbox and dashboard.

Judging by the aftermath they should really return to good ole tube chassis'.

Also noticed the splitter's pretty well intact. I have a feeling if he hit a wall head on as opposed to going under the Ferrari, the car probably would have held together better.

Judging by the aftermath they should really return to good ole tube chassis'.
They should, but that would be stupid pricey. What they need to do is do what the open wheel cars do. Have huge impact attenuator blocks in front of the footwell. prototypes could easily add them under the nose. The material is similar to what is in the door of NASCAR bodies now. A very dense, fairly stiff block of foam that will slowly compress and act as a crumple zone when no proper crumple zone exists.

They should, but that would be stupid pricey. What they need to do is do what the open wheel cars do. Have huge impact attenuator blocks in front of the footwell. prototypes could easily add them under the nose. The material is similar to what is in the door of NASCAR bodies now. A very dense, fairly stiff block of foam that will slowly compress and act as a crumple zone when no proper crumple zone exists.
YES

I forget what the requirements for the FSAE cars are. I think it has to be 14x14x6" uncompressed, and they have to make two, and test one in some sort of jig to see what the effective spring rate/crumple force is.

Just read that Marshall Pruett talked to Bob Stallings who said that Memo Gidley was conscious when he was loaded in the ambulance.

Just read that Marshall Pruett talked to Bob Stallings who said that Memo Gidley was conscious when he was loaded in the ambulance.

I just read the same and that he was talking.

pretty cool, female won the continental tire race yesterday along with Reba Mcentire's son.

RacinToday.com

Fall-Line Motorsports co-drivers Shelby Blackstock and Ashley Freiberg claimed their first IMSA Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge victory in Friday’s BMW Performance 200 at Daytona International Speedway when the No. 96 Turner Motorsport BMW M3 originally scored as the winner was excluded from the race due to a technical infraction.

Freiberg became the first woman to win overall in Continental Tire Challenge history. It also was the first Continental Tire Challenge victory for Blackstock, son of singer/actor Reba McEntire.

when Bourdais gets into his Vette DP it is good bye. Don't think Larson has anything for him, no experience.

SRT Vipers staying ahead of the Porsche's and way ahead of the Vettes, that is surprising, second year back.

Back
Top Bottom