SILLY SEASON 2018

I guess they're all juicy. But it's funny how many people contradict each other, so some aren't even worth mentioning. For example, I've heard from three pretty reliable sources three completely different predictions about Aric Almirola & Smithfield. One thinks both will end up at JTG (3rd car), one thinks both will end up at SHR (the 10), one thinks both will be at HMS (the 5). These are people who are normally plugged in. So... two of them, and possibly all of them will be wrong. (Though what I do find interesting is that, obviously, they all seem to think Aric & Smithfield won't be at the 43...so that's something to keep an eye on.)

What have I heard....well...I've heard Danica is done, I've heard the 10 is closing, I've heard the 77 is done and EJ is going to the 20, I've heard Kenseth to the 5 (I know that's a fun joke, but honestly there's a bit of smoke there) I've heard Roush is closing, I've heard RPM is closing, I've heard Bubba to the 43 for the foreseeable future (today's announcement makes me wonder...) I've heard Bowman to the 88, I've heard Carl to the 88 (no joke, good source too), I've always heard Menard to Penske, now I've heard Menard to HMS (my money is still on Penske), I've heard Target is leaving, I've heard Subway is leaving, I've heard Ty to the 31, I've heard Carl to the 1, I've heard Newman to the 1, I've heard Clint to HMS, I've heard Monster is leaving the 41, I've heard Mobil is leaving SHR, I know I'm forgetting a dozen more. Honestly, if you gave me a stack of money and told me to bet on some of these, I'd have no clue where to put it. One thing I do know...and I know this for a fact...there is a lot of uncertainty. Teams aren't even sure about their future plans yet.

To answer a previous question, I'd be shocked if Brad or Blaney move anywhere. Same with Joey. I'm pretty sure Harvick, Kyle, Denny, Austin, Truex, Jimmie, Chase, will remain the same. I'd bet on Kurt and Clint and Larson staying put, but not with the same certainty as the previous list (I'd still bet on it though). I haven't a clue about anything with any real substance. I just get this feeling like someone is going to pick up the snow globe and give it a big shake.
This makes my head spin.....

I guess they're all juicy. But it's funny how many people contradict each other, so some aren't even worth mentioning. For example, I've heard from three pretty reliable sources three completely different predictions about Aric Almirola & Smithfield. One thinks both will end up at JTG (3rd car), one thinks both will end up at SHR (the 10), one thinks both will be at HMS (the 5). These are people who are normally plugged in. So... two of them, and possibly all of them will be wrong. (Though what I do find interesting is that, obviously, they all seem to think Aric & Smithfield won't be at the 43...so that's something to keep an eye on.)

What have I heard....well...I've heard Danica is done, I've heard the 10 is closing, I've heard the 77 is done and EJ is going to the 20, I've heard Kenseth to the 5 (I know that's a fun joke, but honestly there's a bit of smoke there) I've heard Roush is closing, I've heard RPM is closing, I've heard Bubba to the 43 for the foreseeable future (today's announcement makes me wonder...) I've heard Bowman to the 88, I've heard Carl to the 88 (no joke, good source too), I've always heard Menard to Penske, now I've heard Menard to HMS (my money is still on Penske), I've heard Target is leaving, I've heard Subway is leaving, I've heard Ty to the 31, I've heard Carl to the 1, I've heard Newman to the 1, I've heard Clint to HMS, I've heard Monster is leaving the 41, I've heard Mobil is leaving SHR, I know I'm forgetting a dozen more. Honestly, if you gave me a stack of money and told me to bet on some of these, I'd have no clue where to put it. One thing I do know...and I know this for a fact...there is a lot of uncertainty. Teams aren't even sure about their future plans yet.

To answer a previous question, I'd be shocked if Brad or Blaney move anywhere. Same with Joey. I'm pretty sure Harvick, Kyle, Denny, Austin, Truex, Jimmie, Chase, will remain the same. I'd bet on Kurt and Clint and Larson staying put, but not with the same certainty as the previous list (I'd still bet on it though). I haven't a clue about anything with any real substance. I just get this feeling like someone is going to pick up the snow globe and give it a big shake.
You seem pretty plugged in, 2 things...1.) will it ever get out why Carl "retired" 2.) I can't see Menard going to HMS if Lowe's is there...unless Lowe's is leaving or downsizing their sponsporship (hello Nationwide 48)

Last edited:

Holy cow my head is spinning too it's going to be a crazy year. Man id hate to see RFR close but if they merged with Penske i' d feel better. Sponsor problems are doing some much damage to the sport.

30 sponsored cars next year which means a retraction of charters too. Who loses their seat? Danica is done so 10 car is unnecessary. RPM is in trouble. Been just hanging on for last 10 years. Maybe time to shut it down?

It seems as though the situation could be a game of musical chairs with the possibility of 1 or 2 teams going away and/or possibly part time. SHR is lacking sponsors and it sounds like HMS and JGR may be in the same boat even though there is a lot of time yet.

Do you get the sense that it is mainly the dollars required that is making sponsors sit on their hands or does the poor demographic and dwindling interest in the series impact things as well?
Both...when people aren't in the stands looking at your sponsor or not watching it on TV what sense does it make to throw millions at a race team for a season?

I see SHR down to 2 or 3 cars unless sponsorship fixing the 14's/10's problems.

4 JJ/Busch = safe
14 or 41 Haas = safe

Need Aspen/code 3/Rush all to stay if Monster and Mobil 1 leave

My predictions:
1 (40)- McMurray retires and Poole replaces him. DC Solar comes with him. All of McMurray's sponsors move over to the 42 to replace Target which is likely leaving after 2017. Car could be renumbered back to 40 which was used in Ganassi's early days.
2- Brad stays.
5- Kahne leaves Hendrick one before the end of his contract. Allgaier is brought up as his personal sponsor (Brandt) would be enough cover the races in which the 5 needs a sponsor. Byron will stay in Xfinity to get more experience before Johnson's retirement.
10- Danica leaves after a miserable 2017 and the 10 is shut down. All sponsors are moved over to the 14.
12- Penske expands to make room for Blaney.
16- After the charter they released to Daughtery returns, Roush goes back to 3 cars and moves Reed up to Cup.
20. Matt, still having no plans to retire, stays in the 20.
21. After Blaney's move to Penske, the Wood Bros search for a new driver. Blaney, being good friends with Bubba, urges the camp to bring Bubba into the fold, and succeeds.
37. Due to Roush bringing Reed up to Cup, Buescher has now been cut loose from Jack. Fortunately, Daughtery manages to secure a new charter for 2018, and Chris spends another season in the 37.
43. Despite giving Bubba his first chance in the Cup series, Smithfield isn't interested in sponsoring him full-time in 2018, which leads to Aric coming back to the 43 in 2018.
77. Despite initial plans of a one-year deal between Jones and Furniture Row, they stay together as the lineup at Gibbs stays the same.
88 (25)- After heavy endorsement from Junior, Bowman takes over the 88, (hopefully 25), next year.

Heh, heh....

Something's missing.
Is it about the 27? If so, I see Menard staying as there liekly wouldn't be any open rides. Even if there were, it wouldn't allow Ty to move to Childress. They would need a sponsor, and Geico definitely won't leave Germain.

My predictions:
1 (40)- McMurray retires and Poole replaces him. DC Solar comes with him. All of McMurray's sponsors move over to the 42 to replace Target which is likely leaving after 2017. Car could be renumbered back to 40 which was used in Ganassi's early days.
2- Brad stays.
5- Kahne leaves Hendrick one before the end of his contract. Allgaier is brought up as his personal sponsor (Brandt) would be enough cover the races in which the 5 needs a sponsor. Byron will stay in Xfinity to get more experience before Johnson's retirement.
10- Danica leaves after a miserable 2017 and the 10 is shut down. All sponsors are moved over to the 14.
12- Penske expands to make room for Blaney.
16- After the charter they released to Daughtery returns, Roush goes back to 3 cars and moves Reed up to Cup.
20. Matt, still having no plans to retire, stays in the 20.
21. After Blaney's move to Penske, the Wood Bros search for a new driver. Blaney, being good friends with Bubba, urges the camp to bring Bubba into the fold, and succeeds.
37. Due to Roush bringing Reed up to Cup, Buescher has now been cut loose from Jack. Fortunately, Daughtery manages to secure a new charter for 2018, and Chris spends another season in the 37.
43. Despite giving Bubba his first chance in the Cup series, Smithfield isn't interested in sponsoring him full-time in 2018, which leads to Aric coming back to the 43 in 2018.
77. Despite initial plans of a one-year deal between Jones and Furniture Row, they stay together as the lineup at Gibbs stays the same.
88 (25)- After heavy endorsement from Junior, Bowman takes over the 88, (hopefully 25), next year.
The only thing I would disagree with would be Penske adding that third car, its been made clear that is not going to happen, but of course anything could happen.

Keep any Carl rumors coming...I'm a desperate man

A recent article could say otherwise: https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...add-ryan-blaney-teams-third-driver/102437430/
Think about it, teams are going to be campaigning for Blaney when he's free. If they add a third car, it'll show Blaney that Penske's absolutely committed to him.
And there is that anything can happen , possible happening, all I was saying is that it was not that long ago that anytime someone brought up Penske adding a third car , it was shot down just as fast( from Penske) good to see Penske realizes the talent that Blaney has , and would be a smart man to bring him over

@Allenbaba thanks for all the juicy inside smoke. My head is spinning as well. What do the drumbeats in the jungle say about the longer term outlook for Ford's commitment to Nascar, considering the changes in executive leadership there? Do you expect the aggressive stance taken by Raj Nair and Dave Pericak to survive? Many thanks, in advance.

I'm surprised RPM would consider shutting down especially with Moffitt moving through the ranks.

If all these teams are supposedly in trouble, you'd think NASCAR would do something in a hurry to lower costs even more, maybe not, maybe we'll see 32 or 36 car Cup fields real soon.

I would be shocked if Danica's back in the 10 next year, maybe that top 10 is enough momentum to get things going for the season.

I choose to believe she will back...AFTER HER WIN THIS YEAR! (at the glen...in the rain...)

http://thesportsdaily.com/unexpecte...-in-shr-parting-ways-with-patrick-after-2017/

Stewart-Haas Racing and Danica Patrick are reviewing their options about whether she will continue on as a driver for the team after this year, according to sources. Patrick is signed with SHR through ’18, but there are clauses in her contract that could see the relationship end after this year, and the sides are discussing their choices, sources said. Patrick’s nearly decade-long relationship with GoDaddy that spanned back to her time in IndyCar ended after ’15, and SHR has run into challenges securing primary sponsorship. Nature’s Bakery earlier this year backed away from its three-year, $45M deal after one season.

Holy cow my head is spinning too it's going to be a crazy year. Man id hate to see RFR close but if they merged with Penske i' d feel better. Sponsor problems are doing some much damage to the sport.

I think Nascar's wounds were self inflicted and the sponsors are only reacting to the mess that they made.

How 'bout them charters eh? I saw one listed on eBay with an opening bid of a penny and no reserve.

Heh, heh, heh.....

Roush pulls the plug 'n Stenhouse, Junior ends up in the 10.

Me too. It might make some sense, but I just don't see Coach shuffling Matt to the 77.

The only way I see this happening is if the sponsors go with Matt in order to keep FRR at 2 teams. But this assumes that Eric Jones is having sponsorship issues which I dont think he is. I'm with you guys, I don't see any value in moving Matt.

Is it about the 27? If so, I see Menard staying as there liekly wouldn't be any open rides. Even if there were, it wouldn't allow Ty to move to Childress. They would need a sponsor, and Geico definitely won't leave Germain.
I guess John Menard (his Money, respectively) is more important for RCR than Paul Menard is so I don't think Menard will leave RCR. Otherwise they might be down to a 2-car-team in 2018.

I guess John Menard (his Money, respectively) is more important for RCR than Paul Menard is so I don't think Menard will leave RCR. Otherwise they might be down to a 2-car-team in 2018.
I've said this earlier in the thread but if Paul does leave, and Kahne is out at HMS I would think Kahne to RCR would be a dynamite fit. You'd have Newman, Dillon and Kahne with Ty as the satellite/4th team. Thats a good team there, but of course that sponsorship is the issue.

Matt in the 77 just doesn't make sense. Easier to just have Erik sign another deal with FRR then it would be to flip them. If he does leave JGR I think SHR and Hendrick would be the top contenders.

How is Larson being held back? Isn't he leading the points and has a win, which should probably be at least 2 if you count Dover, and more than 2 if you count how many times he has come in 2nd place this year.

I think CGR has the best Chevys on the track right now, and neither Ford nor Toyota seem to be burning up the track all that much. It actually seems pretty equal this year.

Back
Top Bottom