SILLY SEASON 2018

How is Larson being held back? Isn't he leading the points and has a win, which should probably be at least 2 if you count Dover, and more than 2 if you count how many times he has come in 2nd place this year.

I think CGR has the best Chevys on the track right now, and neither Ford nor Toyota seem to be burning up the track all that much. It actually seems pretty equal this year.

He was being sarcastic about CGR.

How is Larson being held back? Isn't he leading the points and has a win, which should probably be at least 2 if you count Dover, and more than 2 if you count how many times he has come in 2nd place this year.

I think CGR has the best Chevys on the track right now, and neither Ford nor Toyota seem to be burning up the track all that much. It actually seems pretty equal this year.
He isn't. My dumb joke.

Last Silly Season it was a foregone conclusion among many he'd be getting out of that second tier outfit.

A recent article could say otherwise: https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...add-ryan-blaney-teams-third-driver/102437430/
Think about it, teams are going to be campaigning for Blaney when he's free. If they add a third car, it'll show Blaney that Penske's absolutely committed to him.
Blaney is driving an all Penske car with a Penske team. The Wood Bros have the sponsor and are damn good at making that car run up front. Blaney is in good hands and I am sure he knows he is a secure as any ride out there.

Sometimes them pastures on the other side of the fence ain't that green. Larson might have a teammate reminding him of that as we speak...

He's not going anywhere, I would be blown away. To me that would be equivalent to Jeff Gordon leaving Hendrick early in his career.

Ganassi understands what it takes to get the best from whoever drives for him... it's the little things like that which can destroy confidence levels in "some" guys when they try other ventures.

JGR would be crazy not to put the hard sell on Larson as can you imagine a team of Kyle and Kyle plus the kid in the 18 and Jones?

JGR would be crazy not to put the hard sell on Larson as can you imagine a team of Kyle and Kyle plus the kid in the 18 and Jones?
lol that kid is older than Larson, Daniel Suarez is almost 8 months older than Larson(1-7-92/7-31-92) , Eric Jones would be kid being born in 1996

I guess they're all juicy. But it's funny how many people contradict each other, so some aren't even worth mentioning. For example, I've heard from three pretty reliable sources three completely different predictions about Aric Almirola & Smithfield. One thinks both will end up at JTG (3rd car), one thinks both will end up at SHR (the 10), one thinks both will be at HMS (the 5). These are people who are normally plugged in. So... two of them, and possibly all of them will be wrong. (Though what I do find interesting is that, obviously, they all seem to think Aric & Smithfield won't be at the 43...so that's something to keep an eye on.)

What have I heard....well...I've heard Danica is done, I've heard the 10 is closing, I've heard the 77 is done and EJ is going to the 20, I've heard Kenseth to the 5 (I know that's a fun joke, but honestly there's a bit of smoke there) I've heard Roush is closing, I've heard RPM is closing, I've heard Bubba to the 43 for the foreseeable future (today's announcement makes me wonder...) I've heard Bowman to the 88, I've heard Carl to the 88 (no joke, good source too), I've always heard Menard to Penske, now I've heard Menard to HMS (my money is still on Penske), I've heard Target is leaving, I've heard Subway is leaving, I've heard Ty to the 31, I've heard Carl to the 1, I've heard Newman to the 1, I've heard Clint to HMS, I've heard Monster is leaving the 41, I've heard Mobil is leaving SHR, I know I'm forgetting a dozen more. Honestly, if you gave me a stack of money and told me to bet on some of these, I'd have no clue where to put it. One thing I do know...and I know this for a fact...there is a lot of uncertainty. Teams aren't even sure about their future plans yet.

To answer a previous question, I'd be shocked if Brad or Blaney move anywhere. Same with Joey. I'm pretty sure Harvick, Kyle, Denny, Austin, Truex, Jimmie, Chase, will remain the same. I'd bet on Kurt and Clint and Larson staying put, but not with the same certainty as the previous list (I'd still bet on it though). I haven't a clue about anything with any real substance. I just get this feeling like someone is going to pick up the snow globe and give it a big shake.

Of all those random rumors, Roush closing really catches my attention, just seems too big to be real. I can understand why RPM could be at risk of closure if they lose Smithfield. But Roush still has 2 teams with most of their season filled with sponsors in cup (Though them closing the 6 XFINITY team midseason certainly raises some red flags). Could things really be that bad financially for the team? Feels like it would take something like John Henry selling his stake in the team (A la MWR) or something along those lines to put it in that position. Has to be something else to that

Larson being at CGR gives him the best chance of running the Indy 500 and he's the last true racer so him leaving is unlikely I think.

Larson being at CGR gives him the best chance of running the Indy 500 and he's the last true racer so him leaving is unlikely I think.
I think as long as Ganassi remains competitive (they have been improving over the last few years, the 42 this year is able to outrun some of the best on a regular basis, the 1 isn't too far off either), Larson will stick with them. Even if Target leaves, another sponsor will be eager to fill the space.

Last edited by a moderator:
If RPM closes, I wonder what becomes of the 43 number and the Petty Blue scheme. I would hope that SHR would buy it, replace the #10 with it, and hire Richard Petty to serve as an ambassador for the team. I want the 43 to be competitive again.
If RPM closes, they no longer will be using the number, and it will be free to use by other teams, but I wouldnt be surprised if there is a gentlemen's agreement that no other team will use the number, remember, NASCAR does not retire numbers.

If RPM closes, I wonder what becomes of the 43 number and the Petty Blue scheme. I would hope that SHR would buy it, replace the #10 with it, and hire Richard Petty to serve as an ambassador for the team. I want the 43 to be competitive again.
The 43 will likely be put on "hold" until Thad Moffitt makes it to Cup. There has already been a small shop built specially for him at RPM...methinks he will be the owner of RPM (or whatever it is called) in a few years if/when they re-open.

If RPM closes, they no longer will be using the number, and it will be free to use by other teams, but I wouldnt be surprised if there is a gentlemen's agreement that no other team will use the number, remember, NASCAR does not retire numbers.
The 43 is iconic. No racer or race team in their right mind would even consider using it even if RPM is done for good. If they did, there would be an uproar greater than what you would see if Brian France became President of the United States.

A few years back when Brett Favre retired (for the 10th and final time) from the NFL, there was a lot of speculation on whether or not the #4 would be used by any Packers players until (or if) his # was retired by the Packers. Every Packers player agreed that the #4 would forever be Favre's no matter if it was ever officially retired. I guarantee the same would go for the #43 in NASCAR. If Austin Dillon wasn't related to Childress there is no way in hell the #3 would have ever been on the track again.

This. I think SHR runs only Harvick, Bowyer and Busch if Danica leaves. Haas can only sponsor so many of his own cars I would think
Oh you might be right that would help there sponsor concern more money in SHR pocket with only 3 cars.

Oh you might be right that would help there sponsor concern more money in SHR pocket with only 3 cars.

Haas has said in the past he'd rather just pay out of pocket and advertise his own company on the cars, rather than undersell on sponsorship. He's one of if not the richest owner in NASCAR. He runs an F1 team as well. I don't think sponsorship is a huge of an issue for them as it looks. Now if they keep the 10 could still be up in the air, could see them drop it and just focus their attention and resources on the 4,14 and 41 for performance reasons (2-3 car teams have been doing better overall than the 4 car teams this year so far)

Haas has said in the past he'd rather just pay out of pocket and advertise his own company on the cars, rather than undersell on sponsorship. He's one of if not the richest owner in NASCAR. He runs an F1 team as well. I don't think sponsorship is a huge of an issue for them as it looks. Now if they keep the 10 could still be up in the air, could see them drop it and just focus their attention and resources on the 4,14 and 41 for performance reasons (2-3 car teams have been doing better overall than the 4 car teams this year so far)

I would love for that team to add a superstar to the 10 car and keep it a four car team that seems very unrealistic with the lack of sponsorship but if they do focus on the three I think it will be positive for them.

I would love for that team to add a superstar to the 10 car and keep it a four car team that seems very unrealistic with the lack of sponsorship but if they do focus on the three I think it will be positive for them.
It certainly wouldn't kill them to get a young driver in that seat. I don't think its totally unrealistic that all 3 of the other SHR drivers would be retired in 5 years. Maybe not Clint but just saying.

Thinkin’ we may have an idea as to why Haas brought in the 10 from Tommy Baldwin ‘n stuck Patrick in it to began with, money. Without it there's no reason to keep the effort.

Now that the marketing angle is wearin’ thin we may be seein’ the end.

I trust the foregoing is acceptable to the management as it’s on the Silly Season topic.

No one is bringing this possibility up, but Kenseth going to Hendrick to drive the #5 for 2018/19

#48 Jimmie Johnson
#25 Alex Bowman
#24 Chase Elliot
#5 Matt Kenseth

No one is bringing this possibility up, but Kenseth going to Hendrick to drive the #5 for 2018/19

#48 Jimmie Johnson
#25 Alex Bowman
#24 Chase Elliot
#5 Matt Kenseth

I'm not disagreeing with anyone suggesting kenseth going elsewhere, but the only question I have would be why?... why make a lateral move from one top team to another, just money?

Just seems like joe Gibbs could make kenseth an offer to keep him.

I'm not disagreeing with anyone suggesting kenseth going elsewhere, but the only question I have would be why?... why make a lateral move from one top team to another, just money?

Erik Jones is the future and the #20 is open for 2018.

If Joe Gibbs is not going to give Jones a top ride, someone else will. That Leaves Kenseth without a ride for 2018 and Kenseth would be a good fit for a couple seasons (and keeping the #5 relevant) before Byron is ready to move up to cup.

Just seems like joe Gibbs could make kenseth an offer to keep him.

I think that Joe Gibbs and Matt Kenseth have a great relationship and they respect each other at the same time I think that Eric Jones is the future of Joe Gibbs Racing and they would mutually respect and understand a movement towards the future so not exactly a lateral move it's just simply a move towards the future that would benefit more than one organization. You have to keep in mind regardless of how old some drivers have raced in the past Matt is the oldest full-time driver and peer pressure if anything might cause him to retire sooner than maybe he would have. so moving on from the 20 to be a placeholder for Hendrick would make total sense.

If you put a gun to my head TODAY...as in right this second...and told me to make a prediction, I would say that next season Erik's in the 20 and Matt's in the 5 (and it wasn't Matt's decision to leave). I'm more confident about Erik in the 20 than Matt going to the 5...but I'm not willing to guarantee either scenario. Things are still extremely cloudy.

Apparently Gene hasn't got the memo that the sponsorship climate has changed and what he thinks is underselling is now market reality. If he holds to that belief there will be at least 3 red and black cars on the track with "Haas Automation" on them. You have to figure when Monster bought the entire series for 20 million it had to put downward pressure on the value of team sponsorship. Another one of Brian's unintended consequences.

I wonder what that charter SHR paid 6 million for 18 or so months ago is worth now?

If you put a gun to my head TODAY...as in right this second...and told me to make a prediction, I would say that next season Erik's in the 20 and Matt's in the 5 (and it wasn't Matt's decision to leave). I'm more confident about Erik in the 20 than Matt going to the 5...but I'm not willing to guarantee either scenario. Things are still extremely cloudy.

From a business standpoint it makes total sense for JGR to divest themselves of Matt.

I have thought since the beginning of the season Danica could be out of the #10 at the end of the season with all the sponsor problems they now have. Her sponsors have been the only thing keeping her in place at SHR.

Speaking of SHR, I'm a little surprised at lack of sponsors for Bowyer. They've had a year to get things in order. Really surprised Bass Pro Shops didn't want to come back. Bowyer would be a natural fit for them.

Jones will be in a Gibbs car sooner rather than later.

[QUOTE="
Speaking of SHR, I'm a little surprised at lack of sponsors for Bowyer. They've had a year to get things in order. Really surprised Bass Pro Shops didn't want to come back. Bowyer would be a natural fit for them. [/QUOTE]

What is it about SHR and attracting sponsors? Competitive, interesting drivers, and yet the checks are slow to come in. Must be something about the people in place and the marching orders from Mr. Haas. Something is gotta change or we may see THREE Haas Automation cars on the track at some point.

Personally, I think Clint would be great for sponsors commercials, just need to match the product to his persona (Wrangler Jeans, Ford trucks, John Deere Tractors).

So where does that leave the current driver of the 5?

Back
Top Bottom