SILLY SEASON 2018

Yep Kenseth and DeWalt have been associated for years, DeWalt when he drove for Roush, came back DeWalt when he drove for Gibbs. I'm supposed to believe he didn't have sponsorship? Like oh sorry Matt we won't sponsor you anymore, we are going with the Jones boy. Not swallowing that. Look at Edwards and Subway. Same thing, Subway sponsored Edwards for years. Gone asap. They blew out early.

Not exactly silly season, but I wasn't sure where to put it. I guess we know why Michael Waltrip mentioned this earlier in the year.

Yep Kenseth and DeWalt have been associated for years, DeWalt when he drove for Roush, came back DeWalt when he drove for Gibbs. I'm supposed to believe he didn't have sponsorship? Like oh sorry Matt we won't sponsor you anymore, we are going with the Jones boy. Not swallowing that. Look at Edwards and Subway. Same thing, Subway sponsored Edwards for years. Gone asap. They blew out early.
They started with him in the Busch Series that was owned By Robby Riser and were on the car for the 1999 season, I think he ran like 5 Cup races in 1999 .
But you are right, Matt and DeWalt had a very long association, it really was for his entire Cup career, kind of cool and probably the last time we might see it.
HHZiD6A.jpg

Last edited:
I worded that wrong, they started out with Matt at the same in both Series.

Put cotton in your ears, wear radio headsets, or they used to be an ear plug consession at the track. For the love of...
Not to mention at RIR anyway the boy scouts sell cheapo plugs for like a dollar or so. You would think people would realize race cars are loud whether they've been to a race before or not o_O

It's too bad Matt and Stanley/Dewalt couldn't have lined up their contracts a little better ... dude might have had a decent ride somewhere.

Monster likes Kurt so well its sponsorship goes with him and Smithfield bought a ride for Almirola so it is evident that Matt and Dewalt are as tight as some believe.

Petty wouldn't have to build much of anything to make the change. One of the big things holding Bubba back would be a Petty car. Childress stuff is faster by far. Childress lost Menard, so it's all there for another car under the same roof.

Petty goes to Chevy, JTG Daugherty with Dinger and Buescher signs on for an alliance with Hendrick next year. That sure helped the Ganassi bunch to go in that direction.

Petty goes to Chevy, JTG Daugherty with Dinger and Buescher signs on for an alliance with Hendrick next year. That sure helped the Ganassi bunch to go in that direction.
I’n a couple years won’t all these teams just be one big team lol???

You know what "declined to comment" usually means. Somewhere between a done deal and working out the kinks. :D
Going from declined to comment to

UPDATE: Although nothing official has been announced, Richard Petty confirmed to Kickin' the Tires that his operation - Richard Petty Motorsports - would be joining the Chevrolet camp and forming an alliance with Richard Childress Racing (RCR).

"We are in the process of moving from where we are now to closer to home, over in Lexington from Mooresville," Petty said. "We are off in the corner up at RCR. When you first come in you go by the museum and we've got the first building up there, so ... we're on the campus but we're really not on the campus. We are on the corner of the campus. I guess he (Richard Childress) done that so he could kick us out if we get to causing too much trouble up there."

Still playing his cards close to his vest, Petty was slow to give up whether his team was just forming an alliance or actually switching to Chevrolet. He finally relented and confirmed what most suspected.

"We're switching to something," Petty said, when pressed on the impending change to Chevrolet. "Yeah, yeah, you know, It's a pretty foregone conclusion what is going on, right now.

"We'll probably be working off of him (Childress), sort of, like we did off of Roush with Ford," Petty also cleared up rumors that it had sold it's prestigious NASCAR charter for the #43 car. He said neither of his charters had been sold but he is leasing out NASCAR's No. 1 charter to Rick Ware Racing. The team is using the charter tied to the #44 car on the #43 car in 2018. The explanation, he said, was with the way NASCAR allotted charters for each individual car owner.

Petty said he is excited to have Darrell 'Bubba' Wallace behind the wheel of the #43 and Smithfield will be represented on the car in some capacity in 2018 for six races but the Smithfield name may not actually be on the car.

--- Kickin the Tires ---

UPDATE: Although nothing official has been announced, Richard Petty confirmed to Kickin' the Tires that his operation - Richard Petty Motorsports - would be joining the Chevrolet camp and forming an alliance with Richard Childress Racing (RCR).

"We are in the process of moving from where we are now to closer to home, over in Lexington from Mooresville," Petty said. "We are off in the corner up at RCR. When you first come in you go by the museum and we've got the first building up there, so ... we're on the campus but we're really not on the campus. We are on the corner of the campus. I guess he (Richard Childress) done that so he could kick us out if we get to causing too much trouble up there."

Still playing his cards close to his vest, Petty was slow to give up whether his team was just forming an alliance or actually switching to Chevrolet. He finally relented and confirmed what most suspected.

"We're switching to something," Petty said, when pressed on the impending change to Chevrolet. "Yeah, yeah, you know, It's a pretty foregone conclusion what is going on, right now.

"We'll probably be working off of him (Childress), sort of, like we did off of Roush with Ford," Petty also cleared up rumors that it had sold it's prestigious NASCAR charter for the #43 car. He said neither of his charters had been sold but he is leasing out NASCAR's No. 1 charter to Rick Ware Racing. The team is using the charter tied to the #44 car on the #43 car in 2018. The explanation, he said, was with the way NASCAR allotted charters for each individual car owner.

Petty said he is excited to have Darrell 'Bubba' Wallace behind the wheel of the #43 and Smithfield will be represented on the car in some capacity in 2018 for six races but the Smithfield name may not actually be on the car.

--- Kickin the Tires ---
Yep. Workin out the kinks. :D

--- Kickin the Tires ---
Petty's description is much more "stand alone" than people are assuming. Matters will undoubtedly become clearer in the coming weeks, but Petty is not describing a "buyout" by RCR or a re-branding of the 27 team as the 43. It could come to that I suppose, but so far we have no evidence of that. Just FWIW.

Petty's description is much more "stand alone" than people are assuming. Matters will undoubtedly become clearer in the coming weeks, but Petty is not describing a "buyout" by RCR or a re-branding of the 27 team as the 43. It could come to that I suppose, but so far we have no evidence of that. Just FWIW.
Right, it really sounds like it its just a affiliation with RCR, nothing more.

Back
Top Bottom