SILLY SEASON 2019

In five years we'll be left with Kyle Busch and Joey Logano taking turns winning races. Save us.

All those young drivers of today will by then have the experience and they will be the names
people will talk about. Those other drivers will be part of the "remember when" conversations.
In another 15 years names like Gordon Harvick and Bowyer will be mentioned as possible ride buyers.

^ Why is it none of the names of the past have been successful as they try to follow the family footsteps????

In five years we'll be left with Kyle Busch and Joey Logano taking turns winning races. Save us.

All those young drivers of today will by then have the experience and they will be the names
people will talk about. Those other drivers will be part of the "remember when" conversations.

Part of it is the younger guys got pushed too soon. Be it a recession meaning veterans were priced out of racing for younger guys that take smaller paychecks or whatever. One flipside of having more than half the field for the Daytona 500 change in 4 years is that there's drivers in the field that wouldn't have gotten there as quickly or at all in other eras. Chase Elliott and William Bryon might become great drivers, but they were pushed too soon.

Part of it is the field is "smaller". There's only 30 real rides and then the field separates. (Look at the bright side, NASCAR is not F1 where the field separates after 6th place.) If you wanted to even remove some cars like Germain and RPM and only consider those that are top-flight credible "we can finish 5th on a real track straight up on a good day", I think the field is more like 24 cars. So a guy like Erik Jones takes 10th. 10th is midfield now.

I think part of it also is how the funding for racing has changed for Xfinity and Trucks (although I tend to discount Trucks almost completely). Look at them, those series' fields are just not that good. You can remove Cup drivers from those fields 5 years ago, compare to now, and the quality of teams fielding cars and drivers today I don't think compares well.

I don't think talent is an issue. Personality is. These guys don't have the presence of someone like KDB or Harvick or Ryan Newman. Blaney, Jones and Suarez are the least stale bread but even they don't have the same star power.

I don't think talent is an issue. Personality is. These guys don't have the presence of someone like KDB or Harvick or Ryan Newman. Blaney, Jones and Suarez are the least stale bread but even they don't have the same star power.
Not yet anyway but very soon they will be the conversations.

Isn't that what they said about drivers not having the star power of Earnhardt or Waltrip or Stewart or ...

I think Blaney does and I think his podcast helps. Jones and Suarez don't. Suarez has at least upped his game and is a lot more vocal at SHR than he was at JGR.

Part of it is the younger guys got pushed too soon. Be it a recession meaning veterans were priced out of racing for younger guys that take smaller paychecks or whatever. One flipside of having more than half the field for the Daytona 500 change in 4 years is that there's drivers in the field that wouldn't have gotten there as quickly or at all in other eras. Chase Elliott and William Bryon might become great drivers, but they were pushed too soon.

Part of it is the field is "smaller". There's only 30 real rides and then the field separates. (Look at the bright side, NASCAR is not F1 where the field separates after 6th place.) If you wanted to even remove some cars like Germain and RPM and only consider those that are top-flight credible "we can finish 5th on a real track straight up on a good day", I think the field is more like 24 cars. So a guy like Erik Jones takes 10th. 10th is midfield now.

I think part of it also is how the funding for racing has changed for Xfinity and Trucks (although I tend to discount Trucks almost completely). Look at them, those series' fields are just not that good. You can remove Cup drivers from those fields 5 years ago, compare to now, and the quality of teams fielding cars and drivers today I don't think compares well.

Meh. 15th-20th is about midpack these days. A top 10 is still a good day I feel. I'd say the top 31 teams are usually fairly decent. The StarCom 00 team is slow but improving. With Premium Motorsports (15), Spire Motorsports (77), Rick Ware Racing (51 and 52) just simply slow as hell and not looking like anything promising.

Speed costs money and not everyone has enough. Having said that, I hope these teams can get enough sponsorship to keep going otherwise you will have another IRL series with 3 owners.

I think Blaney does and I think his podcast helps. Jones and Suarez don't. Suarez has at least upped his game and is a lot more vocal at SHR than he was at JGR.

I like Suarez, a lot, but he just doesn't have a command presence. No one is scared to see him in their rearview like they would Gordon or Mark Martin.

iu

Back
Top Bottom