SILLY SEASON 2019

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by Biggreen695, Jul 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. nitetrain

nitetrain Crew Chief

Joe Ruttman. Then Morgan Sheppard. Then Ricky Rudd.

2. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

Gilliland goes down with the slamming of the gavel

3. Formerjackman

Formerjackman Team Owner

Pretty close. Bernstein bought the team from Bobby Hawkins (car 16), I believe out of Spartanburg SC and David Pearson drove for Hawkins for most of the team's starts and David's son Ricky was the crew chief. I am unclear on just when McReynolds joined the team, but he was there when Bernstein bought it. Bernstein's drivers in the renumbered 26 car where, Joe Ruttman, Morgan Shephard, Ricky Rudd, Brett Bodine, and then Steve Kinser made five starts in 1995 before being replaced by Hut Strickland. At the end of the year, Bernstein left NASCAR. Total results: 3 wins (Two by Rudd and the bogus Brett Bodine at N. Wilkesboro), 40 top fives and 99 top tens.

4. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

is he family?

LewTheShoe, Kiante and Spotter22 like this.
  5. IanMcVittie

IanMcVittie Team Owner

I really thought Jones was a phenom and someone that would contend in races and win. So far it hasn’t happened and there is nothing indicating it will anytime soon. It makes sense to sign him as I’m sure his salary is low but his upside is still high. Give him a 2 year deal and if he hasn’t improved by the end of it cut him loose.

6. Charlie Spencer

Charlie Spencer Short tracks and road courses rule.

We're only seven races into the season but right now he's behind Suarez in the points, with a year more of Cup experience.

IanMcVittie and FLRacingFan like this.
  7. LewTheShoe

LewTheShoe Team Owner

Wrong thread IMO. @StandOnIt please start a new "Silly Season 2020" thread and re-post this. It's really the first item I can think of that is definitely 2020 silly season. It seems to start a bit earlier every year... in Nascar and other forms of racing as well.

8. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

used to put stuff like this in the death bedders thread, but they are in full denial that Nascar isn't dying so I'll let them live the lie. Wondering if we should start a sponsor thread, some of us buy sponsored products to support the sport and some fans work or are affiliated with sponsors.

LewTheShoe and Kiante like this.
  9. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

pretty clever

Hawaii808 likes this.
  10. LewTheShoe

LewTheShoe Team Owner

Yes, by all means (IMO). "Silly Season" threads are really for employment news, rumors, and speculation of drivers and other key industry people... not sponsorship. A separate thread to collect news, etc. concerning sponsors would be highly appropriate. Go for it, SOI.

Inevitably, there would be some overlap, such as the recent news that Gibbs had extended Mars and Kyle Busch. But no matter, post that to both threads, IMO.

StandOnIt and gnomesayin like this.
  11. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

Ok when I run on to some or anyone else for that matter runs on to sponsorship news, start a thread.

12. Charlie Spencer

"@TocoWarranty, a vehicle repair coverage provider,"

Isn't that the same business model as the company that screwed over Rusty?

13. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

huh? :cuckoo:

14. Charlie Spencer

I recall Rusty Wallace's team for Steven has a primary sponsor that was in the after-market auto warranty service, one that turned out to have financial issues. Obviously there's a difference in the reliance on a primary sponsor vs. a 4-race deal, and just because one company in an industry is a loser doesn't mean they all are.

I was mostly looking for confirmation that my memory was clear on the deal.

15. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

might make a good trivia question. :D

16. Formerjackman

Formerjackman Team Owner

Yes, Stephan Wallace was sponsored by US Fedelis in the Busch Series and Rusty was the spokesperson for them. The company ran into financial trouble (extended car warranties are one of the biggest rips offs and scams in car ownership) and the Wallace team had to curtail operations. Whether the company left actually owing Rusty any money, I can't say.

17. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

There ya go Charlie..want to try potent potables for 800?

gnomesayin likes this.
  18. Charlie Spencer

I'd like to buy a vowel, Pat. Are there any spades?

19. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

Haven't been impressed with Jones but it's not like he's stunk it up or performed below expectations. He deserves 2 more seasons after this.