Silly Season 2023

And the yota monkey saying drivers can go where they want when in reality the run them off lol.
Yet they’re still in the sport. Doesn’t really matter where they ultimately end up, they drive talent through the pipeline who may not otherwise have gotten a chance. I don’t see Ford doing much in that regard. Chevy has JRM at least but that operation is still dependent upon pay drivers to a degree.

I wish Toyota had a C grade level junker team like when they had the Gaunt Brothers 96, maybe someone like Lajoie or Bilicki in it.

Yet they’re still in the sport. Doesn’t really matter where they ultimately end up, they drive talent through the pipeline who may not otherwise have gotten a chance. I don’t see Ford doing much in that regard. Chevy has JRM at least but that operation is still dependent upon pay drivers to a degree.
The pipeline is a dead end.

Not every single driver will thrive in the system they have in place.

It's a mixed bag because there are drivers that were given chances being places into the system, then there are the Tyler Ankrums and Chase Purdys that are essentially paying for rides in a Toyota-backed team.

This is the old question of how can sponsorship dollars not be as imperative to giving drivers time to develop that might not have that chance. It's business at the end of the day.

I still do not like how Suarez was used as a cash cow and bounced out. Also, I feel as if Erik Jones needed another season, however look at how those two have flourished since leaving TRD. TRD's loss was the gain of Trackhouse and Petty-GMS.

Rising tides helps out everyone in the end.

I'm not @StandOnIt and you didn't ask me, but I'll tell ya anyway...

I don't like the business model that Toyota brings to Nascar, and I think it is bad for the sport of Nascar and potentially dangerous to its future. Before Toyota, Nascar team owners were the competitive anchor of the sport. They were supported by the OEM's but the OEM's didn't run the racing business.

Toyota decided to go about it essentially using a "factory team" strategy with one or two team owners on the receiving end. Toyota's driver development program is an example. The factory took over what had always been a team function, and poured virtually unlimited resources into it. As @Revman loves to point out, the other OEM's were forced to do the same, albeit with a fraction of the Toyota budget. Chassis engineering is another example (pre Next Gen spec chassis). Motor building is another.

The result is to raise the OEM's cost of being in Nascar. And if Chevy and/or Ford reach a point of deciding it's too costly... no bueno.

Another problem I have is that Toyota pours all these resources into just one or two teams. How about if Ford and Chevy also supported just six cars each? Yikes.

I also don't like Pious Joe Gibbs. But it hasn't always been that way... as a life-long fan of the NFL team Gibbs coached so successfully, I was excited when he established a Nascar team. He had to convince me through his actions that he was a douche canoe, and he's done that time and again.
While I categorically disagree with your opinion about the business model, I think yours is a fair description of it...except it is more of a competition model rather than a business one. I will openly admit that I like F1 because of the manufacturer involvement....and I like Toyota's direction which arguably is F1-esque. Difference of opinion. All good.

Somehow you got ahold of the Toyota budget. Please share. I have never seen it. Please include Ford's and Chevy's as well. Let's make sure that this information gets its own thread because nobody has ever seen it....but you know we didn't need it because of the Toyota spending narrative brought to you by Jack Roush.

Chevy and Ford have found a way to have their A Teams....and support the lessers just fine. It's always been that way really. Toyota is eager to expand.....and they will. You know the variables at play that have delayed this.....so I won't go into that.

Coach is a good man, and the only place you hear a different narrative is here. This is small potatoes.

Fair post for the most part, and a great explanation for all of the anti-Toyota bull****.

Thank you.

Is the ink dry on Tyler's contract. Do you know who will be in the 19 after next year? I know where to look. Are you Tony Stewart?

still do not like how Suarez was used as a cash cow and bounced out. Also, I feel as if Erik Jones needed another season, however look at how those two have flourished since leaving TRD. TRD's loss was the gain of Trackhouse and Petty-GMS.
One win between them? Did I miss something?

Somehow you got ahold of the Toyota budget. Please share. I have never seen it. Please include Ford's and Chevy's as well. Let's make sure that this information gets its own thread because nobody has ever seen it....but you know we didn't need it because of the Toyota spending narrative brought to you by Jack Roush.

It's no secret from anyone inside the industry that generally Toyota pays more than anyone else for everyone (drivers, engineers, pit guys.....)

nope it's corporate David Wilson answering for what the team is going to do. None of the other manufacturers do that, the team owners do.
Hey it's perfectly ok with that now a days to have a manufacture all up Joe Gibb's ass, but it wasn't years ago. I think it sucks IMO
Do you mean like when all the Ford teams had a meeting with Edsel at the track and they came out with the "One Ford" strategy???
Or when the Chevy teams had a meeting at Daytona and Chase said, with a wink, that they were talking about the new Corvette???
They all do it.

One win between them? Did I miss something?
Both are pretty successful with their respected teams.

Jones is on the cusp if winning with his team and Saurez is doing well with his. Teams are at different levels and honestly both have been more impressive now than they were with JGR. Not a jab at JGR, but as previously stated, not everyone is going to thrive at some teams. Sometimes a little less pressure works volumes.

Not every single driver will thrive in the system they have in place.

It's a mixed bag because there are drivers that were given chances being places into the system, then there are the Tyler Ankrums and Chase Purdys that are essentially paying for rides in a Toyota-backed team.

This is the old question of how can sponsorship dollars not be as imperative to giving drivers time to develop that might not have that chance. It's business at the end of the day.

I still do not like how Suarez was used as a cash cow and bounced out. Also, I feel as if Erik Jones needed another season, however look at how those two have flourished since leaving TRD. TRD's loss was the gain of Trackhouse and Petty-GMS.

Rising tides helps out everyone in the end.
A common mistake I see often around this board is judging drivers solely on racing performance. Off the track stuff (relationships, sponsor engagements, behavior, team chemistry etc) matter a lot. If you're not winning a lot, or almost winning a lot, and you don't have any of that other stuff I mentioned, you're not going to last long at top competitive teams, especially Toyotas. Without getting into details, the two you mention come to mind. People also forget that Daniel spent a few hours at SHR. What happened there?

Also, would they really be "flourishing" without this new car? Maybe, maybe not. Who knows. But comparing this season to prior seasons is apples to oranges. Daniel's first Trackhouse season certainly wasn't one he'll talk about much.

Coach is a good man, and the only place you hear a different narrative is here. This is small potatoes.
The only place? You can ask around the garage one day. Drop Barney Visser a note, see how he feels as well. Coach is a cutthroat business man who has cut a lot of throats to get to where he is in the sport, both friendly throats and otherwise. Does that make him different than most other owners or big time successful business leaders? Not really. But it is what it is.

The only place? You can ask around the garage one day. Drop Barney Visser a note, see how he feels as well. Coach is a cutthroat business man who has cut a lot of throats to get to where he is in the sport, both friendly throats and otherwise. Does that make him different than most other owners or big time successful business leaders? Not really. But it is what it is.
Thank you lol.

Toyota puts this type of effort in because NASCAR has legitimately helped them sales figures wise ever since they have stepped into the sport. TRD in most cases has the larger of exhibits out of Ford and Chevy. Ford and Chevy might be nestled over in a corner somewhere, but not Toyota. They are out there with racing sims, giveaways, etc. As you explained being the midway at most events.

Toyota puts a lot in and gets a lot back in return. They do a lot more with the fans than I have with at Ford or Chevy at NASCAR events I have gone to ever since they joined the sport. The reason I feel as if they have such a logjam is due to them taking on a LOT of drivers a sifting through them all to see who is worth the increased investment. The best of the best TRD drivers get those chances in Truck, Xfinity, and Cup. It kind of reminds me when Red Bull began taking on drivers, they get handfuls of Juniors. However, who will rise above these 15 to 18 individuals? Also, who would be worth keeping in terms of pressing forward with in development at different levels?

Toyota has so many of them that its almost head-scratching at times. Also, seeing those who may bow out of the TRD program could be a positive for the likes of Chevy and Ford because they may see potential to build off of where TRD may have began with.
Super well said.

I think this is a matter of an outside non American manufacture coming into the NASCAR expeirence and wanting it more than other manufactures that have been around the sport for ages. They changed the landscape, a landscape that still has seen Chevy win 10 of the 14 cup championships since Toyota showed up.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

It's no secret from anyone inside the industry that generally Toyota pays more than anyone else for everyone (drivers, engineers, pit guys.....)
If Toyota paid drivers wouldn’t they have re-signed Kyle already? They’ve been pretty clear that sponsorship drives the boat. TRD-supported entries are covered in the wraps of big brands each week. These guys probably have a PSC as a Toyota ambassador and that’s it.

As a fan who enjoys NASCAR because I just liked watching cars race since a young age, I never once related to fan focus on manufacture. Nor is it something I ever want to care about as a fan.

It's all pointless noise to fandom in my eyes.

Toyota is the villain. Sure. Whatever. They showed up to the sport a while ago. They took over NASCAR. Maybe? Don't know. Don't care.

Whatever they do is meaningless to me. Despite the evil empire taking over NASCAR, Chevy has won 10 of the last 14 championships. Two Toyota drivers have won a cup title since 2007. TWO.

Chevy owns NASCAR. Not Toyota. Toyota is just another manufacture in NASCAR, working harder, and still achieving way less success than Chevy.

If Toyota paid drivers wouldn’t they have re-signed Kyle already? They’ve been pretty clear that sponsorship drives the boat. TRD-supported entries are covered in the wraps of big brands each week. These guys probably have a PSC as a Toyota ambassador and that’s it.

Paying drivers more and giving them what they want are two different things

Have you every heard of anyone (driver, crew member.....) that left a top Toyota team willingly and went somewhere else? It doesn't happen because no one is paying more and money talks

Paying drivers more and giving them what they want are two different things

Have you every heard of anyone (driver, crew member.....) that left a top Toyota team willingly and went somewhere else? It doesn't happen because no one is paying more and money talks
Gragson, Deegan, Byron. Larson. Rudy Fugle crew chief, Tony Stewart, Zippy

He looks like he's aged over night! Now rooting for him to sign with RCR.

Gragson, Deegan, Byron. Larson. Rudy Fugle crew chief, Tony Stewart, Zippy
Smoke left to form his own team, Rudy left because he wanted to do cup and they weren't moving him up, I imagine Zippy left because his loyalty to Smoke.

The drivers that all left were because Toyota had nothing to offer them at the next level, so yeah I guess they technically left on their own, but I wouldn't call it willingly.

Smoke left to form his own team, Rudy left because he wanted to do cup and they weren't moving him up, I imagine Zippy left because his loyalty to Smoke.

The drivers that all left were because Toyota had nothing to offer them at the next level, so yeah I guess they technically left on their own, but I wouldn't call it willingly.
:XXROFL:

And Jesus wept…

As a fan who enjoys NASCAR because I just liked watching cars race since a young age, I never once related to fan focus on manufacture. Nor is it something I ever want to care about as a fan.

It used to be a big deal for most fans until the mid 2000's until the bland COT came in. Chevy vs. Ford was a big deal and etc. Toyota gets so much hate from fans because they're "not an American company." That's still big with a lot of NASCAR fans, especially the older ones.

Pretty sure Smoke even said back then he didn’t wanna drive a Toyota… so he definitely left because of that.

At the 7:05 mark Kyle says that KBM has made this whole contract situation "80 to 85% harder". He further says if not for the KBM "option" he'd have a contract signed already.

Gosh, I thought I was the pedant around here.

At the 7:05 mark Kyle says that KBM has made this whole contract situation "80 to 85% harder". He further says if not for the KBM "option" he'd have a contract signed already.

I've been saying that forever. Who wants a truck team with almost nothing, no finantial support, but we have a building. I will be really surprised if that truck team continues.

As a fan of NASCAR since the 60s, I am right there with you. I am a fan of the driver, I could care less if he is driving a KIA or a Ferrari...but it would be cool if he was!

It used to be a big deal for most fans until the mid 2000's until the bland COT came in. Chevy vs. Ford was a big deal and etc. Toyota gets so much hate from fans because they're "not an American company." That's still big with a lot of NASCAR fans, especially the older ones.

Agreed. Personally I couldn't care less where Toyotas are made, but it still bugs a lot of people.

Two comments I've recently seen on facebook, for example.....

"I bet the JGR guys spend their off days watching footage of Pearl Harbor and high fiving each other"

"If the Taliban owned a NASCAR team, I would put on a burka and pull for them before I ever pull for JGR"

I have to admit, I laughed at both. Yeah they are in poor taste, but my sense of humor is a bit twisted at times

Agreed. Personally I couldn't care less where Toyotas are made, but it still bugs a lot of people.

Two comments I've recently seen on facebook, for example.....

"I bet the JGR guys spend their off days watching footage of Pearl Harbor and high fiving each other"

"If the Taliban owned a NASCAR team, I would put on a burka and pull for them before I ever pull for JGR"

I have to admit, I laughed at both. Yeah they are in poor taste, but my sense of humor is a bit twisted at times
Facebook is a cesspool of racist southern NASCAR fans who know nothing about the sport or culture.

It's pathetic.

Back
Top Bottom