Silly Season 2023

Probably will run 24th all day given how average he was 2-3 years ago in the 48 but if it brings a few more TV views cool

Yes, it's possible, but not terribly practical in my opinion. If you want to have a meaningful impact, you need to be at the track MOST weeks and at the shop often too. Otherwise you are just a stockholder. I think Jeff Gordon is leading by example there.
I agree. Look at Tony Stewart.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Probably will run 24th all day given how average he was 2-3 years ago in the 48 but if it brings a few more TV views cool
HMS wasn't what it was then. In this car, with an HMS alliance, I don't think it's unreasonable to see Jimmie run top 10 at one of his bread and butter tracks.

If Martin can content for a championship at age 50 in an elite Chevy, I don't think it's unreasonable to see Jimmie run top 10 at Dover, or Martinsville.

HMS wasn't what it was then. In this car, with an HMS alliance, I don't think it's unreasonable to see Jimmie run top 10 at one of his bread and butter tracks.

If Martin can content for a championship at age 50 in an elite Chevy, I don't think it's unreasonable to see Jimmie run top 10 at Dover, or Martinsville.

I don’t agree. Jimmie was consistently outpaced by the 9 especially, but even the 24 & 48 showed more speed.

Anyway I think it’s OK he still wants to race but I don’t expect great results. I don’t think a top 10 is out of the possibility but a win?

Mark Martin & Bobby Allison were winning in their 50's. Kevin Harvick is the same age & still competitive. Give Jimmie Johnson a good car & I could see him running well. Many people believe he's the GOAT for a reason.

I don’t agree. Jimmie was consistently outpaced by the 9 especially, but even the 24 & 48 showed more speed.

Anyway I think it’s OK he still wants to race but I don’t expect great results. I don’t think a top 10 is out of the possibility but a win?
I didn't say a win, I said it shouldn't be surprising to see him run competitively on tracks that are in his wheelhouse.

It's also important to remember that the entire 4018 was turning over internally. Also, he really wasn't outpaced by the 24 or the 88. Pace was there, he just was constantly overdriving the car.

With the hunger possibly being back, and in a car that seems to suite him better than the gen 6 there are the end, I would be shocked if he didn't pull out 1 or 2 top 10s.. especially if the team takes another step.

A win? Doubtful. But lucking his way into a circumstantial "holds of the field on old tires because you can't pass here" kind of win isn't unreasonable.

I don't think we will ever see him win on speed again though.

jimmie will run good, the sports cars that he has been racing are way closer to the new cup car than lasts years cup cars. good luck to him,too bad he has to work with noah. and ecr and hendick have been working close together for years.

Mark Martin & Bobby Allison were winning in their 50's. Kevin Harvick is the same age & still competitive. Give Jimmie Johnson a good car & I could see him running well. Many people believe he's the GOAT for a reason.
One thing that may be getting overlooked is that I don't think the current cars really suit his driving style at all. Yes, he was one of the all time greats in his element, but he has been VERY pedestrian outside of his element, even in his prime. When Chad Knaus says he can't drive an Xfinity car for ****, that ought to tell you something. I love the guy to death, but in that regard he is just not Tony Stewart that can seemingly climb in anything with wheels and run up front. I don't think time out the car is his friend either. Things move pretty quickly in the Cup garage. Miss a day, miss a lot.

jimmie will run good, the sports cars that he has been racing are way closer to the new cup car than lasts years cup cars. good luck to him,too bad he has to work with noah. and ecr and hendick have been working close together for years.
I would say the only thing the DPi cars he has been running lately have in common with the Cup cars is having four tires. And besides, I think he only drove that car 2-3 times all this year, and Maybe 4 times last year.

same style trans, big brakes, big wheels and tires,irs rear,rack and pinion, nope i guess you must be right.:rolleyes:

2/3rds the weight, three time the down force, bigger tires, different tire manufacturer and construction, totally different race tracks. Totally the same.
It's like the same but completely different

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Full boat ride.

Menards is my absolute go to home improvement store, and between my regular job, my part time stuff and my personal stuff I spend a ridiculous amount of money there. For the first time they are backing a guy that I can truly get behind and support, much like NAPA and Chase. I really like it when stuff works out like that.

Menards is my absolute go to home improvement store, and between my regular job, my part time stuff and my personal stuff I spend a ridiculous amount of money there. For the first time they are backing a guy that I can truly get behind and support, much like NAPA and Chase. I really like it when stuff works out like that.

I don’t know how much they’re actually backing. It’s a B2B with Rheem.

The announcement describes Menards as a primary partner.

Rheem wasn’t mentioned.

Primary partner means that the most visible areas on the car will have Menards signage and Menards pays the most for this positioning among other things...Big Truck, pits, etc.

Menards will partner with JR Motorsports and Brandon Jones in 2023, the race team announced today. A Wisconsin-based company, Menards will be a primary partner on board Jones’ No. 9 Chevrolet Camaro in 33 NASCAR Xfinity Series races next season.

Good point, I have no idea exactly how this relationship works. Normally, it's the retailers that leverage their suppliers to sponsor race cars. In this case, it would APPEAR that the supplier is leveraging the retailer, but with Menards getting the VAST majority of the car, I would sure think they are footing the bulk of the bill. It's all loose change in the ashtray to John Menard anyway.

Menard's isn't in SC. I drive by Home Depot to get to Lowes.

Sorry about your poor luck. My brother in law in Texas just HATES the fact they don't have Menards. I have all three in my area, and I buy certain things from the other two, but as far as I'm concerned, they are just oversized hardware stores. Menards just CRUSHES them on selection and price.

Sorry about your poor luck. My brother in law in Texas just HATES the fact they don't have Menards. I have all three in my area, and I buy certain things from the other two, but as far as I'm concerned, they are just oversized hardware stores. Menards just CRUSHES them on selection and price.
Menards is awesome, my favorite store besides Farm&Fleet to go to.

Good point, I have no idea exactly how this relationship works. Normally, it's the retailers that leverage their suppliers to sponsor race cars. In this case, it would APPEAR that the supplier is leveraging the retailer, but with Menards getting the VAST majority of the car, I would sure think they are footing the bulk of the bill. It's all loose change in the ashtray to John Menard anyway.
Well Brandon’s dad is the CEO or an CFO of Rheem which is a Menards sold product. I am going to go out on an limb based off what I’ve heard and read online and think this could be a continuation of that business 2 business relationship.

I have a question for those who know. When does a driver contract generally expire? After the final race? After the Awards Banquet? Or is it more a calendar thing, like 12/31/22?

I have a question for those who know. When does a driver contract generally expire? After the final race? After the Awards Banquet? Or is it more a calendar thing, like 12/31/22?

I would ASSume pretty quickly after the banquet. Don't want someone heading out the door to know the team's new tricks for next year.
And most of the media obligations for a driver the following season are completed during the off-season.
Let alone building chemistry with the new team, getting sim time, learning how the team operates.

He was the goat when the cars were way powerful and he could drive it loose. When they neutered the engines and glued them to the track, he lost all the edges he had and never adjusted to that style. I don't think Knauss' bag of tricks would work any more either. He didn't exactly set the world on fire with Willy B.

I believe it's after the final race. I've never seen a departing driver with team/sponsor obligations in Nov/Dec, and I'm pretty sure I remember a driver who was testing with his new team a couple weeks after the season ended, back when testing was still a thing.

I believe it's after the final race. I've never seen a departing driver with team/sponsor obligations in Nov/Dec, and I'm pretty sure I remember a driver who was testing with his new team a couple weeks after the season ended, back when testing was still a thing.

Won't Tyler reddick be at the table at the awards banquet with all the playoff drivers?

I haven't watched the banquet in years, but I'm assuming they still dress up in fancy clothes and not their racing firesuit, correct?
Nobody in the top 12 is moving to a new team, so does it even matter?

Back
Top Bottom