Silly Season 2023

You’re being asked to think globally, not locally.
Well Daniel like I had said and you just mentioned. I can’t speak to any rally car drivers or NASCAR Euro drivers as I don’t watch that type of racing. Probably also racing drivers in Series I don’t even know about. The possibilities are almost endless

I was looking behind them and I recognized where they are at. They are standing in front of St. Elmo Steakhouse on 127th S Illinois St in Indy. St. Elmo was established in 1902 and serves some of the best steaks you will ever eat.

what makes this different is
this is a team that is winning and both cars are running well

the other sanction drivers everyone has been talking about want to get in a car that can run up front and possibly win
not ride in the back and make laps in an underfunded car

for instance
Larson has stated he wants to run Indy and wants to actually have a car/team that can actually win
no different that all those other drivers that want to try NASCAR

Gibbs, Hendrick and Penske should do this as well

that driver would be expected to bring sponsorship

NASCAR should give an exemption to allow a 5th team if used in this way
former full time cup drivers would be excluded
5th team gets no points…. team, driver or manufacture

Lewis Hamilton would jump at the chance to run a car prepared for Kyle Larson or Kyle Busch

If JJ were interested, he could ask Rick and Jeff for a car any time he wanted. JPM probably could have found a one-off before now if he was interested. Edwards' lack of interest couldn't be more obvious.

I can get behind the Taylors.

I believe junior already offered JJ an Xfinity race and Jimmie wasn't interested.

Evidently you brought a knife to a gun fight. Go do some research and get back with me.
I'm not looking for a fight, but apparently you'd like one. But I've done some research as you requested, and I'm not sure you'll like what I found

A full field is 40 cars, how many times has NASCAR reached a full field in 2022? answer: 1 time, Daytona. As for the rest of the races, ignoring the All-Star race, the average field size is 37.3.

How many of the first 8 races from 2021 were impacted with weather compared to the first 8 races of 2022? When you compare the TV ratings for any race this year, vs the most recent non-weather impacted NASCAR race at the same track, almost all of them continue to show a ratings decrease. https://sportsnaut.com/nascar-ratings-dropping-compared-previous-years/

2022 Daytona 500 tv ratings were up from 2021 and 2020, which sounds great right? Wrong... 20 and 21 were both impacted with weather and the last non-weather impacted Daytona 500 was 2019 and ratings were down from that. https://sportsnaut.com/nascar-dayto...00 averaged,it averaged 9.170 million viewers.

You could argue that NASCAR has stopped freefalling, and I'd probably agree. Can't get to 40 cars each race, ratings are down, and attendance is weak at many tracks. I'm glad the Coke 600 sold out though after they had to remove almost 50,000 seats.

I'm not looking for a fight, but apparently you'd like one. But I've done some research as you requested, and I'm not sure you'll like what I found

A full field is 40 cars, how many times has NASCAR reached a full field in 2022? answer: 1 time, Daytona. As for the rest of the races, ignoring the All-Star race, the average field size is 37.3.

How many of the first 8 races from 2021 were impacted with weather compared to the first 8 races of 2022? When you compare the TV ratings for any race this year, vs the most recent non-weather impacted NASCAR race at the same track, almost all of them continue to show a ratings decrease. https://sportsnaut.com/nascar-ratings-dropping-compared-previous-years/

2022 Daytona 500 tv ratings were up from 2021 and 2020, which sounds great right? Wrong... 20 and 21 were both impacted with weather and the last non-weather impacted Daytona 500 was 2019 and ratings were down from that. https://sportsnaut.com/nascar-daytona-500-ratings-indicate-worrisome-trend/#:~:text=The 2022 Daytona 500 averaged,it averaged 9.170 million viewers.

You could argue that NASCAR has stopped freefalling, and I'd probably agree. Can't get to 40 cars each race, ratings are down, and attendance is weak at many tracks. I'm glad the Coke 600 sold out though after they had to remove almost 50,000 seats.
You've got 36 guaranteed charters that run every week and several teams that arent chartered that pick and choose their schedule. The charters when they first were distributed werent worth more then the paper contract you signed for them, now that are selling for 10-15 million dollars and are expected to climb even higher next year, a failing sport doesnt increase in value.

You've got new teams and new Superstar owners in Micheal Jordan and Pitbull that just joined because the changes that were made and are currently still being made makes it more attractive for outsiders to consider a NASCAR venture.

You can play semantics all you want, but attendance is up, the TV ratings are up, the competition is better then its been in years. All facts and confirmed by people who do this for a living.

You've got 36 guaranteed charters that run every week and several teams that arent chartered that pick and choose their schedule. The charters when they first were distributed werent worth more then the paper contract you signed for them, now that are selling for 10-15 million dollars and are expected to climb even higher next year, a failing sport doesnt increase in value.

You've got new teams and new Superstar owners in Micheal Jordan and Pitbull that just joined because the changes that were made and are currently still being made makes it more attractive for outsiders to consider a NASCAR venture.

You can play semantics all you want, but attendance is up, the TV ratings are up, the competition is better then its been in years. All facts and confirmed by people who do this for a living.
There are positives for sure, I didn't say that NASCAR is still in a freefall like it was for about a decade. I also didn't play any semantics, I provided facts that you can't dispute apparently. I explained the tv ratings, when compared to the most recent non-weather impacted race in years past, they are down and some tracks are seeing better attendance, and some are not.

There are positives for sure, I didn't say that NASCAR is still in a freefall like it was for about a decade. I also didn't play any semantics, I provided facts that you can't dispute apparently. I explained the tv ratings, when compared to the most recent non-weather impacted race in years past, they are down and some tracks are seeing better attendance, and some are not.

the "facts" you have provided were from a college kid in Florida with a hard on for open wheel.

the "facts" you have provided were from a college kid in Florida with a hard on for open wheel.
Can you dispute the facts? Are they in-fact incorrect?

What about Statista? Do they also have a "hard on for open wheel"? (not sure why that matters, if your dealing with facts)

Can you dispute the facts? Are they in-fact incorrect?

What about Statista? Do they also have a "hard on for open wheel"? (not sure why that matters, if your dealing with facts)

I tend to pay attention to when Networks talk about their viewership. I think they have more information available to them than some journalism student in Florida, or some supposed ratings site that won't let you on unless you let them mine your data.

I tend to pay attention to when Networks talk about their viewership. I think they have more information available to them than some journalism student in Florida, or some supposed ratings site that won't let you on unless you let them mine your data.
Do you trust sportsmediawatch.com ?

So 2020 tv ratings for the season finale were the lowest ever, and the season saw ratings decrease from 2019.
2021 tv ratings dipped again and saw the lowest average tv audience on record https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2021/11/nascar-ratings-finale-kyle-larson-season-average-decline/ "The 2021 NASCAR Cup Series season averaged 2.93 million viewers across FOX, FS1, NBC and NBCSN, down 4% from last year (3.06M), down 6% from 2019 (3.11M) and the least-watched season on record. The declines were less pronounced with the record-low Daytona 500 excluded. The season averaged 2.866 million sans-Daytona, down 1% from last year (2.91M) and a fraction of a percent from’ 19 (2.871M)."

Here is a nice picture showing the decline for comparable races in years past

1653486897800.png

Let's see how the season ends. I'm encourage by the positives, but I'm not convinced NASCAR is on the upswing just yet. I think they stopped bleeding finally.

Do you trust sportsmediawatch.com ?

So 2020 tv ratings for the season finale were the lowest ever, and the season saw ratings decrease from 2019.
2021 tv ratings dipped again and saw the lowest average tv audience on record https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2021/11/nascar-ratings-finale-kyle-larson-season-average-decline/ "The 2021 NASCAR Cup Series season averaged 2.93 million viewers across FOX, FS1, NBC and NBCSN, down 4% from last year (3.06M), down 6% from 2019 (3.11M) and the least-watched season on record. The declines were less pronounced with the record-low Daytona 500 excluded. The season averaged 2.866 million sans-Daytona, down 1% from last year (2.91M) and a fraction of a percent from’ 19 (2.871M)."

Here is a nice picture showing the decline for comparable races in years past

View attachment 63302
You are posting old ratings, NASCAR numbers are up this year. NASCAR out draws that silly Indy car stuff 4-1

I tried to tell him but what can ya do? Where the hell did he come from anyway, I've never seen him here. Is it Mopar reincarnated? ;)

You are posting old ratings, NASCAR numbers are up this year. NASCAR out draws that silly Indy car stuff 4-1
...helped in large part by the fact that the Daytona 500 didn't have a weather issue this year, and drew 8.8 million compared to 4.8 million in 2021. That certainly helps the average, doesn't? The most recent non-weather impacted Daytona 500 was 2019, and 9.2 million tuned in for that.

Also, I never once mentioned Indycar on this thread. Indycar has its own problems for sure, I don't dispute that.

I tried to tell him but what can ya do? Where the hell did he come from anyway, I've never seen him here. Is it Mopar reincarnated? ;)
Nope, not Mopar. I came from trackforum under the same or similar name there.

You also haven't proven me wrong on anything, but what can ya do.

Nope, not Mopar. I came from trackforum under the same or similar name there.

You also haven't proven me wrong on anything, but what can ya do.

There are a few members here who think NASCAR execs walk on water and can do no wrong. If you dare to criticize NASCAR in any manner whatsoever, they take it personal. Don't let them scare you off.

Props to you for backing up your stats with context and logic.

Here's your problem deathbedders lol

Many fans, especially those who might want to disparage the sport, don’t understand that just because the TV numbers are down or not at the sky-high levels they once were, doesn’t mean NASCAR is facing any sort of loss of popularity

There are a few members here who think NASCAR execs walk on water and can do no wrong. If you dare to criticize NASCAR in any manner whatsoever, they take it personal. Don't let them scare you off.

Props to you for backing up your stats with context and logic.
Evidently you like to pick the stats and data you like, he was given updated and factual info on the state of the sport.

Here's your problem deathbedders lol

Many fans, especially those who might want to disparage the sport, don’t understand that just because the TV numbers are down or not at the sky-high levels they once were, doesn’t mean NASCAR is facing any sort of loss of popularity

Good article, thanks for posting.

I'm not one to "disparage the sport" as you say, but I'm also not naïve enough to believe everything is always rainbows and unicorns. Generally speaking, Jim France has done a great job getting NASCAR headed in the right direction after Brian messed up a lot of stuff. But there's always room for improvement.

Evidently you like to pick the stats and data you like, he was given updated and factual info on the state of the sport.

Anyone can point to statistics to suit their agenda. Confirmation bias is rarely one sided. I'm simply pointing out the new guy's ability to consider context in his argument, and he didn't get flustered going back and forth with you guys. We all disagree from time to time and obviously that's fine, it's a discussion forum after all, but thick skin goes a long way on here.

I'm simply pointing out the new guy's ability to consider context in his argument, and he didn't get flustered going back and forth with you guys. We all disagree from time to time and obviously that's fine, it's a discussion forum after all, but thick skin goes a long way on here.
The only reason RHRfan is even here is because I told him everyone here is chill. Sorry I was wrong about that.

and he provided to you in return factual information, with context

But either way, nice to meet you
Nice to meet you, but really the only context you need to see that the sport is healthy and growing is the substantial increase in the Value of a charter and superstars of other sports and entertainment vying to enter. Just like a stock, business is good, its going to produce dividends for the shareholder, if its declining, not so much.

I Here's your problem deathbedders lol

I wanted to clarify and have on the record that I have no desire or "want" to disparage the sport.

The only reason RHRfan is even here is because I told him everyone here is chill. Sorry I was wrong about that.
I find the Indy Car forums on here more likeable lately, I’ve been lurking there more than usual but everyone is very respectable. I hope to find time Sunday to interact more with you ladies and gents over there. I’m behind on my viewings of this seasons races, I’m binging to get to the 500

Back
Top Bottom