Silly Season 2023

The biggest problem I see with JGR if Ty goes to the 18 is who is in the 19 for 2024? I don't see MTJ running in 24. Seems to really mess up the long term plan over there

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I mean, the truck team is already named KBM.

Kaulig-Busch Motorsports.

Would be interesting, but a massive longshot at this point, at least IMHO.

That would be a sad day. I think he has to much left in the tank. 2 SRX wins this year

Elliott beating him on dirt finally broke him. I kid, I kid. Tony is a legend and could win sprint car races into his 60s if he wanted.

The biggest problem I see with JGR if Ty goes to the 18 is who is in the 19 for 2024? I don't see MTJ running in 24. Seems to really mess up the long term plan over there

There will be no shortage of drivers beating down the door to drive that car.

There are really only 2 options and one wild card available for KDB:

1. Kaulig in the 16 (appears to be the favorite)
2. SHR in the 10
Wildcard - If Kurt decides he is going to hang it up early due to the concussion and 23XI brings him there to stay with Toyota. That depends on many factors that have to align perfectly.

Speaking of Tony...

I believe that the IMS museum is going to do a Tony Stewart showcase. That's why he tagged all of the racing series he's done in Indycar, WOO, NASCAR, SRX... etc. Tony isn't done racing. The thank you to the fans is him donating or lending his old racecars for the showcase.

just my guess

Here was his reply when a reporter asked him about him and Smithfield a few years ago:

Smithfield has been one of your sponsors for a while. How did that relationship with them begin?

Smithfield and I are going on eight years of being together. That means a lot to me. That means that we have a true partnership. I think it’s something that I’ve worked very hard on. I learned the hard way when I was young coming up in the sport. I always just assumed that I was a race car driver. I just want to be the race car driver, drive the cars, and the teams will worry about the sponsors. I learned the hard way that without a sponsor, I don’t have a job.

I’ve totally shifted my mind-set on that. Many years ago, even before Smithfield, I made it a point to build and create relationships with the people that sponsor me and to not just view them as a company that puts stickers on my race car —to really view them as a sponsor and a company that I have a vested interest in helping them grow and do well, whether it be at retail or just business in general.

I need that company to succeed, and I need to do my part to help that company succeed in every way that I can to make sure that they’re getting the most value out of sponsors me as the driver and the race team that I’m racing for.

I think the fact that I’ve been with them for eight years points to the fact that I’m doing my part, that we’ve built a great relationship and that we enjoy working together, that they see value in me. And I work my butt off to try and ensure that I provide as much value as possible.

Here was his reply when a reporter asked him about him and Smithfield a few years ago:

Smithfield has been one of your sponsors for a while. How did that relationship with them begin?

Smithfield and I are going on eight years of being together. That means a lot to me. That means that we have a true partnership. I think it’s something that I’ve worked very hard on. I learned the hard way when I was young coming up in the sport. I always just assumed that I was a race car driver. I just want to be the race car driver, drive the cars, and the teams will worry about the sponsors. I learned the hard way that without a sponsor, I don’t have a job.

I’ve totally shifted my mind-set on that. Many years ago, even before Smithfield, I made it a point to build and create relationships with the people that sponsor me and to not just view them as a company that puts stickers on my race car —to really view them as a sponsor and a company that I have a vested interest in helping them grow and do well, whether it be at retail or just business in general.

I need that company to succeed, and I need to do my part to help that company succeed in every way that I can to make sure that they’re getting the most value out of sponsors me as the driver and the race team that I’m racing for.

I think the fact that I’ve been with them for eight years points to the fact that I’m doing my part, that we’ve built a great relationship and that we enjoy working together, that they see value in me. And I work my butt off to try and ensure that I provide as much value as possible.

Thanks for posting that. Good for Aric. It's clear that he gets it.

That being said, from a sponsor's perspective, he just doesn't seem very marketable. How many Almirola fans are out there? Other than those who follow the sport closely, how many people have even heard of him? He rarely ever runs up front, rarely gets interviewed. He seems quiet and that's perfectly fine, he just doesn't move the needle. He's like Casey Mears but without the famous last name.

I'm not trying to badmouth him at all, I'm just surprised a guy like Almirola can get a hardcore commitment from such a bigtime sponsor when very few others in the sport can. Props to him.

That being said, from a sponsor's perspective, he just doesn't seem very marketable. How many Almirola fans are out there? Other than those who follow the sport closely, how many people have even heard of him? He rarely ever runs up front, rarely gets interviewed. He seems quiet and that's perfectly fine, he just doesn't move the needle. He's like Casey Mears but without the famous last name.

I'm not trying to badmouth him at all, I'm just surprised a guy like Almirola can get a hardcore commitment from such a bigtime sponsor when very few others in the sport can. Props to him.
Well, as I said, I don’t think it’s what he does as far as the public is concerned, (has he ever even been featured in their advertising?) it’s about what he does behind the scenes with the Smithfield people and with their customers, the Krogers and Walmarts and Costcos of the world, the people who decide to carry Smithfield products in their stores, and where they fit in the all important space allocation in the stores. This is an important but often misunderstood component of sponsorship. Take DuPont/Axalta. Those programs were always geared much more towards entertaining their primary customers (body shop owners and manufacturers and their employees) than it ever was to the general public. Most people don’t choose what body shop is going to fix their car based on what brand of paint they shoot, but body shop owners decide whether they are going to festure Axalta or PPG or some other brand, and doing fancy racing themed print ads in their trade magazines, and showing them a good time at the race track can sway that decision.

Aric can actually make the playoffs/chase unlike Casey Mears though

This is beautiful. This is the attitude that makes someone successful no matter what he or she chooses to do. Some of these guys should have to write this on the board 500 times.

I'm sorry that happened to you but I'm not reading that. Iykyk

Kvyat do anything two weeks ago?
Tbf, Hand has made noise at times this season and the Project 91 and Hendrick-backed Spire cars should be a fair bit better than the Heisenberg or whatever stuff. NationsGuard is part of Hendrick Autoguard and was on Larson’s car at the beginning of 2021. These are generally better opportunities, with better ringers, than what’s been out together for several years.

Hand has made noise at times this season
I won't turn my nose up at Joey; he's at least semi-familiar with the cars. I can't get excited about drivers on their first time racing a car over twice the weight of what they're used to, with 30 minutes practice. Yeah, I know, simulator time.

Back
Top Bottom