Silly Season 2023

JRM should just run the 7 & 88 in Cup and see if Spire wants to work out a deal.

Spire is the type of team to run 55 & 77. Haha

Guess it's the 54
7d1c190b392daf205a718ae092393f84.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I don’t really understand this whole situation with the 18. I think Coy Gibbs is a good father and all that, but I’m not a fan of him in the 54 at all.

They didn't mention sponsorship but one would have to assume that with using the 54 monster must be a big part of it to maintain the brand identity

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Definitely, and it makes sense. Their Cup Series marketing budget certain opened up with Kurt's stepping down. And with how much less salary Ty commands versus past champion Kurt, they can probably afford to sponsor Ty in Cup and follow Hailie to Xfinity both for less total money than Kurt's sponsorship costed on its own.

Plus probably a respect thing by other teams to not even wanna use it as well.
Exactly, like even if the 3 were available, does anybody think Roush or Hendrick or something is actually going to run that number? I'm kind of surprised it'd even been used in the truck series the way it has been the past couple years.

What difference does that make? Hendrick has run four cars for over 20 years, yet nobody ran the #5 between Kahne and Larson, and nobody has run the #25 for 15 years now
From 2001
Officially, Childress didn’t retire 3 shortly after Earnhardt’s death in the 2001 Daytona 500. NASCAR doesn’t retire numbers; rather, it owns and leases them to owners on an annual renewal basis. Childress simply paid to keep 3 in reserve until he was once again ready to use it.
not 100% sure because it has changed so much, but numbers are licensed

JGR will continue to license the number. That's how teams "hold" numbers. If a number is unlicensed, it can be used by any team, and even multiple teams at the same time.
So, it's not really NASCAR "doing them a solid", the team is still paying NASCAR for the license. RCR continued to hold the licensing rights to the #3 while they ran the #29 instead.

not 100% sure because it has changed so much, but numbers are licensed

JGR will continue to license the number. That's how teams "hold" numbers. If a number is unlicensed, it can be used by any team, and even multiple teams at the same time.
So, it's not really NASCAR "doing them a solid", the team is still paying NASCAR for the license. RCR continued to hold the licensing rights to the #3 while they ran the #29 instead.

I believe you are correct. And I also believe there are times when teams are asked by another team for their blessing to run a number that is no longer being paid/held by the former team. I thought I read somewhere that Kaulig asked for Roush's permission to run the 16. Not sure though. Your explanation seems accurate to me

Back
Top Bottom