Silly Season 2024

Not shocked at all. The guy is a wheelman and a fat check from his long time sponsor Red Bull is the icing on the cake.
I don't think anybody is shocked, three lines is all he got out of the whole article :idunno:

1690402062003.png

Yeah it's a stretch. But how about being competitive in dirt Sprints?

JJ Yeley is a USAC Triple Crown winner and we’ve seen how his career has gone. There are a number of dirt sprint guys who made the jump to NASCAR and fell flat on their race.

JJ Yeley is a USAC Triple Crown winner and we’ve seen how his career has gone. There are a number of dirt sprint guys who made the jump to NASCAR and fell flat on their race.
SVG's day job is driving Supercars, his part time gig is Sprint cars. In his case I don't think Dirt cars are an issue unless he drives for Gibbs which counts that bunch out probably.

Joe said that Denny still has a place on the team for as long as he wants it. He never said which team. Please be Denny to Xfinity. Please be Denny. :rolleyes: ;) ;) ;) ;) o_O:bounce::whoopee:
He better to be ready to take a cut in Pay if Fed X waffles or yeah I forgot, preacher will cover the difference.

JPM was/is one of the top 50 road course racers of the 21st century. And had plenty of oval experience. Still was just a flash in the pan with average equipment. One competitive oval race in his career (Indy the year he sped on pit road after leading a good chunk of the race...2010-2012 range of time??)

I think this is a lot of talk about SVG. Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt it. You can't just jump to the top level from nothing remotely comparative. JPM, Danica, Ambrose, and Hornish all tried and all did various degrees of below average.

what must people dont understand is most of these people came from indy cars. this guy has 60 wins in cars that are very close to the cup cars.:owquitit:

what must people dont understand is most of these people came from indy cars. this guy has 60 wins in cars that are very close to the cup cars.:owquitit:
It's a plus no doubt. Both cars use some similar parts, but SVG and any driver from outside is going to have to deal with Super Speedways and high speed ovals. There is no getting around that part.

JPM was/is one of the top 50 road course racers of the 21st century. And had plenty of oval experience. Still was just a flash in the pan with average equipment. One competitive oval race in his career (Indy the year he sped on pit road after leading a good chunk of the race...2010-2012 range of time??)

I think this is a lot of talk about SVG. Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt it. You can't just jump to the top level from nothing remotely comparative. JPM, Danica, Ambrose, and Hornish all tried and all did various degrees of below average.
In his final year in NASCAR JPM probably should’ve won the spring Dover and Richmond races as well. I think Richmond there was a late yellow while he was leading and then Dover he may have jumped the final restart in the front row.

After catching up on last night’s Supercars action I’m 100% confident Shane is done over there and ready to move onto something else, even if it’s a midpack Cup drive with half a dozen pretty good chances to win each season. That’s more than a lot of drivers could ask for.

In his final year in NASCAR JPM probably should’ve won the spring Dover and Richmond races as well. I think Richmond there was a late yellow while he was leading and then Dover he may have jumped the final restart in the front row.

After catching up on last night’s Supercars action I’m 100% confident Shane is done over there and ready to move onto something else, even if it’s a midpack Cup drive with half a dozen pretty good chances to win each season. That’s more than a lot of drivers could ask for.
A mid pack ride on up opens up a lot of possibilities if that is what he is looking for. The money is probably better in Cup from that point.

Biggest news here is he may run an Xfinity program to get up to speed on ovals rather than jump straight into the deep end with a full-time Cup program.

"When I study it, Marcos [Ambrose] did three years before he went to Cup full-time. [Juan Pablo] Montoya was pretty much a full season as well. Nobody has ever gone into Cup.

"And I have no illusion that those ovals are going to be easy. It's going to take a lot of time to learn. I don't have a plan, hopefully I'll work it out when I'm over there."

I think it'll actually be harder to find. He may have some Cup teams willing to hire him on merit, for a shot to win any of the 7 roadcourses, but Xfinity is almost entirely pay drivers.
Not knowing if SVG is bringing sponsorship or not, one thing in his favor is that a driver like he is will attract sponsorship if he hasn't any (which I doubt). Either way I can't see that being an issue wherever he goes. I would think picking a team where he fits in and they have decent equipment will be what he is looking for.

Biggest news here is he may run an Xfinity program to get up to speed on ovals rather than jump straight into the deep end with a full-time Cup program.
Montoya did go straight to Cup, he only ran 4 Xfinity races and 2 ARCA races at the end of 2006.
Looking at his results he struggled to make the Top 20 on ovals in 2007 and 2008 but I'm not sure how strong CGR was considered back then.
I don't think it would be a bad idea if Shane ran a part-time Cup and full-time Xfinity program in his first year.

So many things have changed since Ambrose and Montoya raced in cup I can't really compare it to today's cup. I think with a good crew that sets up the car and a sharp crew chief, the only thing SVG has to work on is being able to communicate what the car needs going forward in the race. The harder part will be learning how the other drivers race. Remembering not to try to pass Hamlin on the outside when going for a win, or what do do if Newman is in the race. Knowing who will help and who won't. Things like that will make the difference.

So many things have changed since Ambrose and Montoya raced in cup I can't really compare it to today's cup. I think with a good crew that sets up the car and a sharp crew chief, the only thing SVG has to work on is being able to communicate what the car needs going forward in the race. The harder part will be learning how the other drivers race. Remembering not to try to pass Hamlin on the outside when going for a win, or what do do if Newman is in the race. Knowing who will help and who won't. Things like that will make the difference.
and dont ever race a race that has paul tracy in it.

I don't know what his contract with Chevy looks like but I suspect they'd like to keep him in the fold. If so, that points to Jr, RCR, or maybe Kaulig.
Maybe he could be the one to replace Josh Berry in the 8 for a year. I don’t remember seeing anything announced yet

People move home and family across oceans to run in the B Main?

I don’t think so.

When was the last time someone won the first race they entered?

It’s the simulator age … the world has changed.

When was the last time someone won the first race they entered?

It’s the simulator age … the world has changed.
That's quite a stretch and a smart feller would see that all of the odds fell in SVG's lap. Rain, and a street race. Factors SVG had way more experience than any Cup drivers who had zero street races and very little if any experience racing in the rain. The simulators helped everybody.

Back
Top Bottom