Silly Season 2024

For the purpose of clarity, Mr. Larson said something that got him fired. That's not just a cringe.
And yet he has a job again, which proves that if you are good enough or bring enough money, nobody REALLY cares what you say, despite all the posturing for public consumption. Michael Vick, anyone? Deshaun Watson, Steve Howe and on and on and on. If Matty D had some ten million dollar sponsor, NOBODY, not even Roger Penske would give a damn what his politics are. Roger got rid of Matty because he didn't bring the cash like Burton does, plain and simple.

Testing at Hickory today for 3F with 16 year old EuroNASCAR driver Max Mason.

Not to defend Reddit (haven't ever even been there) but I'm not convinced they are wrong on either one of those positions. If you gave me the choice of either one over the dead weight currently in the 21, I'll side with Reddit every day and twice on race day.
Dibenedetto was pretty damn good in that car. Reddit just ignores facts because they turned against.

And yet he has a job again, which proves that if you are good enough or bring enough money, nobody REALLY cares what you say, despite all the posturing for public consumption. Michael Vick, anyone? Deshaun Watson, Steve Howe and on and on and on. If Matty D had some ten million dollar sponsor, NOBODY, not even Roger Penske would give a damn what his politics are. Roger got rid of Matty because he didn't bring the cash like Burton does, plain and simple.
And Penske us reaping the benefits of that right now in wrecked race cars.

He’s getting squeezed out, right? RWR have gotten a bit better this year but there’s no way a driver wakes up and thinks RWR is the move.
That’s the only thing I can think of.. because I can’t see someone leaving a halfway decent team that can maybe get you a few good finishes and maybe even a win or two on plate tracks….to a dumpster fire.

Chandler Smith doesn’t strike me as someone who’ll be ready for at least another year. Maybe the trophy hunters went and got them SVG? Kaulig would be an ideal fit for him.

I can't see having SVG as a good move for a still young Cup team, that gives you 2 guys if AJ is back who will really only be threats at road courses. Unless RWR is getting a lot of support from somewhere this is a career killer for Justin Haley.

Unless RWR is getting a lot of support from somewhere this is a career killer for Justin Haley.
He’s pinning his hopes on the RFK alliance. I guess we’ll see about that, it has helped a bit this year I think, but they still have a long way to go. Yeley has done respectably at times. Still a downgrade from Kaulig for the time being.

I can't see having SVG as a good move for a still young Cup team, that gives you 2 guys if AJ is back who will really only be threats at road courses. Unless RWR is getting a lot of support from somewhere this is a career killer for Justin Haley.

I can understand signing with RWR if it’s the only offer you have but doing a multi year deal with RWR is career suicide.

Do a one year deal, see how it goes, and evaluate your options. Dropping down to Xfinity is a better option than watching your career die off with RWR.

I can understand signing with RWR if it’s the only offer you have but doing a multi year deal with RWR is career suicide.

Do a one year deal, see how it goes, and evaluate your options. Dropping down to Xfinity is a better option than watching your career die off with RWR.
Yep. I said it a couple weeks back. I rather be on a good Xfinity team than a crappy Cup one.

I'm sad that when I call for the weekly RWR caution to bunch the field when someone I dont care for takes the lead or is winning, that call will be now for Justin Haley. I thought him and Kaulig were building something pretty good there. Guess not.

Man I am a liberal who listens to country music and watches NASCAR so I totally agree that we don’t need to agree with someone’s politics to enjoy what they do.

But DiBenedetto did a terrible job of reading the room. In a sport where Joe Gibbs and Richard Childress are open and proud conservatives, he still managed to rub people the wrong way. He was also in a contract year and looking for a new ride. He did everything wrong that you could possibly do.

I mean, the overwhelming majority of people inside the sport and the vast majority of fans agree with Matt DiBenedetto's politics.

What rubbed me the wrong way about it was that it looked like he was trying to frame a narrative that he was fired for being an outspoken social conservative - which is BS.

It would be easy for RWR to cut it's DNF rate in half. Park one of the cars.

I'd ask if Haley is getting the #15 or #15 but really, does it make any difference?

"Nobody" requires you to assess a lot of people. I don't think you did, but I do think you think you did.
OK, I clarify my comment by narrowing the "nobody" to those that actually matter, meaning car owners and or sponsors. I thought that was implied. Tom Brady could have committed first degree murder, and at least a couple of owners would have been trying to get him on their roster. 90% of moral indignation in professional sports goes out the window when the rubber meets the road.

Haley is going to be in basically a 3rd RFK car you watch.
Should we hold our breath? Nothing has been said about that. What IS is that RWR has an affiliation with RFK. Haley hasn't exactly been burning up the top 5's, stage wins, or victories in the Cup series. He's sitting 21st with one whole top 5. But as Rick Ware says, he doesn't wreck and that is a plus.

Should we hold our breath? Nothing has been said about that. What IS is that RWR has an affiliation with RFK. Haley hasn't exactly been burning up the top 5's, stage wins, or victories in the Cup series. He's sitting 21st with one whole top 5. But as Rick Ware says, he doesn't wreck and that is a plus.
I personally don't think he's the next sliced bread so to speak but he seems to do a solid job. And his statement reads that RFK is pivotal to all of this.

Business relationships with top teams are pivotal to every mid-pack and lower team that doesn’t have a dozen mechanical engineers on staff.

He's a talented young driver. He's had several great runs for a relatively new Cup team. Booting him makes little sense tbh.

He booted himself. :idunno: Loosely similar to Reddick bailing to 23 tennis shoe
Not quite.
Reddick had a future at RCR and made a lateral move to 23XI on his own accord.
Haley made a proactive move because his future at Kaulig is over.

I saw it mentioned here somewhere that it must be SVG to Kaulig because they said they would know the Monday after Indy. What if it’s actually Brodie to Cup next year? They do seem to like surprises.

Back
Top Bottom