Silly Season 2024

A public figure made a comment to a reporter. It MUST be true. :rolleyes:
DUDE! The public figure was the man himself! Widely considered a classy and kind gentleman. Perhaps one who is not prone to bull**** as he doesn't ever say much. One who suffered a heart attack. One who had a family that probably preferred that he professionally downsize. WTF....is this bull**** narrative real? I mean come on...

I know that SOU need this Barney got screwed narrative really badly.....Wonder what your thoughts are about the almighty Mr. H intimidating Justin Marks, and neutering his lead driver.....I know that's different.......Whatever.

I know that SOU need this Barney got screwed narrative really badly.....Wonder what your thoughts are about the almighty Mr. H intimidating Justin Marks, and neutering his lead driver.....I know that's different.......Whatever.
I don't know that Justin Marks CAN be intimidated, at least over something as trivial as Ross wrecking drivers, but if people within the sport say that it happened, I would at least consider the possibility. I respect the hell out of Mr. H, but he's no choir boy, and we are ALL aware of that. Joe Gibbs is no choir boy either, and that's fine, just don't pretend that he is. The people I work for profess their faith and love of God just as much as Joe Gibbs does, but when it comes to business, they can be as cut throat as anyone else. In our market, we go head to head with Roger Penske's people every day. It's kill or be killed.

Pockrass quoted the man.
It is quite possible that It was important to Barney, who undoubtedly is a very proud man, to have the situation framed as HIS decision to leave the sport instead of him getting pushed around and out by some old football coach. Kind of like when a driver announces a mutual decision to part ways with a team when everyone KNOWS he was fired.

This is what Barney said...

Visser also wouldn't blame JGR for increasing the price on the alliance. He wouldn't say how much the increase was, but Visser said he was willing to pay his fair share.

"What Joe Gibbs was talking about wasn't ridiculous," Visser said of the alliance fee. "His numbers were purely objective. ... What we couldn't agree on was how much we brought to them and how much that was worth spread over four cars. That was subjective.

"We were very close [to doing the deal] when we lost the big sponsor."

*Bob Pockrass, ESPN, 2018

Why do we keep discussing this? So desperate for the narrative. Comical.

What I’ve never been able to put together is what inducements did Barney receive for lying? Was he paid to make a false statement and if so who paid him? Or was he simply just telling the truth?

Barney always seemed like his own man to me and if JGR was essentially running him out of business I would expect him to say so.

Another thing I wondered is if Barney was being run off from Toyota why did he quit instead of running a Ford or Chevy? It makes me think that maybe he was ready to retire. I know he funded several races with his own company and I believe he was losing a sponsor too. I think there were several things in play that made Barney hang it up. This is just my 2 cents worth.

It is quite possible that It was important to Barney, who undoubtedly is a very proud man, to have the situation framed as HIS decision to leave the sport instead of him getting pushed around and out by some old football coach. Kind of like when a driver announces a mutual decision to part ways with a team when everyone KNOWS he was fired.

If Barney wanted to keep racing why not switch manufacturers? He was successful when he ran Chevy’s and I’m sure they would have welcomed him back. What am I missing here?

If Barney wanted to keep racing why not switch manufacturers? He was successful when he ran Chevy’s and I’m sure they would have welcomed him back. What am I missing here?
If I were to speculate, it might just have been the tipping point where he just said the hell with it. Starting over again with a new manufacturer and a new alliance partner is a lot of work, and maybe the opportunities to switch weren't that attractive. They had already ditched Chevy, so that may have only left Ford. Penske and Roush Fenway were probably out, so that would leave SHR that was barely removed from being a HMS satellite itself. If I had to guess, I would guess that if things had remained status quo, Barney sticks around a while longer. Just a guess of course.

Pious Joe did jack up the price to Barney, that is a fact. Another fact is that Gibbs doesn't control the affiliate teams anymore, they all get their orders and support from TRD now individually...I wonder why?

This is what Barney said...

Visser also wouldn't blame JGR for increasing the price on the alliance. He wouldn't say how much the increase was, but Visser said he was willing to pay his fair share.

"What Joe Gibbs was talking about wasn't ridiculous," Visser said of the alliance fee. "His numbers were purely objective. ... What we couldn't agree on was how much we brought to them and how much that was worth spread over four cars. That was subjective.

"We were very close [to doing the deal] when we lost the big sponsor."

*Bob Pockrass, ESPN, 2018

Why do we keep discussing this? So desperate for the narrative. Comical.
Five years on and this is still being discussed? Damn.

Pious Joe did jack up the price to Barney, that is a fact. Another fact is that Gibbs doesn't control the affiliate teams anymore, they all get their orders and support from TRD now individually...I wonder why?

I agree and it likely one of several reasons why Barney packed it in.

Barney Visser still has a hand in NASCAR.

One of his Colorado-based companies, Visser Precision LLC, is the manufacturer / supplier of Nextgen front and rear suspension control arms.
cool. ive got a set of those on a shelf, dont ask.

cool. ive got a set of those on a shelf, dont ask.
Resized_20230925_153839.jpeg

Source please.....nevermind.....

I kind of want JGR to switch back to Chevy and for Hendrick to switch to Toyota.

I would pay to see Rev trash The Preacher and praise The Felon.
Wouldn't that be like @StandOnIt ****ting on Kyle Busch and then turning around and being his biggest fanboy just because he went to Chevy? That could never happen they said.

I don't know that Justin Marks CAN be intimidated, at least over something as trivial as Ross wrecking drivers, but if people within the sport say that it happened, I would at least consider the possibility. I respect the hell out of Mr. H, but he's no choir boy, and we are ALL aware of that. Joe Gibbs is no choir boy either, and that's fine, just don't pretend that he is. The people I work for profess their faith and love of God just as much as Joe Gibbs does, but when it comes to business, they can be as cut throat as anyone else. In our market, we go head to head with Roger Penske's people every day. It's kill or be killed.
Oh he can, and he was. Hendrick wags the Chevy tail, and he damn well knows it. It is a given that Hendrick isn't a choir boy, and the legal system would back that up. Nobody has ever said Coach was a choir boy. He coached grown ass men on a football field. He might have cussed a time or two. The narrative that coach is a hypocrite is built upon a perception of who a Christian should be, and his business acumen.

So, who's going to be in the 42 next year? Everybody thought it was going to be JHM. But Hosevar has done well for himself in that car.

So, who's going to be in the 42 next year? Everybody thought it was going to be JHM. But Hosevar has done well for himself in that car.
JHN already got confirmed to Legacy a few weeks back.

Hocevar’s name has most been associated with the Spire 77 for next year.

Back
Top Bottom