Silly Season 2024

Here's one to watch out for. Several stories have been posted today about the possibility of SHR selling one or all of their charters for 2025. Stewart is nowhere near a NASCAR track now that he'd done calling races on TV and drag racing. I don't know if Gene Haas cares anything about it.

Here's one to watch out for. Several stories have been posted today about the possibility of SHR selling one or all of their charters for 2025. Stewart is nowhere near a NASCAR track now that he'd done calling races on TV and drag racing. I don't know if Gene Haas cares anything about it.

I think dropping down to a two car team would be a good move for them.
Preece imo is the obvious one. Who is getting the boot after? Noah can be a building block for them, Berry they just signed and the 4 is fully funded as is, and Briscoe has shown he can run well in the past in the 14. Hard decision to make if they would go down to 2.

Preece imo is the obvious one. Who is getting the boot after? Noah can be a building block for them, Berry they just signed and the 4 is fully funded as is, and Briscoe has shown he can run well in the past in the 14. Hard decision to make if they would go down to 2.

Yeah, I think the 41 charter is definitely for sale, but I doubt they drop down to two cars....yet.

Some extra cash will come in handy.

You could run a Cup car for a year on the Haas F1 at-track catering budget.

Some extra cash will come in handy.

You could run a Cup car for a year on the Haas F1 at-track catering budget.
Well, with their record in both series, maybe they should take another look at what they're spending money on. The way Haas F1 runs, they should be serving Roman noodles and lunch meat on day old bread.

Man I think if Gene cared anything about spending money in motorsports he would have sold his F1 entries to Andretti

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Wow, blocked by the paywall, but given the summary statement (could sell some or ALL charters), I think it’s the shot across the bow. Remember, the whole charter system thing is up for grabs, with no known negotiation advances shared to date. Even if they come to agreement, it’s thought NASCAR wants it to eventually go away. That puts an expiration date on the assets, and an immediate discount on current value. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Stewart saying “heck with this” and seek an exit.

Wow, blocked by the paywall, but given the summary statement (could sell some or ALL charters), I think it’s the shot across the bow. Remember, the whole charter system thing is up for grabs, with no known negotiation advances shared to date. Even if they come to agreement, it’s thought NASCAR wants it to eventually go away. That puts an expiration date on the assets, and an immediate discount on current value. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Stewart saying “heck with this” and seek an exit.
Try to buy one.

If you want crackpot wild ass speculation…how about this SHR scenario?

SHR aligns with Chevy after the Ford contract ends. Then with Chevy’s blessing and a cash infusion, a merger with JRM. Brings NASCAR Jesus into Cup and creates another tier one team. It’s a nice exit strategy for the “S” or the “H”.

I'm not a fan of SHR selling charters. The team is doing better than last year, Gragson has been very impressive. I'd give it a little more time & see if they continue to run well before selling. Charters are such a prized possession, if you decide you want to get it back later, it would be nearly impossible to do so.

Charter prices were never higher than recently, although their value may be slipping due to the stuck negotiations with NASCAR on renewals. Car teams facilities, equipment, even driver contracts have some value, but the charters represent the majority $$$ to these owners. Gotta have some folks with big bucks to buy these however, and not sure JRM is even in the market.

If there were a new brand preparing to come on board next season, I could see SHR grabbing their investment and being the lead team. But, that process would need to already be underway with NASCAR and there is nothing on radar currently. There was brief rumor of Honda possibly getting involved, but nothing since.

^I hope they get the new manufacturer question settled by the end of the summer so they can figure out what they're doing with the new engine.

If you want crackpot wild ass speculation…how about this SHR scenario?

SHR aligns with Chevy after the Ford contract ends. Then with Chevy’s blessing and a cash infusion, a merger with JRM. Brings NASCAR Jesus into Cup and creates another tier one team. It’s a nice exit strategy for the “S” or the “H”.
You would have a VERY hard time convincing me Chevy would have the slightest interest in SHR, Jr. or no Jr. One, it would be a huge slap in the face to their current partners, and two, the last Chevy-SHR marriage didn't end well. The ONLY way I could see Jr. being interested is if he and Kelly had effective day to day control over the race team. Don't see that one happening either.

You would have a VERY hard time convincing me Chevy would have the slightest interest in SHR, Jr. or no Jr. One, it would be a huge slap in the face to their current partners, and two, the last Chevy-SHR marriage didn't end well. The ONLY way I could see Jr. being interested is if he and Kelly had effective day to day control over the race team. Don't see that one happening either.
In my crackpot fantasy scenario I have Gene & Tony doing their non-NASCAR things and Kelly running the whole show. She's shown herself to be more than up to the task.

It’s going to be another long silly season of this fandom trying to will Dale Jr into NASCAR Cup Ownership when he’s repeatedly said multiple times over that the price isn’t right for him. If it wasn’t right last year, the year before that and the year before that, what’s the inclination that this is the year? Every ownership scenario circles back to Jr, it’s exhausting. Especially when there’s prospective owners like Andretti looking to maybe get in or current teams like Trackhouse and 23XI, maybe Roush looking to expand which I find much more interesting…… than yet another installment of “How to spend Jr’s money this time around”

I'm calling it.....Truex will retire IMO this year.....Who gets the ride? I am not feeling a Driver Development prospect.

I'm calling it.....Truex will retire IMO this year.....Who gets the ride? I am not feeling a Driver Development prospect.
I think the Preacher tries to snag an established driver, like Chase Briscoe. SHR should do everything in their power to keep Briscoe though.

I think the Preacher tries to snag an established driver, like Chase Briscoe. SHR should do everything in their power to keep Briscoe though.
Though had crossed my mind honestly....with SHR going down the ****ter.

Briscoe in the 21 could be a decent fit if SHR downsize to 2. He came up through Ford’s pipeline, though I’m not sure how much they feel they need to keep him at this point. I think he still has more to show at this level though.

It’s going to be another long silly season of this fandom trying to will Dale Jr into NASCAR Cup Ownership when he’s repeatedly said multiple times over that the price isn’t right for him. If it wasn’t right last year, the year before that and the year before that, what’s the inclination that this is the year? Every ownership scenario circles back to Jr, it’s exhausting. Especially when there’s prospective owners like Andretti looking to maybe get in or current teams like Trackhouse and 23XI, maybe Roush looking to expand which I find much more interesting…… than yet another installment of “How to spend Jr’s money this time around”
Unless Junior finds an equity partner - and I don’t even think he would want to do it with significant help - I think his window has come and passed; the charter market is just too hot now. He’s definitely not going to outbid Justin Marks anytime soon as is.

Unless Junior finds an equity partner - and I don’t even think he would want to do it with significant help - I think his window has come and passed; the charter market is just too hot now. He’s definitely not going to outbid Justin Marks anytime soon as is.
This is the second week they are running a 5th ride buyers car in Xfinity. Business is good

It seems to me there’s a better than even chance that NASCAR wants to kill the Charter system because they desperately want Jr Motorsports in the Cup Series.

Naturally, I could be wrong. 😇

It seems to me there’s a better than even chance that NASCAR wants to kill the Charter system because they desperately want Jr Motorsports in the Cup Series.

Naturally, I could be wrong.
Well, charters are doing the complete opposite of controlling the cost for owners to compete. The new cost saving car isn't really accomplishing much either.

i just dont see why a well funded team.with good sponsors,like jrs team would be, cant make it work, with out a charter or starting 40 million in the hole.even part time to get started.

i just dont see why a well funded team.with good sponsors,like jrs team would be, cant make it work, with out a charter or starting 40 million in the hole.even part time to get started.

No charter and if you have an issue during qualifying you don't make the race at most of the big races. If your trying to win a championship that's a problem. Why would a championship quality driver sign with a team without a charter?

well theres allot of great teams and drivers that dont have 40 million,that more likely would qualify for every race, also just how long would a team that runs 15 to 25 take to get 40 million back? and if you run part time missing a race is not that big of a deal. remember its 40 MILLION DOLLARS

Could you make it on 65% of your current income?
A lot of people could if they didn't have a mortgage payment or, in this case a charter payment. Eventually the ROI for a charter won't be worth it over running an open car.

Could you make it on 65% of your current income?
A lot of people could if they didn't have a mortgage payment or, in this case a charter payment. Eventually the ROI for a charter won't be worth it over running an open car.

The ROI is realized when the charter being discussed is sold. That’s the whole point of this deal.

The initial purchase price of the 36 charters was $ 0.00 …. the first sale was made by Tommy Baldwin - reported to be $ 2.5 Million.

ROI

it would be a huge slap in the face to their current partners
Why? I think the problem is that The Felon got pissy after SHR beat his ass in his own stuff. His ego will cause the Chevy leash to be pulled with a significant tug IMO.

Back
Top Bottom