Silly Season 2024

If this is what is playing out (per your conjecture), narcissist Hambone is REALLY playing hard ball leverage with Toyota. Basically he’s squeezing them for massive money to buy a third charter, using the threat of both leaving preacher AND moving 23XI to a different badge (a la the Ford chatter) if he doesn’t get it all. Personally I think this is why it was wrong for NASCAR to allow him to drive for one team and be co-owner of a different team. IF he is doing this, it is a major manipulation of two ownership teams AND a major manufacturer in the sport.
I don't see where he's playing hardball. If the contract with JGR alliance ends next year, it's obvious that there needs to be a new deal done. Having another charter is good business for Toyota as a whole.

Of course, @ one point, Denny is going to want to drive for himself. It makes sense in all aspects.

I don't see where he's playing hardball. If the contract with JGR alliance ends next year, it's obvious that there needs to be a new deal done. Having another charter is good business for Toyota as a whole.

Of course, @ one point, Denny is going to want to drive for himself. It makes sense in all aspects.
The hardball part is the demand for a charter. This comes very close to becoming a factory team. Better look at the fine print several times, Dr. Faust.

TRD have typically concentrated their support on a select number of entries. Given the addition of Legacy, and 23XI’s expansion hopes (the plans for the new shop they’re building have four hauler bays), the sticking point probably is making sure the requisite OEM support is there if they manage to grab a charter or two. I don’t doubt Denny wants to make it work on both sides…if he were to need to move 23XI to Ford any prospective driving seat with the OEM would be a step down for him.

What if he is the one to go to the #10, with an SHR-23XI alliance similar to the JGR one? He was a teammate to Tony for a long time, and with the rest of their lineup so young they really need a veteran or at least someone more established once Harvick is gone IMO.
DBC threw that possibility out there tonight

He could be just as easily be doing the Kyle shuffle with that bunch. This late in the season and he doesn't have a contract?

So basically since most parts are spec all around anymore, we’re mainly just waiting for Denny to pick his team’s noses? :D :owquitit: :owquitit:

So basically since most parts are spec all around anymore, we’re mainly just waiting for Denny to pick his team’s noses? :D :owquitit: :owquitit:
There could be serious decaling to be done leading to cut off lines and playoff implications. The gerbils would hold a wake if Hamlin switched.

He could be just as easily be doing the Kyle shuffle with that bunch. This late in the season and he doesn't have a contract?
Because he’s got to get the deal done for 2KXI In Toyota’s. He can’t drive one make of car and own a team with another make. Once the deal with that’s done he can re-sign.

Because he’s got to get the deal done for 2KXI In Toyota’s. He can’t drive one make of car and own a team with another make. Once the deal with that’s done he can re-sign.
You misunderstood. I'm coming from look at what happened to Barney, Leavine, and Kyle.

You misunderstood. I'm coming from look at what happened to Barney, Leavine, and Kyle.
The first two you can kinda compare, because you can say Joe ran those teams off. I don’t think you can compare the Kyle situation. That’s totally different.

This is getting wild. Rampant speculation on socials is that SHR might sell TWO charters

So they'd obviously keep Berry in the 4...but who else do they keep then? Almirola is out I would think Preece is liked by Smoke but Briscoe can be better than that team has been.

So they'd obviously keep Berry in the 4...but who else do they keep then? Almirola is out I would think Preece is liked by Smoke but Briscoe can be better than that team has been.
I would be surprised if it was anyone but Berry in the 4 and Briscoe in the 14, the other two you can do without if they are selling.

Sell two charters switch to Chevy with Berry and Preece.

Briscoe goes to the 21 almirola retires
Burton goes to xfinity
Hamlin gets a charter and drives for himself.

Like Kyle, the preacher is running the clock down on Hamlin before he slips him the knife I'm guessing. Gibbs took a hit and sold 20% of his team, Toyota gave 23 tennis shoe and LMC equal footing and removed JGR out of the mother ship role, so he's done manipulating the other yota teams and giving them the left overs. All three are on their own.
Hell, Hamlin could be pissed off at the way things are going and Gibbs holier than thou attitude. He might want to drive for his OWN team, he could switch OEM's. It's all up in the air at this point.

I was told I was spewing BS by a certain passionate fan when I said Toyota and Gibbs would be hard to make a deal with when 23XI started running competitively. Well, well, well…

I have always taken a very skeptical approach to the more wild and tough to believe NASCAR rumors, but I just can't shake the notion that there IS something to all of this. That doesn't mean that 23XI WILL move to Ford, but it sure feels like they are at least TALKING about it. Smoke doesn't always mean fire, but the smoke on this deal keeps getting thicker.

I was told I was spewing BS by a certain passionate fan when I said Toyota and Gibbs would be hard to make a deal with when 23XI started running competitively. Well, well, well…
I haven’t been on as much the last few weeks, but The Rev has been strangely silent on the last couple of pages I’ve been catching up on

1692794439251.png

Sell two charters switch to Chevy with Berry and Preece.

Briscoe goes to the 21 almirola retires
Burton goes to xfinity
Hamlin gets a charter and drives for himself.
You know, you may actually be onto something here.

Briscoe's dream was to drive for Tony, but Briscoe has also been a Ford driver this whole time, and Ford has taken care of him. I wonder if Ford Performance pulls the strings to get Briscoe the 21, keeping him in the Ford camp and sells it to him that Penske is a better opportunity than sticking with the sinking ship that is SHR.

In that case yeah, Preece and Berry together through the rebuilding phase at SHR, and both of those guys are going to have fairly low Cup salaries so it makes sense for the team to keep them on. They'll still have Mobil 1 and probably Rush Truck Centers to keep one car going, and continue the Haas branding on the other with maybe some appearances from Bass Pro thrown into the mix too. Tony and Berry both have a relationship with Bass Pro, so that seems probable that we'd see Berry with some support from them in Cup even a few races a year.

My knee-jerk reaction initially was that Briscoe would stay with SHR, no brainer, but I could see it going the other way. I think his heart would say stick with Tony but his brain would say go with Ford. Tough choice if it comes down to that.

Ok, now with the Zane Smith talks sprinkled in, 23XI should absolutely make the switch. Ford is big on Zane, Zane is a top prospect, and 23XI would likely be getting tons of manufacturer support through this move, and Ford loses four SHR cars but gains three 23XI cars which is more valuable on track now anyway.

I'm still shocked about two SHR charters potentially being sold just because this fall from the top is insane. They were at one time the top performing Ford organization and now they're being ditched and downsizing.

With Tony's focus on other things, I do wonder if that has shaken the level of commitment that Ford feels for the team to get out of their current mess. Remember when Evernham became basically an absentee owner per Jeremy Mayfield's account? Say what you will about Mayfield, but when that happened the 9 and 19 did in fact decline, and it never recovered. When the team was just Haas, even with HMS support that team was never good. It was the Stewart element that turned that organization around.

This comes as a surprise, they were still one of the top-tier teams in Trucks.

Daniel Dye is not an up-and-coming star but he'll surely find a team willing to take his money. He isn't fast but crashes much less often than certain other truck series drivers.
Rajah has some potential, would like to see him at KBM alongside Purdy.

Back
Top Bottom