Sports TV ratings, etc. Random sports talk

They make tons of money with subscriptions and they have to keep that valid to keep the cable bills flowing
Gotta love those dual revenue streams. Advertising and subscriptions? Pretty good haul.

Not a whole lot left that's exclusively OTA. FOX put a whole bunch of the MLB Postseason on FS1. NBA Playoffs, mostly on cable, including the entirety of both conference finals. The big bowl games have been on cable for almost a decade now.

Besides the NFL, I don't think any two sports are more OTA-friendly than NASCAR and golf.

Speaking of 'homer' channels.....

I just recently went over to all streaming. In doing that, one of the services that I am using is called SetTV. It is awesome as a huge sports fan. Every single NFL, NHL, MLB & NBA game is on. The only drawback for me is that I've got a 50/50 chance of getting the wrong market as the broadcasting team. It's interesting to see how biased or even unbiased the announcing crews are.

Why I wonder what folks are complaining about with races on FS1 and NBCSN. Jumping from ESPN to TBS to TNN to ABC to CBS couldn't have been that convenient.
No, it wasn't convenient but it was more than doable. As long as you got the channels that is. I've always been lucky. I used to have one of those BUD's, Big Ugly Dish's. I had a 10' black wire mesh dish that I could get everything on. And I mean everything. Back before they scrambled. They used to beam the signal up to the satellite and back down to the network. In turn, commercials were added and sent back out to the cable companies and the like. Being able to grab the raw feed meant that you were able to watch all the action. The camera's didn't stop during the commercials, only the booth guys did. That was true for all sports, NFL, MLB, NHL..... Not sure about the NBA as I was never a fan. Those were great days in televised sports...... with the exception of broadcast quality. Today is second to none when it comes to that. I grew up in a time when my mom turned the mixer on in the kitchen, the picture in the living-room went snowy. Thankfully those days are long gone. Every picture is crystal clear.

Gotta love those dual revenue streams. Advertising and subscriptions? Pretty good haul.

Not a whole lot left that's exclusively OTA. FOX put a whole bunch of the MLB Postseason on FS1. NBA Playoffs, mostly on cable, including the entirety of both conference finals. The big bowl games have been on cable for almost a decade now.

Besides the NFL, I don't think any two sports are more OTA-friendly than NASCAR and golf.
If you have a subscription, if you don't they are a disaster. Plenty of stick n ball on OTA to watch

If you have a subscription, if you don't they are a disaster. Plenty of stick n ball on OTA to watch
In contrast, I don't think there is.

MLB - FS1, ESPN/2, TBS, MLB Network carry most national games. Some FOX. You're gonna need cable for your RSN if you follow the local team as well.

NHL - Mostly NBCSN and NHL Network. Some NBC. CNBC and USA a little once the playoffs roll around. RSNs.

NBA - Mostly ESPN/2, TNT, NBA TV. Some ABC. RSNs.

Between CBS, ABC, FOX, and NBC, college football might come closest. But then again, the bowl games are almost all on cable. And with how many games there are on ESPN/2/U/News, FS1, and CBSSN, you still need cable if you're a diehard.

It wouldn't be a proper ratings discussion around here without the one guy who has no interest in the programming but is obsessed with finding negative news to post about it.

It will be interesting to see how the playoffs viewership develops given this unusual reality.

It wouldn't be a proper ratings discussion around here without the one guy who has no interest in the programming but is obsessed with finding negative news to post about it.

Sorry your feathers ruffle so easily. Proving once again that sports in general are on the decline as far as ratings go. Many were touting how great the b ballers were doing. They are falling about the same across the board, 10% for the NFL, 11% last year for Nascar, and the March Madness at 11%. Stay tuned for the NBA.

Sorry your feathers ruffle so easily.

I've made myself clear before. You're playing the same game SkoalPunk plays, and it's just as tiresome here. If you had any genuine interest to post in a general sports thread beyond trying to make "stick n ball" look bad, it would be different.

I've made myself clear before. You're playing the same game SkoalPunk plays, and it's just as tiresome here. If you had any genuine interest to post in a general sports thread beyond trying to make "stick n ball" look bad, it would be different.
I disagree, but you have your opinion and you are welcome to it. continue being ruffled... your choice

Sorry your feathers ruffle so easily. Proving once again that sports in general are on the decline as far as ratings go. Many were touting how great the b ballers were doing. They are falling about the same across the board, 10% for the NFL, 11% last year for Nascar, and the March Madness at 11%. Stay tuned for the NBA.
You know the tournament is going to go back up next year when the three biggest games are on CBS again, right? The ratings were down 4% and viewership up 3% from the only other year (2016) where the final weekend was exclusively on cable.

It will be interesting to see how the playoffs viewership develops given this unusual reality.

They desperately need Toronto not to make a run. Injuries I would guess will hurt at least a little. No Kyrie Irving at all, no Curry for at least the first round. I don’t think it’ll be bad but they could really use Cavs/76ers and Rockets/Warriors in the conference finals.

Even without Tiger. Something about a rising tide lifting all boats.

PGA Enters Masters With Strong Houston Open
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/04/pga-tour-ratings-houston-open-viewership/

Rockets Sputter on ABC, Capping Slow Week
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/04/nba-viewership-rockets-spurs-abc/

Through Sunday, NBA regular season games have averaged 1.933 million viewers across ESPN, ABC and TNT, up 9% from last year (1.78M) and up a fraction of a percent from 2015-16 (1.924M). An earlier version of this post reported that the games were averaging 1.921 million. That average was based on publicly available NBA viewership figures. The 1.933 million figure is from the NBA.

(Why the discrepancy? The publicly available data reported on this site and others is not always the final word from Nielsen. For ESPN programs, Nielsen will later add additional data from OTT, computer and mobile devices. For example, the initial reported figure for the November 22 Warriors-Thunder game was 3.230 million viewers, but that rose to 3.282 million with OTT streaming data included. The NBA and the networks have the updated data, which is not always available to industry sites.)

When it comes to Nascar's ratings there is not a whole lot to be discussed as I think the Texas race was off over 30% and most of the others this year are off in the 20% range. I suppose you can try and list all the reasons Nascar is tanking in terms of popularity but the real reason is likely that American motorsports have fallen out of favor like boxing and tennis. I am not saying those sports are on life support just that, like Nascar, they had their day and are now tertiary offerings at best.

Obviously you don't need to be a rocket scientist to understand that there is little or no correlation between the slippage of stick and ball ratings to the massive decline of Nascar's ratings, interest, popularity and attendance. If one wants to take things out of context and totality you can make just about anything say whatever you wish however when that is done inaccuracies are being put forth as the premise is wrong.

What a day. I'm busy doing my laundry. Wash Rinse Repeat. Over and over. I think that I'll put the boat in and catch dinner.

I disagree, but you have your opinion and you are welcome to it. continue being ruffled... your choice

I have no problem with how you operate concerning stick and ball and the ratings of them and if I did I would just skip over them.

What a day. I'm busy doing my laundry. Wash Rinse Repeat. Over and over. I think that I'll put the boat in and catch dinner.

Please do not forget your personal flotation device as none of us want you having to post from Davey Jones' locker.

Too late to put the boat in. I've got other fish to fry.

IndyCar Phoenix was the best race of the week for me.

I probably agree, and it is depressing how little people care. Not because of the need to have what I like be popular, but because IndyCar is saying publicly that the event has to make financial sense to continue going back.

I honestly can't believe that not only did a bad round of Supercross (which I love) outdraw it by almost 50%, but that a morning F1 race more than doubled it. Oh well.

Eh IndyCar could be saying that for a number of reasons. The car this year is the best looking car they have had in years. I'm never satisfied, I would like to see them work on the front..it looks like they forgot to do anything to the front. But overall from many angles it looks muscular.

This is a little surprising to me because the 2015-2016 season was NBCSN's most-watched season of those not shortened by lockout. Numbers have declined in the two seasons since, including this eight-year NBCSN cable low.

The IndyCar figure is borderline depressing. There is no good way to spin that one.

I almost wonder if they should've taken what ESPN/ABC were offering prior to NBC/NBCSN stepping up their offer. But, I'm not in the negotiating room. It's possible ESPN wasn't willing to pay a rights fee and that is why they ultimately declined to match NBC. They were reportedly offering 10 races, a couple more than NBC's 8. ESPN/2 are also much bigger brands and more well-known than NBCSN, and I think that is why you saw F1 at Bahrain post a six-year F1 cable high this past weekend. I also think that F1 and IndyCar being on the same family of networks lent itself to cross-promotion in a beneficial way. The IndyCar races during NASCAR's NBC portion of the schedule are typically their best in TV figures, at least when the races don't overlap and IndyCar gets moved to CNBC.

The IndyCar figure is borderline depressing. There is no good way to spin that one.

I almost wonder if they should've taken what ESPN/ABC were offering prior to NBC/NBCSN stepping up their offer. But, I'm not in the negotiating room. It's possible ESPN wasn't willing to pay a rights fee and that is why they ultimately declined to match NBC. They were reportedly offering 10 races, a couple more than NBC's 8. ESPN/2 are also much bigger brands and more well-known than NBCSN, and I think that is why you saw F1 at Bahrain post a six-year F1 cable high this past weekend. I also think that F1 and IndyCar being on the same family of networks lent itself to cross-promotion in a beneficial way. The IndyCar races during NASCAR's NBC portion of the schedule are typically their best in TV figures, at least when the races don't overlap and IndyCar gets moved to CNBC.

I never saw a promo for IndyCar at Phoenix.

Despite a slight bump on NBC, NHL viewership hit a multi-year low in the regular season
NHL regular season games averaged 417,000 viewers across NBC, NBCSN and NBC’s digital platforms, down 12% from last year (474K). As noted by Sports Business Daily, it was the lowest average since at least 2010-11.
Though viewership declined overall, the NBC broadcast network posted a slight bump for its 12-game schedule. The network averaged 1.29 million viewers (including streaming), up 4% from last year’s record-low 1.29 million (15 telecasts).
That is still the second-lowest NHL average on a broadcast network since at least 2009-10 — and a 17% drop from two seasons ago (1.5M).
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/04/nhl-viewership-nbc-nbcsn-regular-season/

Amazing how few people Indycar pulls anymore. NBA might become the biggest sport in America within a few years, the star power is unreal at the moment

NHL regular season games averaged 417,000 viewers across NBC, NBCSN and NBC’s digital platforms....
Considering all the advantages hockey has as one of the 'big four' mainstream sports, I was shocked to see how small the TV audience actually is. Hockey enjoys regular coverage in every newspaper and news sports report; an established youth development ladder with tons of taxpayer funding in schools/colleges; and the benefit of having 'home teams' that automatically tap into casual fans. And yet those TV viewer numbers resemble a morning Xfinity-series practice or qualifying session. Wow.

I'm not suggesting this is a problem for the NHL, as the numbers undoubtedly beat bowling, roller derby, and other things that maintain a presence on major sports networks. The NHL will remain on TV for the viewing pleasure of their relatively few fans. But for a mainstream sport, the numbers surprised me.

Amazing how few people Indycar pulls anymore. NBA might become the biggest sport in America within a few years, the star power is unreal at the moment

yep it is the simplest game out there that I know of and everybody wants to be tall right :D:p

Back
Top Bottom