Sports TV ratings, etc. Random sports talk

Discussion in 'Sports and Entertainment Center' started by ToyYoda, Nov 7, 2017.

1. LewTheShoe

LewTheShoe Team Owner

Wow, with the playoff boost, hockey viewers might surpass what Nascar gets for Xfinity practice or qualifying, unlike the regular season NHL numbers posted last week. While hockey enjoys all of the advantages that come from being mainstream, it surprises me that the TV audience is pretty small.

All motorsports are niche, not mainstream, and always have been (except for a brief spell when Nascar became a cultural fad similar to the Urban Cowboy craze of the 1980s). I'm good with that... I don't need millions of others to validate what I enjoy. If that makes me "easily entertained" and a "minion of Brian France" as the trolls on here like to say, I'm OK with that too.

But the small numbers for NHL are comforting in one way. When I look forward to Supercross or MotoGP or IndyCar or F1 or other small audience racing... it will be there on TV despite not having millions of viewers. Sure beats the old days of searching the tiny type buried under minor league box scores to see if Mario Andretti had won the F1 world driving championship! As a fan of racing for over 50 years, I'm happy that NHL fans can watch that, and happy I can watch dirt late models or Nascar trucks or Formula E.

gnomesayin and StandOnIt like this.
  2. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Warriors stay atop local television ratings
    https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2018/04/23/Media/NBA-ratings.aspx
    [​IMG]

gnomesayin likes this.
  3. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Penguins find their way back to top of local ratings
    https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2018/04/23/Media/NHL-ratings.aspx
    [​IMG]

4. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

PGA up again this past weekend at San Antonio: http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/04/cavs-pacers-ratings-pga-fa-cup-racing/

5. gnomesayin

gnomesayin Team Owner

This will be interesting to watch.

6. gnomesayin

gnomesayin Team Owner

I see that the Johnsonville Cornhole Championships are on ESPN2 again tonight. I wonder what kind of numbers these pull in, and how it compares to the Weber Pro Lawn Darts Series and the Milwaukee's Best Full Contact Extreme Croquet League.

LewTheShoe likes this.
  7. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

You left out the part that our baseball team sucks mud. That and we're having a tough time seeing the north side of 40 degrees this time of year for some GD reason. Bad team and bad weather along with a successful hockey franchise will only bring out the deadest of diehards to PNC Park.

8. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

9. gnomesayin

gnomesayin Team Owner

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/04/cavs-pacers-game-7-nba-ratings-abc/

One thing I'm discovering that I didn't know is that NBA ratings were apparently good in the early 2000s? I watched a lot in that era, but I thought it was considered a down period for the league. Post-Jordan, low-scoring, too rough, etc.

10. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Spared by the Lakers IMO. Then they traded Shaq and sucked for a few years. Those mid-2000s are when it really got rough for the NBA.

11. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

12. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

I'm assuming "Motorcycle Racing" was ME Supercross?

Depending on how the finals shake out, that PBC on FOX might be the lowest-rated and least-watched primetime fight card on broadcast television. Last July a PBC on FOX program got a 0.6/886k. It is also tragically low for primetime broadcast sports in general. Some international soccer matches have gotten in that range before.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...ratings-low-figueroa-guerrero-viewership-fox/

13. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

pretty weird motorcycle racing gets such a low 18-49 rating. Hard for me to believe.

14. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Are those numbers for the 8 o'clock hour 1.84 million, 2.56 million, 2.31 million & .71 million? Obviously there are a lot more than those four networks broadcasting at that time of the night but man, in a country with a population north of 320 million, there sure are a lot of people not watching television..... period. If I were forced to guess, I would have thought a much larger slice of population would be watching television at that given hour. I guess I need to get out more.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  15. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

this is from the article :idunno:

Broadcast primetime live + same-day ratings for Saturday, April 28, 2018

Here is one from Wednesday previous, has the rust belt playoffs listed. It has 25 cable shows

Top 25 original cable shows among adults 18-49 for Wednesday, April 25, 2018

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/wednesday-cable-ratings-april-25-2018/

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  16. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

It just doesn't seem like a lot of people in front of their TV's. That's all. Just surprising to me. I'm not disputing them.

17. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

yeah I know what you mean. But it looks like they had cable and over the air on that table.

18. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Saturday night might be even worse than Friday night for TV. At least until college football rolls around. But I'll still be watching Kansas next Saturday night...maybe I need to get out more too.

19. gnomesayin

gnomesayin Team Owner

Friday and Saturday night are neck-and-neck for the lowest nights of overall TV viewership, sometimes switching back and forth. The order from most viewers to least is:

Sunday
    Monday
    Tuesday
    Wednesday
    Thursday
    Saturday
    Friday

See a pattern?

Supercross has low viewership overall and is very niche, but it is a younger audience. Generally you can expect close to half of the audience to be in the 18-49 bracket, which is high. This is probably why they land any races on Fox network TV, because those overall numbers are tiny.

20. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

21. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Kinda surprising to me...Golf Channel beats out the likes of MLB Network, NBA TV, NFL Network to take the #1 single-sports network for the third straight month.

gnomesayin likes this.
  22. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

23. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

24. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

Why I think they need to start the playoffs from opening day. That gimmick is working for stick n ball.

25. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

26. LewTheShoe

LewTheShoe Team Owner

This deal seems to be for 10 events on ESPN cable plus 20 events on ESPN's new streaming service. I wonder if ESPN can do more with UFC than FS1 did?? I guess Fox is putting their eggs in the WWE basket instead.

Regardless of which network, ratings of both UFC and WWE will be the same in my home (zero) as no one here has an appetite for these programs. UFC was sold in 2016 for $4 billion to William Morris Endeavor, whatever that is. I note that WME also owns the Miss Universe pageant, which makes me wonder if synergies between UFC and Miss Universe might be, uh, ripe for the picking? :oops:

ESPN to broadcast 30 UFC events per year during 5-year deal

ESPN and the UFC have agreed to a new five-year deal that will bring the mixed-martial arts league's entire rights package from Fox Sports to ESPN, according to ESPN and multiple reports.

This new agreement, expected to be announced later Wednesday morning, follows a deal announced earlier this month between ESPN and UFC. The entire package will cost $1.5 billion over five years.
    ( Link )

FLRacingFan likes this.
  27. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

28. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Sounds too expensive to me but I don’t know sh!t about UFC. Anyone know what they were getting before from FOX?

29. gnomesayin

gnomesayin Team Owner

Roughly $100 million annually, but that was signed an age ago in terms of that sport's status. Still, I tend to agree that ESPN overpaid, and that Fox was quite business savvy this time to jump in with WWE instead. I also know next to nothing about UFC, but even just as a general sports fan, doesn't it feel like UFC / MMA has already peaked and there isn't the wild growth potential that perhaps seemed possible 2-3 years ago?

I guess it all depends on whether UFC content is something that drives significant subscriber growth for ESPN+. That streaming service is clearly a huge priority for ESPN and is viewed as the future of the company, and big time sports leagues willing to be placed there currently are few and far between.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  30. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

31. gnomesayin

gnomesayin Team Owner

Ratings for Game 1 down marginally from last year and 2016. There likely is some fatigue, combined with a feeling that the Warriors winning is inevitable. Still higher numbers than the matchups that preceded the Cavs / Warriors era.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  32. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

Ol stick n ball poster boy Karp. If he was writing his weekly Nascar rant, he would have declining percentages and the lowest in three years and anything else he could dig up. .

33. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

34. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

35. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

36. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

37. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

38. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner