Suspension Lifted for Kurt Busch - Chase Waiver Granted

NASCAR announced today that, effectively immediately, the indefinite suspension of Kurt Busch has been lifted. He is eligible to return to NASCAR racing under indefinite probation subject to additional mandatory requirements that include but are not limited to participation in a treatment program and full compliance with any judicial requirements placed upon him.

On Feb. 20, Kurt Busch, driver of the No. 41 car, was found to be in violation of:
• Section 12.1.a: Actions detrimental to stock car racing
• Section 12.8: Behavioral Penalty
The decision to lift the suspension was made by NASCAR after Kurt Busch:
Complied with all requirements in its reinstatement program;
Completed the mandatory behavioral assessment sessions; and
The behavioral health care expert who conducted the sessions recommended to NASCAR that Kurt Busch be allowed to return to competition.
Kurt Busch now will undergo additional steps to address the behavior for which he was penalized.
The requirement that a driver must compete in all Championship Events of the current season to be eligible for The Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup has been waived for the period of Kurt Busch's suspension. Assuming he returns to NASCAR Sprint Cup competition, Kurt Busch would have zero Championship points to date after missing the Daytona 500 and the two most recent NASCAR Sprint Cup races at Atlanta Motor Speedway and Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
"As we stated last week, the elimination of the possibility of criminal charges removed a significant impediment to Kurt Busch's return to full status as a NASCAR member," said Steve O'Donnell, NASCAR Executive Vice President and Chief Racing Development Officer. "We therefore have decided to move him to indefinite probation and waive the Chase requirement. He has fully complied with our reinstatement program during his suspension and the health care expert who conducted his evaluation recommended his immediate return.
"We have made it very clear to Kurt Busch our expectations for him moving forward, which includes participation in a treatment program and full compliance with all judicial requirements as a result of his off-track behavior."

As for the actual decision...I'm not a fan of Kurt being reinstated, but I LOATHE the decision to make him Chase eligible. He missed three races, he shouldn't be eligible. Period.

Glad it is this weekend instead of next, I bet Kurt is too.

I wanted to see Regan in the car more, small sample size but it really looked like he was the #2 driver on the team. I hope he can find another decent Cup ride someday.
I think Regan has the opportunity..again to show what he can do in the xfinity series. He has the car for it, it is up to him to go out and get it.

Surprised by the quick reinstatement...........but, oh well...........let's see how things go from here

I assumed this was just a matter of time since they never charged him with anything. Not a fan of his by any means but it will be a little more exciting with him on the track.

As for the actual decision...I'm not a fan of Kurt being reinstated, but I LOATHE the decision to make him Chase eligible. He missed three races, he shouldn't be eligible. Period.
At this point he pretty much has to win a race to get in, he's lost too many points to the top sixteen already. It will be an awfully difficult task for that bunch.

B_1Ir54WYAA_F5Z.jpg:large

That's because NASCAR was left with egg on their face.
I guess many of you will look at it that way. Personally I don't think NASCAR had a choice but to suspend him initially after the original findings were announced. Letting him race would have been PR suicide like we've witnessed in other major sports. NASCAR made the right decision then and they have now made the right decision again after the most recent findings were announced. JMO

@dustinlong

#NASCAR … @StewartHaasRcng confirms that Kurt Busch will be in the 41 starting this weekend at @PhoenixRaceway

@bobpockrass

Chevrolet has not commented but SHR has always indicated Kurt doesn't need to have a personal services agreement with Chevy to drive 41.

@MartySmithESPN

Kurt Busch WILL DRIVE the No. 41 at Phoenix, SHR confirms.

Now let's see what Chevy has to say.

Exactly. Doesn't matter if the Nascar suspension is lifted. Until Chevy chooses to let him back he has no ride to go back to at this point. Interesting that one of the conditions for reinstatement is Kurt's continued participation in a treatment program.

*edit: Posted at same time as the one above. Looks like he's back.

NASCAR announced today that, effectively immediately, the indefinite suspension of Kurt Busch has been lifted. He is eligible to return to NASCAR racing under indefinite probation subject to additional mandatory requirements that include but are not limited to participation in a treatment program and full compliance with any judicial requirements placed upon him.

On Feb. 20, Kurt Busch, driver of the No. 41 car, was found to be in violation of:
• Section 12.1.a: Actions detrimental to stock car racing
• Section 12.8: Behavioral Penalty
The decision to lift the suspension was made by NASCAR after Kurt Busch:
Complied with all requirements in its reinstatement program;
Completed the mandatory behavioral assessment sessions; and
The behavioral health care expert who conducted the sessions recommended to NASCAR that Kurt Busch be allowed to return to competition.
Kurt Busch now will undergo additional steps to address the behavior for which he was penalized.
The requirement that a driver must compete in all Championship Events of the current season to be eligible for The Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup has been waived for the period of Kurt Busch's suspension. Assuming he returns to NASCAR Sprint Cup competition, Kurt Busch would have zero Championship points to date after missing the Daytona 500 and the two most recent NASCAR Sprint Cup races at Atlanta Motor Speedway and Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
"As we stated last week, the elimination of the possibility of criminal charges removed a significant impediment to Kurt Busch's return to full status as a NASCAR member," said Steve O'Donnell, NASCAR Executive Vice President and Chief Racing Development Officer. "We therefore have decided to move him to indefinite probation and waive the Chase requirement. He has fully complied with our reinstatement program during his suspension and the health care expert who conducted his evaluation recommended his immediate return.
"We have made it very clear to Kurt Busch our expectations for him moving forward, which includes participation in a treatment program and full compliance with all judicial requirements as a result of his off-track behavior."

Apparently he was guilty in Nascar's eyes. Sad time we live in.

Does anyone else think nascar finally realized they over reacted and stepped on their winky and this is their only way to try and save face?
Now I am not a Kurt fan but it'd be a real kick to see him win the championship.

That's because NASCAR was left with egg on their face.

Apparently he was guilty in Nascar's eyes. Sad time we live in.

Got that right. as small a community as Nascar is you would think they would have contacted some of the people who were closer to the situation. Andretti even commented on social media about their relationship. Comparing it to the numerous walking convicted felons in stick n ball is ridiculous.

I guess many of you will look at it that way. Personally I don't think NASCAR had a choice but to suspend him initially after the original findings were announced. Letting him race would have been PR suicide like we've witnessed in other major sports. NASCAR made the right decision then and they have now made the right decision again after the most recent findings were announced. JMO

I disagree. Nascar wanted to stay silent on the whole deal, but they couldn't once he was hit with the restraining order. So they were forced to make a statement, and that statement was to suspend him. They should have made a statement instead saying that since Kurt hadn't been officially charged with anything yet they were going to wait until the court has decided. They jumped the gun, and very badly in my honest opinion.

Not really sure that I feel all that good about the waiver though.
This. ^^^^
I agree, except for the waiver.

If he's chase eligable, he still has to finish top 30 in points right? I mean that is very doable but at least its not quite win and your in.

nascar was worried about a ray rice situation. The problem for nascar that would create is you have sponsors that would consider pulling the plug. It was simply too much to risk if you are nascar. Now nascar can say look this deal was looked over by the powers that be legally and nothing came of it. nascar can now say we have done our due diligence. If I was nascar and SHR I would sit kurt down and say dude if anyone has used up their strikes its you, in fact your lucky that your owner is bank rolling your team or you would be back to running late models on short tracks. there better not be another incident both on or off the track, you better turn into choir boy from here on out.

kurt won alot of good will over his indy 500 coke 600 double. I think natually people want to root for a guy that recovers from something.

@jeff_gluck Chevrolet announces it has also lifted its suspension of Kurt Busch and will continue to monitor the situation.

I disagree. Nascar wanted to stay silent on the whole deal, but they couldn't once he was hit with the restraining order. So they were forced to make a statement, and that statement was to suspend him. They should have made a statement instead saying that since Kurt hadn't been officially charged with anything yet they were going to wait until the court has decided. They jumped the gun, and very badly in my honest opinion.

Hell they suspended him before the order was even granted: NASCAR said on Friday that it will suspend driver Kurt Busch indefinitely amid domestic violence accusations from his ex-girlfriend Patricia Driscoll.

JIM CAMPBELL, Chevrolet vice president of Performance Vehicles and Motorsports

“Now that Kurt Busch has been reinstated by NASCAR and is able to fulfill his obligations associated with our agreement, we have lifted our suspension and will continue to monitor the situation.”

Hell they suspended him before the order was even granted: NASCAR said on Friday that it will suspend driver Kurt Busch indefinitely amid domestic violence accusations from his ex-girlfriend Patricia Driscoll.
Post a link to that statement. I'd like to read it.

OK, enough of the legalities.

Who's putting Kurt on their fantasy team this week ?

A bit of a shame about the timing. He could have used the tire test today at Charlotte to knock the rust off and get some seat time. Still, it's better than another weekend at home.

Back
Top Bottom