Talladega - GEICO 500 - Pre Race Thread

Let's get this Talladega race started! :cool:
h0F8C9210

As the week goes on I'm getting a bad feeling about the 24s chances.

He seems to always get caught up in the big one here at Talladega recently. I'm pretty sure if he finishes the race Gordon will advance, but that's the issue.

As the week goes on I'm getting a bad feeling about the 24s chances.

He seems to always get caught up in the big one here at Talladega recently. I'm pretty sure if he finishes the race Gordon will advance, but that's the issue.
— Gordon (18 points ahead of ninth) clinches a spot with a finish of 16th or better, 17th with leading a lap and 18th if leading the most laps

— Gordon (18 points ahead of ninth) clinches a spot with a finish of 16th or better, 17th with leading a lap and 18th if leading the most laps

Yeah, I've checked the scenarios out. I'm just worried about getting wrecked early and having no say.

That's why I'd prefer to see the 24 way off the back for 95% of the race or at least until two other top 12 guys have wrecks.

If Kasey can stay away from the ****** Gibbs cars that seem to wreck him every plate race I'll be happy.

This weeks television schedule.....

Wednesday, October 15
7 a.m., NASCAR America (re-air), NBC Sports Network
7:30 a.m., NASCAR America (re-air), NBC Sports Network
8 a.m., NASCAR America (re-air), NBC Sports Network
8:30 a.m., NASCAR America (re-air), NBC Sports Network
11 a.m., Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge Race at Road Atlanta (re-air), FOX Sports 1
5 p.m., NASCAR America, NBC Sports Network
5 p.m., NASCAR Race Hub, FOX Sports 1

Thursday, October 16
5 p.m., NASCAR America, NBC Sports Network
5 p.m., NASCAR Race Hub, FOX Sports 1

Friday, October 17
1 p.m., The 10 Talladega Moments (re-air), FOX Sports 1
1:30 p.m., NASCAR K&N Pro Series Race at All American (tape), FOX Sports 1
2:30 p.m., NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Practice, FOX Sports 1
3:30 p.m., NASCAR Live, FOX Sports 1
4:30 p.m., NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Final Practice, FOX Sports 1
5:30 p.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Keystone Light Pole Qualifying, FOX Sports 1
7 p.m., NASCAR Race Hub Special, FOX Sports 1
8:30 p.m., The 10 Talladega Moments (re-air), FOX Sports 2
10 p.m., NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Final Practice (re-air), FOX Sports 2

Saturday, October 18
4:30 a.m., The 10 Talladega Moments (re-air), FOX Sports 1
5 a.m., NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Final Practice (re-air), FOX Sports 1
10 a.m., NASCAR K&N Pro Series Race at All American (re-air), FOX Sports 1
11 a.m., NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Final Practice (re-air), FOX Sports 1
12:30 p.m., NASCAR Camping World Truck Series SetUp, FOX
1 p.m. NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Race at Talladega, FOX
4:30 p.m., NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, ESPNEWS

Sunday, October 19
Noon, NASCAR RaceDay, FOX Sports 1
1 p.m., NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Countdown, ESPN
2 p.m., NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Race at Talladega, ESPN
2 p.m., NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Race at Talladega (simulcast), ESPN Deportes
12:30 a.m. (Mon.), NASCAR Victory Lane, FOX Sports 1
1 a.m., NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Race at Talladega (re-air), ESPN2

Never thought I would see Jimmie Johnson 30/1 to win the Championship! ;)

Chassis selections by the Chase competitors.....

#2-Brad Keselowski: Primary Chassis: PRS-657. Last Raced: Daytona 1 (finished 3rd). Backup Chassis: PRS-649. Last Raced: Daytona 2 backup.

#4-Kevin Harvick: The #4 Budweiser team will utilize chassis No. 833 in Sunday's race. Harvick raced this car at Talladega in May and earned a seventh-place finish.

#5-Kasey Kahne: chassis not reported on race preview.

#11-Denny Hamlin: chassis not reported on race preview.

#18-Kyle Busch: chassis not reported on race preview.

#20-Matt Kenseth: chassis not reported on race preview

#22-Joey Logano: Primary Chassis: PRS-658. Last Raced: Daytona 1 (finished 11th). Backup Chassis: PRS-654. Last Raced: Daytona 2 backup

#24-Jeff Gordon: #24 crew chief Alan Gustafson has selected Hendrick Motorsports Chassis No. 24-887 for this Sunday's race. This chassis has been raced once with Gordon piloting it to a 12th-place finish at Daytona International Speedway in July.

#31-Ryan Newman: will drive chassis No. 446 on Sunday at Talladega Superspeedway. Chassis No. 446 was utilized in the Daytona 500 on February 23 at Daytona International Speedway where the No. 31 team finished 22nd after being involved in two multi-car accidents.

#48-Jimmie Johnson: Crew chief Chad Knaus has selected Hendrick Motorsports Chassis No. 48-871 for this weekend's event in Talladega. This was last raced at Daytona in July where Johnson finished 42nd due to an early-race crash. The backup car is Chassis No. 48-853, which was the fifth-place finishing Daytona 500 car.

#88-Dale Earnhardt Jr.: This weekend at Talladega, crew chief Steve Letarte and the No. 88 team will unload Hendrick Motorsports Chassis No. 88-872. That chassis made its debut at Talladega in May and was most recently raced at Daytona International Speedway in July.

#99-Carl Edwards: Primary chassis RK-913 was last run in 2014 at Daytona, starting in the 11th spot and finishing 37thafter being involved in an early wreck. Backup chassis RK-925. Hasn't been used in 2014.

dega speculation :

31 & 99 prolly wanna go ta back on lap 1..... avoid big one .......does 18 & 24 go w/ 'em ?

48 / 88 / 2 / 5 / 20 prolly wanna go ta front on 1st few laps....... 11 join them ....or go back w/ 31 / 99 ?

what does 22 & 4 do ?

I expect my TRD powered JGR boys to run up front. The 18 feels that that is the safest place, the 20 runs up there without trying, and the 11 has been stung before by getting too cute. No way in hell the 88 plays the same game as last 'Dega. The middle will be hell. Front and back okay, front safest.

Flashback as a reminder.....

NASCAR revises qualifying format at Talladega

National series qualifying at Talladega will now consist of the following:

• Three rounds with the first round divided into two groups amongst the competitors. The first qualifying round is five minutes in length for each group.
• Competitors will be assigned to a first qualifying round group based on the random draw held earlier in the event.
• The 24 eligible competitors that post the fastest single lap speed from either of the first qualifying round groups will advance to the second round. The remaining competitors will be sorted based on their speed posted in the first round of qualifying in descending order.
• There will be a 10-minute break after the completion of the first qualifying round and the 24 remaining competitors that advance to the second round will have their times reset.
• The second qualifying round is five minutes in length and the 12 eligible competitors that post the fastest single lap speed will advance to the third and final round.
• The fastest remaining competitors will earn positions 13-24 based on their fastest single lap speed posted in qualifying in descending order.
• Following a five minute break, the 12 eligible competitors that advance to the final round will have their posted speeds reset.
• The final qualifying round is five minutes in length and the fastest single lap speed will determine positions 1-12 in descending order.

from here

Richard Petty driving a Ford Talladega, a special model made by Ford to compete in Nascar. The grill was made flush for Aero and the hood and front fenders were lengthened 5" so the front cross section could be sloped down. The rear bumper is used on the front. Mopar in response to that built their winged cars afterwards.

PettyCharlottePit.jpg

Hoping for a surprise winner or Kyle Busch but I like Denny this Sunday. The 11 has been bad fast on the plate tracks this season

Who's up for some yellow line controversy? Haven't had any of that for a while.

Talladega Speedway. Final lap of the second green/white/checker coming out of turn #4. Keselowski out front. Johnson gets a run on the outside. Keselowski moves up to block but it is too late, Johnson is alongside him. Jr, in 3rd dives underneath Keselowski challenging for the lead. Jr's left tires creep just below the yellow line. Through the tri-oval Jr. inches out in front and crosses the finish line just before heading into turn #1.

Who wins?

Who should win?

Does NASCAR state after declaring Jr. the winner that they forgot to mention in the Drivers Meeting that the Yellow Line Rule has been abolished?

If Jr. lost who would like to go to Talladega with me and collect the empty beer cans off of the front straightaway to turn in for scrap? I'd split it with you 50/50. :D

Who's up for some yellow line controversy? Haven't had any of that for a while.

Talladega Speedway. Final lap of the second green/white/checker coming out of turn #4. Keselowski out front. Johnson gets a run on the outside. Keselowski moves up to block but it is too late, Johnson is alongside him. Jr, in 3rd dives underneath Keselowski challenging for the lead. Jr's left tires creep just below the yellow line. Through the tri-oval Jr. inches out in front and crosses the finish line just before heading into turn #1.

Who wins?

Who should win?

Does NASCAR state after declaring Jr. the winner that they forgot to mention in the Drivers Meeting that the Yellow Line Rule has been abolished?

If Jr. lost who would like to go to Talladega with me and collect the empty beer cans off of the front straightaway to turn in for scrap? I'd split it with you 50/50. :D
I guess it would depend on whether or not he was forced down and whether or not he was alongside the leader before dipping below the line.

I still remember the time Regan Smith won this race and didn't get credited with it.

I guess it would depend on whether or not he was forced down and whether or not he was alongside the leader before dipping below the line.

I still remember the time Regan Smith won this race and didn't get credited with it.

something about being under the line. and then the no he wasn't yes he was bull speak. Regan Smith didn't win.

something about being under the line. and then the no he wasn't yes he was bull speak. Regan Smith didn't win.
but he did cross the finish first, he's just not the official winner in nascar eyes. but I know who won that race in my eyes.

but he did cross the finish first, he's just not the official winner in nascar eyes. but I know who won that race in my eyes.
It would have been a huge career booster for Smith like it was for Bayne when he won at Daytona. Only problem is both of them haven't done much afterwards either way. I am not looking forward to Bayne at Roush next year, he might prove me wrong and I hope he does, but so far it doesn't look good.

It would have been a huge career booster for Smith like it was for Bayne when he won at Daytona. Only problem is both of them haven't done much afterwards either way. I am not looking forward to Bayne at Roush next year, he might prove me wrong and I hope he does, but so far it doesn't look good.
that was his shot and nascar took it away from him. more then likely he will never do that again.

What happens if Patrick passes #88 on the last lap for the win and keeps him from advancing in the Chase?

Back
Top Bottom