The Announcers Thread

Carl was great today. Kurt, Carl and even Tony show what a buffoon Clint has become. Now whether that’s his fault or Fox’s having him play up a character that they think we want to see is debatable, but imo he hasn’t been good this year

Carl was great today. Kurt, Carl and even Tony show what a buffoon Clint has become. Now whether that’s his fault or Fox’s having him play up a character that they think we want to see is debatable, but imo he hasn’t been good this year
It’s what Fox wants.

Clint Bowyer is capable of giving great analysis.

I was at Fremont Speedway two weeks ago and stopped in at their museum and read this article that was hanging on the wall. The museum is only open on race days and is free. They have about 8 cars on display with lots of pictures, articles, and racing memorabilia. There is a lot of history to display as this track has been around for more than 70 years. It's definitely worth a visit.

The Fox booth should be Joy, Harvick, and McReynolds. Larry Mac brings so much to the table when it comes to knowledge of the cars, strategy, and more.

I was on vacation and the only successful recording I captured for the 600 was the edited rebroadcast. Now, I expect to have large chunks edited out to fit in the 3-hour window. I can even understand the sponsored 'Ones to Watch' and 'Cutaway Car' segments being included in the shortened show.

At least five times they went to commercial under green, and came back to a restart with little or no explanation or replay of why the yellow had been put out. No video of the lap 80 incident with Johnson and Ty Dillon. No video of the Hamlin / Elliott incident, just interviews. Apparently there was a rain delay in stage 2, but you wouldn't know it other than a comment that "The sun's back out". No video of the incident late in stage 3 (Gilliland spin?). There was no coverage of whatever triggered the restart with 39 to go, and no explanation. I will give them credit for showing the last 35 laps relatively intact.

But apparently it was important this reduced broadcast included booth time with some movie star, and reminiscing about Tony running the double. No wonder Fox misses so much in a live broadcast; they can't even get the editing right when they have the luxury of time.

I was on vacation and the only successful recording I captured for the 600 was the edited rebroadcast. Now, I expect to have large chunks edited out to fit in the 3-hour window. I can even understand the sponsored 'Ones to Watch' and 'Cutaway Car' segments being included in the shortened show.

At least five times they went to commercial under green, and came back to a restart with little or no explanation or replay of why the yellow had been put out. No video of the lap 80 incident with Johnson and Ty Dillon. No video of the Hamlin / Elliott incident, just interviews. Apparently there was a rain delay in stage 2, but you wouldn't know it other than a comment that "The sun's back out". No video of the incident late in stage 3 (Gilliland spin?). There was no coverage of whatever triggered the restart with 39 to go, and no explanation. I will give them credit for showing the last 35 laps relatively intact.

But apparently it was important this reduced broadcast included booth time with some movie star, and reminiscing about Tony running the double. No wonder Fox misses so much in a live broadcast; they can't even get the editing right when they have the luxury of time.
Just watch it on YouTube.

It’s no secret that NASCAR needs to attract a younger viewing audience to replace the older NASCAR fans as we die off. I think it is time for FOX to think outside of the box and go in a different direction, and maybe even one that Andy could possibly enjoy their broadcast and that could possibly take NASCAR to the next level in auto racing. It has been staring us in the face for sometime now with the cartoon character driver images and that funny little rodent that used to pop up from time to time. If they could somehow lure the legendary Mickey Mouse away from Disney then they could build a dream team of announcers like never seen before and just think of the younger generation that would follow him to our great sport of NASCAR racing. The Mickey, Mikey, and Clint dream team could be the much needed solution to all of FOX and NASCARS announcing problems. 😃😎

Mickey would only be able to be part of the broadcast team if it was ESPN doing the broadcast.

Harvick has already been named for next year. The only change they could make at this point is dropping Bowyer. Fox seems to be happy with him.

I still can't stand NBC for the simple fact that next week and every damn week after they'll manage to say "playoffs" more in a single race than FOX does the whole season. I understand it's more important as we approach the cut-off race, but for the next 2 months they're going to be hyping it up like THIS RACE is the one that CHANGES EVERYTHING when in the grand scheme we're in the middle of the season still.

I still can't stand NBC for the simple fact that next week and every damn week after they'll manage to say "playoffs" more in a single race than FOX does the whole season. I understand it's more important as we approach the cut-off race, but for the next 2 months they're going to be hyping it up like THIS RACE is the one that CHANGES EVERYTHING when in the grand scheme we're in the middle of the season still.
Don't forget the playoff charts and endless graphs that will make up the bulk of their pre and post race shows.

I'll be honest, I get tired of the constant joking and jestering from the commentators. Either NASCAR or the TV executives think we want the commentators acting like our friends watching the race with us.

They need to watch the commentators on FloRacing, DirtVision, or any F1 race broadcast to learn how to do it properly.

You can have passionate and colorful commentary without turning the whole thing into a joke.

Also the pre & post race shows need less gimmicks and sketches and more of a grounded look at the upcoming race or a grounded follow up post race.

Let's really dig into the sport of stock car racing and get into the meat and potatoes.

We really don't need people attempting and failing at comedy to have a good race broadcast.

I'll be honest, I get tired of the constant joking and jestering from the commentators. Either NASCAR or the TV executives think we want the commentators acting like our friends watching the race with us.

They need to watch the commentators on FloRacing, DirtVision, or any F1 race broadcast to learn how to do it properly.

You can have passionate and colorful commentary without turning the whole thing into a joke.

Also the pre & post race shows need less gimmicks and sketches and more of a grounded look at the upcoming race or a grounded follow up post race.

Let's really dig into the sport of stock car racing and get into the meat and potatoes.

We really don't need people attempting and failing at comedy to have a good race broadcast.

I would take the Fox and NBC booths over the overwhelming majority of PxP booths on streaming media.

Eh, different strokes for different folks I guess.

There's no depth to these broadcasts.

The CARS Tour broadcasts are fine, mainly because they have Jacklyn (who works her ass off) or James in the pits to compliment the booth and add depth, plus Matt Weaver's usually at those races tweeting out scanner audio - which Eric and Blake relay to viewers.

Many of these other races I watch, no depth. ESPECIALLY when they're just plugging the track PA feed into the broadcast and the announcer's having to act as a hype man and a TV commentator at the same time - which is literally an impossible balance.

There's no depth to these broadcasts.

The CARS Tour broadcasts are fine, mainly because they have Jacklyn (who works her ass off) or James in the pits to compliment the booth and add depth, plus Matt Weaver's usually at those races tweeting out scanner audio - which Eric and Blake relay to viewers.

Many of these other races I watch, no depth. ESPECIALLY when they're just plugging the track PA feed into the broadcast and the announcer's having to act as a hype man and a TV commentator at the same time - which is literally an impossible balance.

Johnny Gibson does a great job of commentating and announcing the World of Outlaws races both on DirtVision and in real life.

The biggest thing I will miss from Fox is they had a number of their races in 4K this year. NBC can only do that on Peacock. I haven't heard if they will do that. Probably not since they don't do that for Sunday Night Football.

If you want to see how to produce and how the announcers should call a race, all someone has to do is watch NBC's coverage of IndyCar. F1's commentators and some of their production are very good. But they suffer from the same thing Fox does - too many extreme close ups.

The biggest thing I will miss from Fox is they had a number of their races in 4K this year. NBC can only do that on Peacock. I haven't heard if they will do that. Probably not since they don't do that for Sunday Night Football.
NBC races are broadcast in 1080 though, while Fox was 720 (or in some cases, 480 upscaled).

IMG_0739.png

My excitement for NBC is showing lol

Back
Top Bottom