The Announcers Thread

If NBC booted Rick Allen and hired Bestwick, and canned Jeff Burton, their coverage would be absolutely perfect. They’re extremely informative and cover the race without zooming in almost on the driver’s eyes every lap.

I absolutely cannot stand Rick Allen. Jeff Burton’s voice gives me a headache and he sounds completely different than he ever did in interviews while driving.

NBC Sports does a good job. I hope the next TV contract has more network TV races, not less.
Honestly, I think we’ll start seeing more network and more streaming across the board for sports.

The CW and ION have both joined the sports party. There are even more college sports on NBC, CBS, Fox and ABC now. And a handful of sports are about to become very popular, like WNBA and Lacrosse.

I wish we could get a CBS / Turner Sports partnership for the first 16–20 races and NBC (USA) Sports again for the final 16-20.

I was lamenting Allen Bestwick's unfortunate career turns, not complaining about modern day NBC.

2001-2006 FOX was cutting edge. Modern day FOX treats the fans like they're ****** morons.
I just saw the first half.

Dr. Punch in the booth made sense for ESPN. Remember that he called a good amount of races during their revered 90s coverage, and they rewarded loyalty.

FWIW, I think Bill Weber was better than he got credit for. Not great but not terrible. But anyone who has to step into a job Allen Bestwick had is doomed to fail. Same with whoever replaces Mike Joy at Fox, and I’m an Adam Alexander fan.

I wish we could get a CBS / Turner Sports partnership for the first 16–20 races and NBC (USA) Sports again for the final 16-20.
NBC and ESPN is the best option.

NBC/USA/CNBC takes Fox’s portion, Prime takes the Summer Series, and ESPN/ABC/FX takes the fall package. With NBC and ABC swapping the 500.

Like it or not, ESPN brings greater credibility to the sport.

If NBC booted Rick Allen and hired Bestwick, and canned Jeff Burton, their coverage would be absolutely perfect. They’re extremely informative and cover the race without zooming in almost on the driver’s eyes every lap.

I absolutely cannot stand Rick Allen. Jeff Burton’s voice gives me a headache and he sounds completely different than he ever did in interviews while driving.
Rick Allen is fine.

NBC and ESPN is the best option.

NBC/USA/CNBC takes Fox’s portion, Prime takes the Summer Series, and ESPN/ABC/FX takes the fall package. With NBC and ABC swapping the 500.

Like it or not, ESPN brings greater credibility to the sport.

ESPN has been laying off a lot of respected folks including Jeff Van Gundy. I’m really apalled at some of their moves lately. It depends on who is part of their broadcast team.

Amazon Prime is terrible. I’ll pass on those NFL games.

Rick Allen is fine.

He sometimes goes a bit overboard with catchphrases (ADVERSITY! IMPLICATIONS!) but I generally like him. People who hate him didn't watch him when he was calling the Truck Series. He was pretty damn good at that.

If a third broadcaster comes in and takes the summer slate of races then Allen Bestwick needs to be the first call they make.

He sometimes goes a bit overboard with catchphrases (ADVERSITY! IMPLICATIONS!) but I generally like him. People who hate him didn't watch him when he was calling the Truck Series. He was pretty damn good at that.

If a third broadcaster comes in and takes the summer slate of races then Allen Bestwick needs to be the first call they make.

PRAWBLEMS Wendy, we got a PRAWBLEM.

Rick Allen is fine.
He’s just really repetitive and sometimes when he tries to say something different, he goes on some ramblings that make no sense and gets lost in them. Like he can’t come up with the words he wants to say.

It was a few years back & I was shopping in East Greenwich R.I; turned a corner in the store and there was Allen Bestwick. I said Good Afternoon, he replied the same, and I said, succinctly , "We miss you"...
He smiled , said the future is unpredictable, shook my hand, and we both went on our way...
Come to find out he lives down the road from a ,at the time, coworker... Only in Rhode Island.!

ESPN has been laying off a lot of respected folks including Jeff Van Gundy. I’m really apalled at some of their moves lately. It depends on who is part of their broadcast team.

NBC produces the Amazon Prime games.

Al Michaels has lost several steps though.

He was calling the 27-0 Game and the lack of enthusiasm in a game like that was glaring. That was absolutely thrilling game (especially if you’re a Jags fan) and Al Michaels was bored.

Yet ESPN is still the authority in this department.

NBC produces the Amazon Prime games.

Al Michaels has lost several steps though.

He was calling the 27-0 Game and the lack of enthusiasm in a game like that was glaring. That was absolutely thrilling game (especially if you’re a Jags fan) and Al Michaels was bored.

It’s just not worth the money to watch mid grade Thursday NFL matchups in my eyes unless it’s accessible TV. Hulu & FloRacing is already enough as is. lol

If you were a college hockey fan who relies on ESPN+, you would have a different opinion.

I use ESPN+, it’s the only good thing about ESPN and that’s because it’s part of the Hulu package.

ESPN is just not up to par against TNT/TBS or CBS/CBSSN or NBC Sports in many sports. It’s quanity over quality for ESPN.

I would prefer ESPN+ NASCAR races over Amazon Prime, however.

I watch college hockey more than I do the NHL these days. You can't beat ECAC Hockey.
ECAC and BIG10 is some great hockey. With more and more kids choosing to go the college route rather than major junior leagues its only getting better and I expect the growth to continue. Pipe dream, but it would be so cool to see some of the SEC and Pac10 schools getting D1 programs.

Apologies folks, back to your regularly scheduled announcers posts.

When I think of ESPN, I think of talking heads arguing most of the day, and pre-game shows for games that will air on other networks. But I don't look at them often so I'm probably not getting a complete picture. Other than the Masters, the only time I see the network is if it's on at a restaurant.

When people think "Sports," what channel do they immediately think of?

No matter how many rounds of layoffs they go through, no matter how many times they slash budgets, ESPN is still king.

I think people view TNT and it’s partnerships with CBS/TBS just as much as whatever ESPN is these days.

FOX has been terrible for awhile now. Whomever is the producer right now need to be let go because he or she doesn’t know how to broadcast NASCAR. Clint Bowyer and Mike Joy do not have any chemistry at all. Crazy how much better NBC is compared to FOX right now.

FOX has been terrible for awhile now. Whomever is the producer right now need to be let go because he or she doesn’t know how to broadcast NASCAR. Clint Bowyer and Mike Joy do not have any chemistry at all. Crazy how much better NBC is compared to FOX right now.

Mike Joy is a good announcer for the sport & but maybe they need to find someone new or different for Fox.

We watched the Atlanta race 95% on mute. The screaming gerbals telling me, screaming at us, what I could see with my own eyes gets old really fast. Have mercy did Burton get castrated, he screams like a little girl all the time over simple stuff. That whole bunch SUCKS!

I sure wish there was a way to watch the race and hear the cars without the gerbals when watching a race on TV.

We watched the Atlanta race 95% on mute. The screaming gerbals telling me, screaming at us, what I could see with my own eyes gets old really fast. Have mercy did Burton get castrated, he screams like a little girl all the time over simple stuff. That whole bunch SUCKS!

I sure wish there was a way to watch the race and hear the cars without the gerbals when watching a race on TV.
I get a bit of a vacation with the stream I watch. They shut off the gerbils when NBC shows the full screen and split screen commercials and they just show the cars racing with the motor sounds which is quite a bit of time surprisingly. I keep the sound turned down way low because you never know when one of them will start screaming their ass off. Boomer Rick has turned into the sane one.

Reactions: sdj
I personally don’t see the problem with the announcers, on Fox or NBC. I’m watching for the race and a lot of times I don’t even notice them. They are legit times that they say something and I didn’t even hear it lol because I’ll mention something a little later and my dad will tell me they was talking about that..

Here's the funny thing that you overlook ... I've commented several times in the past about how NBC's booth can be overwhelming at times. Yet I still believe that even when NBC's at its worst, it's lightyears ahead of what Fox is offering.
That's great for you. Personally I think their booth sucks, that's why they are turned way down at my house. I'm not alone in that view,

Also, in case you hadn't noticed, it wasn't just me complaining about Fox's coverage. Numerous people were. And there is a long list of articles on racing websites and videos on YouTube, FROM THIS YEAR ALONE, talking about how bad Fox's coverage has gotten.

You prefer Fox over NBC because of "The Gerbils," which is fine. You're in the minority.

Also, I could mute an NBC broadcast and turn MRN on if I didn't like "The Gerbils" (which I do like Rick Allen, Dale Jr, Jeff Burton and Steve Letarte BTW) and still enjoy it. I can't say the same for Fox because the commentary booth (which is inferior to NBC right now) is the least of their problems.

Dave Moody has the most annoying voice in any type of sport. No idea why people call him the godfather, it's a insult to every turn man in the business.

I spent most of the day cleaning my apartment so I wasn't giving the race my undivided attention, and even then, I found myself being able to follow the race better than any Fox broadcast.

NBC Sports does a damn good job.

Ditch Burton and have Allen bestwick call the race and NBC would be damn near perfect. You don't even have to ditch Burton. I would be fine with him on pit road just keep him out of the booth.

Back
Top Bottom