The Announcers Thread

And as expected, people are bitching about this despite weeks and weeks and weeks of no post race coverage at all.
It's a step in the right direction, and I applaud them for the effort, but it needs to be on the NASCAR Channel. Oh, that's right, I keep forgetting we don't HAVE one of those, because we are not as important as golf, tennis and horse racing.

It's a step in the right direction, and I applaud them for the effort, but it needs to be on the NASCAR Channel. Oh, that's right, I keep forgetting we don't HAVE one of those, because we are not as important as golf, tennis and horse racing.
Replace 'important' with 'not as profitable'.

Somehow I doubt the Tennis Channel is s huge draw. From NASCAR's standpoint, even if it operated at break even or a small loss, the effort would be worth it.

The US open fills the Arthur Ashe stadium (around 30000 seats) in NYC every day for 2 weeks. Put a cup race on in NYC and it wouldn't get a full house on Sunday let alone for two weeks. Tennis is a bigger draw than you think. Many household names in tennis, not many in nascar.

We are Pickleball Channel​

Pickleball Channel is the first professional media organization to cover the sport of pickleball and the only organization that covers the entire sport of pickleball. Launched in March of 2014, we were the first to professionally shoot a pickleball match in a tournament, innovators of the kitchen camera placement in covering a pickleball match, and the pioneer organization for the all the media surrounding pickleball today. Our goal is to cover the sport of pickleball evenly and try to keep up making sure you, our audience, is informed about everything that is available to you! We are excited to see where pickleball is growing and the enthusiasm that is finally making waves in the public eye. We have been waiting a long time and excited to see it is finally here!

The US open fills the Arthur Ashe stadium (around 30000 seats) in NYC every day for 2 weeks. Put a cup race on in NYC and it wouldn't get a full house on Sunday let alone for two weeks. Tennis is a bigger draw than you think. Many household names in tennis, not many in nascar.
Home many people are watching the CHANNEL though? The stuff that DOES get ratings is on the big networks.

Eh two weeks, try from Feb to Nov like the racing season of Nascar. Yet another failed attempt to compare stick and ball to racing,

If there was a market for it, it would exist.

Home many people are watching the CHANNEL though? The stuff that DOES get ratings is on the big networks.

Doesn’t matter. It’s obviously profitable as it’s been on for 20 years and is seeing growth.

NASCAR TV on SPEED was abandoned. Even before SPEED became FS1, most of its content was reality TV programming.

The closest thing to NASCAR TV we’re getting is FloRacing.

Stick and ball sports and even horse racing has enough live programming or enough daily activities to fill the air 24/7 with cheap to produce content. NASCAR races are not cheap to produce.

One reason my races are not broadcast live is because it would take tens of thousands of dollars in equipment and software. Plus the time it would take to put everything together.

Racing is expensive asf to broadcast.

Horse racing has several hours of live racing from multiple venues daily. Those venues are in fixed locations, reducing the logistic effort over a sport that changes locations every week. The audience may be small but the expenses are relative peanuts. There may not even be any rights fees, since it's basically advertising for the tracks and bookies.

Golf and tennis do change locations every week. However, they get multiple days of multiple hours of programming out of each tournament. Golf Channel has at least three series active every week; you can watch live golf from before sunrise to after sunset four days a week. Both golf and tennis fill the days when there's no play with instructional programming; there are far more people wanting to improve their game than attempting to qualify at the local track. Those amateurs are a large market eager to buy the gear the sponsors are selling.

A NASCAR network would be lucky to field twenty hours of live racing every weekend, and that's assuming all three touring series are active with P&Q. Good luck filling the rest of the schedule with content that will attract sponsor dollars.

Eh two weeks, try from Feb to Nov like the racing season of Nascar. Yet another failed attempt to compare stick and ball to racing,

Not sure what your trying to say, but tennis is bigger and more popular than nascar. Wasn't trying to compare them, just saying tennis has a lot more people watching it which is why there is a tennis channel and not a nascar channel.

The market DID exist, but instead of being proactive and personally taking control of the product, they just let their "friends" at Fox do all the heavy lifting, which was fine, as long as it suited Fox's needs. Once Fox figured out they could make even MORE money broadcasting all kinds of sports, they dumped Speed like yesterday's newspaper. Speed held a slot on most providers first tier package, hence it was more valuable to Fox for other programming. That's not to say that Speed WASN'T valuable, or couldn't have been made a lot MORE VALUABLE if somebody other than Fox wasn't programming it, say somebody that had a MAJOR vested interest in seeing motorsports and automotive related subjects prosper. The landscape has changed a LOT over the last twenty years, but, Motortrend, Mav and Flo have proven that a market DOES exist, and that is without any top level racing series being involved at all, and NASCAR could be just PART of it.

The brain trust at NBC...lets put Jr and the other gerbil...

1687632005899.png

NBC in their first race of the season was a million times better than Fox. The wide shots, knowledgeable announcers, and not disappearing right after the winner interview were all great things. Having Burton and Jr call the first 15-20 laps from pit road made no sense though. Couldn’t hear them for half of every lap.

I actually enjoyed the announcers last night. They were professional, they kept the commenting focused on the action on the track, and there wasn't too much cutting up and joking around. I could get used to this.

Okay, who are the people watching golf? Seriously every time I tried to watch it, I end up falling asleep. The announcers do better ASMR than most Twitch streamers.

Golf is popular with the right demographic: upper middle class - rich people with lots of disposable income. Sponsors will pay a lot to reach them.

Man, what a difference between Fox and NBC. Once again, NBC and Letarte have better graphics and better explanations of the changes to the clips of this year's car. I'm not even sure Fox ever showed anything like that, just talked about it a few times.

The difference is night and day.

NBC blows Fox out of the water.

Okay, who are the people watching golf?
Golfers who are willing to spend money on the equipment and services being advertised. Also non-golfers like me.

How many people watch isn't as important to the networks as how much sponsors are willing to spend to reach that audience.
Seriously every time I tried to watch it, I end up falling asleep.
To each his own. Baseball does that to me, and the last quarter of a basketball game moves like frozen molasses.
The announcers do better ASMR than most Twitch streamers.
I had to Google ASMR and am still not sure on the concept. I've never looked at Twitch.

Things I remember noticing during the race.
  • Pit stop timings for multiple cars.
  • No push of the network's social media ('Win Clint's money') or gaming efforts.
  • An absolutely brilliant explanation of the changes to the frames to improve crumpling and energy absorption. Effective graphics combined with descriptions this non-mechanical layman could understand.
  • Scoring pylon updating immediately after a restart, with no delay of one lap or more.

Things I remember noticing during the race.
  • Pit stop timings for multiple cars.
  • No push of the network's social media ('Win Clint's money') or gaming efforts.
  • An absolutely brilliant explanation of the changes to the frames to improve crumpling and energy absorption. Effective graphics combined with descriptions this non-mechanical layman could understand.
  • Scoring pylon updating immediately after a restart, with no delay of one lap or more.

One of the points the video made, NBC Sports isn't afraid of trying new things. But they're also very disciplined about it.

The utilization of the virtual cut-away car is spot on with NBC. Very detailed, very informative, and presented in a way that's meant to be educational, and not just shoehorned in there just to be used.

Mike Joy and Jamie Little are great over at Fox, but those broadcasts are so terrible that no amount of booth talent can save them. Especially when Clint Bowyer's there to drag the commentary down with the hee-haw act.

I would like Mike joy calling the races with letart and Jr doing the commentary. Burton can go home and bowyer can go to put road. Harvick seemed pretty good in the Xfinity races he did so I would give him a shot.

Harvick is going to change the dynamic at Fox next year. Boyer reads the mail, he changed this year, probably will the next. He needs to quit interrupting. On the other hand when it comes to interrupting, the two screeching gerbils take the cake. The production saves the gerbils, alone there is a lot to be desired.

It doesn’t matter if Rick Allen or Jeff Burton are slightly loud, NBC is eons better than Fox. Their presentation feels like an actual race.

I think Mike Joy is one of the best in NASCAR, but they need to find a new PbP at Fox, whether it be Bestwick or Adam Alexander or Rick Allen.

I thought the Dale Jr, Steve Letarte, Jeff Burton booth at Michigan was shockingly good.

Allen Bestwick & Dr. Jerry Punch...

NBC deciding to move Bestwick to pit road and put Weber in the booth still makes no sense to me. Bestwick deserved a distinguished career as a pbp man and I feel like he was robbed in a lot of ways. He should've gotten the ESPN pbp job before either Dr. Punch or Marty Reid. I never liked Dr. Punch in the booth but I loved him on pit road.

It doesn’t matter if Rick Allen or Jeff Burton are slightly loud, NBC is eons better than Fox. Their presentation feels like an actual race.

I think Mike Joy is one of the best in NASCAR, but they need to find a new PbP at Fox, whether it be Bestwick or Adam Alexander or Rick Allen.

I thought the Dale Jr, Steve Letarte, Jeff Burton booth at Michigan was shockingly good.
Honestly, Rick Allen is at his best this year.

NBC’s booth can be a bit overwhelming at times but I love the energy. Reminds me of TNT in 2009. NBC makes a bad race watchable, a mediocre race enjoyable, and a good race even more memorable.

Honestly, Rick Allen is at his best this year.

NBC’s booth can be a bit overwhelming at times but I love the energy. Reminds me of TNT in 2009. NBC makes a bad race watchable, a mediocre race enjoyable, and a good race even more memorable.

NBC Sports does a good job. I hope the next TV contract has more network TV races, not less.

NBC deciding to move Bestwick to pit road and put Weber in the booth still makes no sense to me. Bestwick deserved a distinguished career as a pbp man and I feel like he was robbed in a lot of ways. He should've gotten the ESPN pbp job before either Dr. Punch or Marty Reid. I never liked Dr. Punch in the booth but I loved him on pit road.
Can’t compare 2001-2006 to now.

For one, those races were actually all produced by Turner. And NBC Sports is also a much better company. At the time, Fox Sports was also king, and now they’re **** across the board.

There’s a reason most of the NBC guys went to TNT in 2007.

Can’t compare 2001-2006 to now.

For one, those races were actually all produced by Turner. And NBC Sports is also a much better company. At the time, Fox Sports was also king, and now they’re **** across the board.

There’s a reason most of the NBC guys went to TNT in 2007.

I was lamenting Allen Bestwick's unfortunate career turns, not complaining about modern day NBC.

2001-2006 FOX was cutting edge. Modern day FOX treats the fans like they're ****** morons.

Back
Top Bottom