The Announcers Thread

Rick Allen would have to climb up on his mothers shoulders just to be able to kiss Leah Diffeys ass.
Leigh Diffey does all the things people complain about doing Rick Allen does times 10. They yelled that entire broadcast worse than anything the Cup booth has ever done.

I thought his call of the last lap was phenomenal
It was, and Rick Allen repeats himself a lot more than Leigh Diffey, and loses track of what he’s saying multiple times a race. He’s far from the worst of the NBC booth though. Burton and Letarte compete to see who can get to the highest octave.

Exactly, sincere enthusiasm. Not fake excitement like (loves to hear himself talk) Rick Allen.
I've always thought the BIGGEST problem with both Fox and NBC coverage is much more of a production truck issue than an on air issue. I think the direction they get makes the booth look a lot worse than ANY of them actually are, Clint being the possible exception. He's just not very good. Also noticed that the driver F1 cartoons are even more stupid looking than the NASCAR ones. As anal as F1 is about EVERYTHING, I can't believe they let that go.

I've always thought the BIGGEST problem with both Fox and NBC coverage is much more of a production truck issue than an on air issue. I think the direction they get makes the booth look a lot worse than ANY of them actually are, Clint being the possible exception. He's just not very good. Also noticed that the driver F1 cartoons are even more stupid looking than the NASCAR ones. As anal as F1 is about EVERYTHING, I can't believe they let that go.

Funny, I think the commentary booth is the only flaw for NBC. Everything else about NBC/USA coverage is absolute perfection.

Sunday's coverage was downright poor. Bowyer and Harvick hype up the big pace lap explosion and Fox didn't show it live. Get to the end of the race and there's a battle for the lead between Bell and Blaney. They suddenly cut to two kids sitting in the stands and basically miss the pass. Mike Joy comments on a Gibbs crew member getting knocked over the hood of the car and they missed that one too.

Sunday's coverage was downright poor. Bowyer and Harvick hype up the big pace lap explosion and Fox didn't show it live. Get to the end of the race and there's a battle for the lead between Bell and Blaney. They suddenly cut to two kids sitting in the stands and basically miss the pass. Mike Joy comments on a Gibbs crew member getting knocked over the hood of the car and they missed that one too.
There was no pass between Bell or Blaney. The two kids had Bell and Blaney shirts on sitting right next to each other and they were having a ball watching the race. I love the crowd shots.
I'm pretty sure if there was a pass, we would have been shown it.
I posted the clip from the pit with Gibbs hitting his cousin. If that is all you can find. Try harder.

What SOI looks like constantly defending Fox:

2smn2i.jpg

It hasn't been just this past Sunday. Watching a Nascar Cup race on Fox the past few years is basically like listening to the race on the radio. Mike Joy often mentions stuff that you never see happen on the screen.

It hasn't been just this past Sunday. Watching a Nascar Cup race on Fox the past few years is basically like listening to the race on the radio. Mike Joy often mentions stuff that you never see happen on the screen.
On at least four occasions, someone in the booth would mention something happening on the track that we either never saw, finally cut to after several seconds, or saw only in replay well afterward.

This show wasn't my cup of tea (NASCAR America was much better) but I'm sad to see it go.

Really hoping TNT Sports steps up to fill the void next year, especially with their flagship Inside the NBA program coming to an end.

This show wasn't my cup of tea (NASCAR America was much better) but I'm sad to see it go.

Really hoping TNT Sports steps up to fill the void next year, especially with their flagship Inside the NBA program coming to an end.

Inside NASCAR with Charles Barkley, Shaq, Ernie, Kenny and Dale Jr.

In all seriousness, I think TNT Sports and Amazon bring more to the table for NASCAR than Fox and NBC, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they do.
In my opinion, ALL of this should be spelled out and stipulated in the TV contracts. You want to carry NASCAR races? OK, but you have to carry a daily NASCAR show at least during your portion of the schedule, or convince one of the other broadcast partners to do it for you, at a price of course. Same goes for post race coverage. It should all be spelled out in black and white where EVERYBODY knows what is going to happen from day one. Coverage would be contractually obligated through pre-approved outlets, with pre-approved alternates if their is a scheduling conflict. If NASCAR had any where near as much sense as they have greed, they would leave absolutely NOTHING to chance or the changing whims of the media outlets.

In my opinion, ALL of this should be spelled out and stipulated in the TV contracts. You want to carry NASCAR races? OK, but you have to carry a daily NASCAR show at least during your portion of the schedule, or convince one of the other broadcast partners to do it for you, at a price of course. Same goes for post race coverage. It should all be spelled out in black and white where EVERYBODY knows what is going to happen from day one. Coverage would be contractually obligated through pre-approved outlets, with pre-approved alternates if their is a scheduling conflict. If NASCAR had any where near as much sense as they have greed, they would leave absolutely NOTHING to chance or the changing whims of the media outlets.

Nobody would sign up for that.

Honestly, there's enough content on YouTube to fill the void.

A weekly show would be just fine with me. Showtime's Inside NASCAR was great, and if TNT does something like that, it'd be perfect. And the only reason I'm singling out TNT is because of what they're doing with TruTV.

Nobody would sign up for that.

Honestly, there's enough content on YouTube to fill the void.

A weekly show would be just fine with me. Showtime's Inside NASCAR was great, and if TNT does something like that, it'd be perfect. And the only reason I'm singling out TNT is because of what they're doing with TruTV.
Well, several of the network have done it without a contractual obligation, so I don't see it as too much of a stretch and everybody keeps telling me how all these outlets can't wait to have NASCAR, so if you're NASCAR, you leverage your position. The other option is you park your greed for a second or two and look at the bigger picture of growing the sport and servicing your existing fans, and take a SLIGHTLY smaller payout to get what you want, Which is exactly what I have been preaching since the very first TV contract was signed. Take a little less if you have to, but always make sure YOU are the one driving the bus instead of some network that can and will change their mind from one day to the next. If NASCAR hadn't sold their soul to TV, we might not have these dumbass playoff schemes.

Well, several of the network have done it without a contractual obligation, so I don't see it as too much of a stretch and everybody keeps telling me how all these outlets can't wait to have NASCAR, so if you're NASCAR, you leverage your position. The other option is you park your greed for a second or two and look at the bigger picture of growing the sport and servicing your existing fans, and take a SLIGHTLY smaller payout to get what you want, Which is exactly what I have been preaching since the very first TV contract was signed. Take a little less if you have to, but always make sure YOU are the one driving the bus instead of some network that can and will change their mind from one day to the next. If NASCAR hadn't sold their soul to TV, we might not have these dumbass playoff schemes.

I don't think a daily show is necessary to increase audiences. I did watch NBCSN's NASCAR America quite often, and ESPN2's NASCAR Now before that, but there's often times not enough going on and we're in a different time. There's tons of content on YouTube, and NASCAR does have a very active following on social media. One metric we keep hearing about with NASCAR is engagement.

The primary reason to watch NASCAR Race Hub, aside from Radioactive, was because Fox doesn't do postrace coverage at all. For me, even though Fox has signed off within 10 minutes of the finish, I've already seen a good amount of postrace content within an hour or two because of great journalists like Bob Pockrass and Matt Weaver - who are very active on social media.

That said, I don't understand why Fox is canceling Race Hub. It's one of their highest rated daily programs, if not their highest rated. But I have faith that TNT Sports is going to deliver.

I don't think a daily show is necessary to increase audiences. I did watch NBCSN's NASCAR America quite often, and ESPN2's NASCAR Now before that, but there's often times not enough going on and we're in a different time. There's tons of content on YouTube, and NASCAR does have a very active following on social media. One metric we keep hearing about with NASCAR is engagement.

The primary reason to watch NASCAR Race Hub, aside from Radioactive, was because Fox doesn't do postrace coverage at all. For me, even though Fox has signed off within 10 minutes of the finish, I've already seen a good amount of postrace content within an hour or two because of great journalists like Bob Pockrass and Matt Weaver - who are very active on social media.

That said, I don't understand why Fox is canceling Race Hub. It's one of their highest rated daily programs, if not their highest rated. But I have faith that TNT Sports is going to deliver.
Well, whatever is or isn't necessary should be determined by NASCAR, not by a party that is only concerned with whatever is expedient for their own desires. Drive the bus, don't just ride in it.

The broadcasters cut checks to NASCAR … not the other way around.

The broadcasters cut checks to NASCAR … not the other way around.
Yes, but NASCAR is the one with the product, and as such they CAN exercise a level of control over it. Does that mean they might have to give up a little money on the front end to maintain that level of control? Sure it does, but that is what big picture thinking is all about. If the product is in as much demand as everyone here seems to think it is, then it shouldn't be that hard cut a deal that does more than the bare minimum. NASCAR reminds me of most of the young kids I work with that are fixated on their hourly pay number, but don't stop to consider things like paid time off, health insurance and the retirement plan that they don't even have to contribute out of pocket money towards. Most end up leaving for a job that pays a couple more dollars on the hour, but offers few of the other benefits. Drive the bus, don't be a passenger.

Has anyone watched the news, I mean other than Nascar News?? Here is my 2025 prediction. At crucial moments of the race, Fox will break away to a commentary direct from the cell of Donald Trump as he watches the race on his custom wrap around tv.
You heard it here first.

Has anyone watched the news, I mean other than Nascar News?? Here is my 2025 prediction. At crucial moments of the race, Fox will break away to a commentary direct from the cell of Donald Trump as he watches the race on his custom wrap around tv.
You heard it here first.
9, 8, 7, ...

Yes, but NASCAR is the one with the product, and as such they CAN exercise a level of control over it. Does that mean they might have to give up a little money on the front end to maintain that level of control? Sure it does, but that is what big picture thinking is all about. If the product is in as much demand as everyone here seems to think it is, then it shouldn't be that hard cut a deal that does more than the bare minimum. NASCAR reminds me of most of the young kids I work with that are fixated on their hourly pay number, but don't stop to consider things like paid time off, health insurance and the retirement plan that they don't even have to contribute out of pocket money towards. Most end up leaving for a job that pays a couple more dollars on the hour, but offers few of the other benefits. Drive the bus, don't be a passenger.

Forcing four networks to carve out space for a nightly primetime show would sabotage any TV agreement. This isn't the NFL.

Look at how hard TNT is fighting to salvage some sort of TV rights deal for the NBA. Nobody works this hard to salvage a deal with NASCAR. I would even argue that NASCAR values its quarter-century partnership with Fox Sports than Fox does. Fox has those first few races, including the Daytona 500, on lockdown and that's all they care about - having something in between football and baseball season.

There's more than enough content on YouTube. Get with the times.

Also, NASCAR already left money on the table to keep the majority of its schedule on cable TV because boomers think spending $250/month to get FS1 is a better deal than spending $12/month for Prime.

Also, NASCAR already left money on the table to keep the majority of its schedule on cable TV because boomers think spending $250/month to get FS1 is a better deal than spending $12/month for Prime.
OK, show me where the viewership numbers for streaming justify NASCAR wanting to be only there. The disparity in numbers between broadcast TV and cable are bad enough. The whole problem from day one is that the various media platforms want to use NASCAR to prop up their second rate cable channels and now streaming platforms. NASCAR's sole concern should be getting the sport in front of as many eyes as possible. Keep in mind too that NASCAR draws a bigger share of its audience than most sports from places where reliable cell and internet service is just not an automatic given. One of the reasons that mini-dish satellite systems where an absolute boon to NASCAR until the providers priced themselves out of many people's budgets. As for Fox, stop doing business with people that are doing only the bare minimum. Also, as somebody that has finally cut the cord, streaming TV DOES have a LOT to offer, but as a platform (we have Roku and Prime), the day to day functioning of it is a complete pain in the ass. It is the most disorganized mess believable and the functionality is often as bad as Faceplant. I can clearly see why the non-techies among us, especially older people would be totally turned off by it all. My Mom stayed at our house for a few days to watch our dogs while we where in Virginia, and it took my wife about 45 minutes to teach her how to find even the most basic stuff and watch it, and even then she ended up only watching about two channels because she was afraid to start screwing around and end up with nothing at all. I totally understand that frustration. Before each of the four Cup races I have watched on it, I have have had to re-figure out where to even FIND FS1 on the system. Trying to record it opens another can of worms. My Fios was so simple, the dogs could practically operate it.

OK, show me where the viewership numbers for streaming justify NASCAR wanting to be only there. The disparity in numbers between broadcast TV and cable are bad enough. The whole problem from day one is that the various media platforms want to use NASCAR to prop up their second rate cable channels and now streaming platforms. NASCAR's sole concern should be getting the sport in front of as many eyes as possible. Keep in mind too that NASCAR draws a bigger share of its audience than most sports from places where reliable cell and internet service is just not an automatic given. One of the reasons that mini-dish satellite systems where an absolute boon to NASCAR until the providers priced themselves out of many people's budgets. As for Fox, stop doing business with people that are doing only the bare minimum. Also, as somebody that has finally cut the cord, streaming TV DOES have a LOT to offer, but as a platform (we have Roku and Prime), the day to day functioning of it is a complete pain in the ass. It is the most disorganized mess believable and the functionality is often as bad as Faceplant. I can clearly see why the non-techies among us, especially older people would be totally turned off by it all. My Mom stayed at our house for a few days to watch our dogs while we where in Virginia, and it took my wife about 45 minutes to teach her how to find even the most basic stuff and watch it, and even then she ended up only watching about two channels because she was afraid to start screwing around and end up with nothing at all. I totally understand that frustration. Before each of the four Cup races I have watched on it, I have have had to re-figure out where to even FIND FS1 on the system. Trying to record it opens another can of worms. My Fios was so simple, the dogs could practically operate it.
Amen...Roku and Youtube here. What a clusterpuck.

NASCAR needs to cater to young people not boomers. It already is swamped with old people watching,….and I’m a old person😁

I think it’s all a matter of what you’re used to. I started streaming with Sony PlayStation years ago and now have YouTube TV & Prime. It may be easier for me as I never watch live TV. I record everything and go to my library when I’m ready to view it

My big gritch with my streaming experiences is that there's a delay of several seconds vs. over the air or cable. When I'm watching a race, someone will post a comment about something that hasn't been shown to me yet. This has been consistent across two different brands of sticks and three services. Sometimes it's over 10 seconds.

Second complaint is when I watch a sport streamed, I don’t get the side-by-side commercials, only full-screen ones.

Back
Top Bottom