The Announcers Thread

Hell, clean house and bring Townsend and Hinch along too. I have more faith in them picking up stock car knowledge than in the other gerbs ever turning down the hormones.
Well we have one who thinks he is still driving and he thinks he knows what drivers are thinking and another who repeats everything he says.

Reactions: sdj
Leigh Diffey F2XEZKMG1BB7VQI.jpg

And that job would be?
Nothing . He lives in East Greenwich R.I. and is worth about 4 million $. He has a company called Bestwick talent, and is able to do what he wants...
I actually bumped into him at a store in East Greenwich years ago, said hello , and he reciprocated. Down to earth guy...

Honestly they both yell too much for my taste. But we wont have to deal with Rick Allen butchering his own catch phrases during a broadcast anymore as well as the awkward attempts at making everything a storyline ( Chase Briscoe/Marissa Briscoe fertility issues), especially coming to green ( He GOT HIS START ON A COMPUTER!!!). Good riddance, the absolute worst announcer to call races in my fandom. He made Bill Weber sound like Barney Hall.
Basically how I feel about Rick Allen. He’s not exceptionally loud, but a lot of his commentary seems so forced it comes across as awkward and cringey. I think he’ll be better at a lower level if he ends up doing Xfinity. Maybe he won’t feel so pressed to sell the moment anymore.

Diffey can be pretty loud, but you can tell it’s rooted in genuine enthusiasm. Cup races are a good bit longer than what he’s coming from so I think he’ll have to be more reserved by default, but he’ll probably call some pretty spectacular finishes.

Basically how I feel about Rick Allen. He’s not exceptionally loud, but a lot of his commentary seems so forced it comes across as awkward and cringey. I think he’ll be better at a lower level if he ends up doing Xfinity. Maybe he won’t feel so pressed to sell the moment anymore.

Diffey can be pretty loud, but you can tell it’s rooted in genuine enthusiasm. Cup races are a good bit longer than what he’s coming from so I think he’ll have to be more reserved by default, but he’ll probably call some pretty spectacular finishes.

This is spot on. Diffey is genuine, Rick Allen may very well be genuine but it rarely sounds like it. But he does have a very "vanilla" announcer voice so that probably doesn't help.

NBC Sports will show every green flag lap live at Daytona, Atlanta and Talladega. Any commerical break during green flag racing will be shown in the side-by-side format.

I guess this will mean the end of the side by side during caution laps...always looked forward to that.

NBC Sports will show every green flag lap live at Daytona, Atlanta and Talladega. Any commerical break during green flag racing will be shown in the side-by-side format.

If you watch the replay on Youtube they're always commercial free

I recall hanging out in a hotel lobby around 2008 or so, with the World Cup on the lobby TV. The entire broadcast was shown with the match occupying the upper right corner of the screen. About 25% of the left side and 25% of the bottom were used for continuous ads. The match got a much larger percentage of the screen than what we get for side-by-side. I remember wishing more US networks would use that approach for sports that don't have build-in breaks.

I recall hanging out in a hotel lobby around 2008 or so, with the World Cup on the lobby TV. The entire broadcast was shown with the match occupying the upper right corner of the screen. About 25% of the left side and 25% of the bottom were used for continuous ads. The match got a much larger percentage of the screen than what we get for side-by-side. I remember wishing more US networks would use that approach for sports that don't have build-in breaks.

I would like to see the TNT "Wide Open Coverage" concept be used again in a modern format.

Every major national/international motorsport broadcast utilizes a pylon instead of a ticker, and all these companies already have vertically-formatted ads because of social media (TikTok, Reels). They could use space on the pylon to run the commercials while airing the race uninterrupted.

I would like to see the TNT "Wide Open Coverage" concept be used again in a modern format.

Every major national/international motorsport broadcast utilizes a pylon instead of a ticker, and all these companies already have vertically-formatted ads because of social media (TikTok, Reels). They could use space on the pylon to run the commercials while airing the race uninterrupted.
It's not like 27" CRT TVs are the top of the line any more. With high def and all that screen real estate, there's no reason these days to continue insisting on 'stand alone' commercials. You just lose your audience to the fridge or the bathroom or Darling Bride's lightning-quick finger on the Mute button. After decades of doing yard work during commercials, my body clock knows exactly when I need to get back to the set at the end of a 5-ad break. If the ads were down the side continuously, I might actually see more of them.

The amount these networks are paying for TV deals I can't believe they would even entertain the idea of going side by side. One would have to imagine that commercial time during a race isn't cheap based on what the networks are paying to get the race. All I can say is if I'm forking out that kind of money I want to make sure my viewers see my ad and aren't distracted by a race.

The amount these networks are paying for TV deals I can't believe they would even entertain the idea of going side by side. One would have to imagine that commercial time during a race isn't cheap based on what the networks are paying to get the race. All I can say is if I'm forking out that kind of money I want to make sure my viewers see my ad and aren't distracted by a race.

Advertisers probably get a greater ROI with side-by-side commercials since its more likely the viewer is paying attention to the screen.

From Sports Business Journal:

NBC calls that its NASCAR Non-Stop format, which some advertisers have been drawn to since viewers are less likely to change the channel or leave the room with on-track action still being shown.

This is spot on. Diffey is genuine, Rick Allen may very well be genuine but it rarely sounds like it. But he does have a very "vanilla" announcer voice so that probably doesn't help.
I wish I could get even 10% as excited about Diffey in the booth as you all seem to be. He seems to be a good guy, and he is extremely competent, but that accent wears on me every bit as fast as listening to Jeff Burton. I have been listening to him ever since he started doing sports car racing in the US, and my opinion has always been the same. I can deal with strong accents from color analysts most of the time, but I want my lead announcer to speak in clear Mike Joy, Alan Bestwick broadcast english. I'm sure that take will piss off many, but my ears have always struggled with accents, just like they struggle with competing sounds. It makes it a chore to listen.

I wish I could get even 10% as excited about Diffey in the booth as you all seem to be. He seems to be a good guy, and he is extremely competent, but that accent wears on me every bit as fast as listening to Jeff Burton. I have been listening to him ever since he started doing sports car racing in the US, and my opinion has always been the same. I can deal with strong accents from color analysts most of the time, but I want my lead announcer to speak in clear Mike Joy, Alan Bestwick broadcast english. I'm sure that take will piss off many, but my ears have always struggled with accents, just like they struggle with competing sounds. It makes it a chore to listen.

You're basically saying NASCAR's play by play guy needs to be American.

Well. Diffey IS an American. I kinda get what you're saying.

What I don't get is the implication that anyone but Americans can't speak clearly to you. It sounds like you're suggesting that what he's providing ISNT "clear broadcast English", as if the American accent is "proper English". It isn't, by the way.

I could understand him just fine. Is the Australian accent more difficult to understand? Eh. Maybe to you. But maybe you should consider allowing yourself to get more used to it. Diffey has a pretty well known voice in motorsports. We're lucky to have him instead of Rick Allen, and Mike Joy, who frankly can't follow a race anymore and sounds ready for a nap.

I like the sound of Rick Allens voice, its just the words and thoughts get jumbled regularly
which gets annoying.

When Leigh Diffey started in US motorsports back in 2001, I thought he got hired just for his accent.
As the years rolled by, he really became of fan of all kinds of motorsports he called and his preparedness
is quite good with historical facts etc. His checkered flags calls are some of the all-time best.

I like the sound of Rick Allens voice, its just the words and thoughts get jumbled regularly
which gets annoying.

When Leigh Diffey started in US motorsports back in 2001, I thought he got hired just for his accent.
As the years rolled by, he really became of fan of all kinds of motorsports he called and his preparedness
is quite good with historical facts etc. His checkered flags calls are some of the all-time best.
I was impressed with Diffey's knowledge of the sport. He knew more about Super speedway racing than Rick Allen in all of his years knew. I've always thought Allen didn't have his head in the game, it was a job, he forgot about it when he left the track. They have already said Diffey was in the pits talking to drivers. I've never heard that about Allen.
It sounded like Jeff was writing down questions for Rick to ask him. That was how bad he was.

You're basically saying NASCAR's play by play guy needs to be American.

Well. Diffey IS an American. I kinda get what you're saying.

What I don't get is the implication that anyone but Americans can't speak clearly to you. It sounds like you're suggesting that what he's providing ISNT "clear broadcast English", as if the American accent is "proper English". It isn't, by the way.

I could understand him just fine. Is the Australian accent more difficult to understand? Eh. Maybe to you. But maybe you should consider allowing yourself to get more used to it. Diffey has a pretty well known voice in motorsports. We're lucky to have him instead of Rick Allen, and Mike Joy, who frankly can't follow a race anymore and sounds ready for a nap.
Yes, I freely admit that I have trouble with people with strong accents. 57 years of loud engines, firearms, machinery and loud music have taken their toll, even though I am adamant about using hearing protection. In a quiet room I can hear a leaking tire from 30 feet. If I walk into a room with a TV on and someone starts talking, the sound jumbles together in my brain and all I hear is noise. I know everyone makes jokes about Asian people working call centers, but I can literally only make out every third or fourth word even if the accent is mild. I don't care if an announcer is from Mars or Australia, I need broadcast english, which IS a real thing.

I know whatcha mean, Formerjackman. I get the same thing when I try to listen to the television. Gotta have closed captioning on or headphones. I had very good hearing and do okay if it is one on one but throw in a little background noise and everything gets mixed together. Trying to understand any foreign accent no matter how good their English is, just throws things off. I had difficulty understanding the Aussie myself. Hearing aids don't help much and trying to understand in a crowded restaurant is a challenge.
I hope those who are trolling and/or nitpicking maintain good hearing their entire life time otherwise they'll possibly post on a forum when an announcer with an accent speaks and say they are having trouble understanding. Not uncommon especially for the over sixty crowd.

I know whatcha mean, Formerjackman. I get the same thing when I try to listen to the television. Gotta have closed captioning on or headphones. I had very good hearing and do okay if it is one on one but throw in a little background noise and everything gets mixed together. Trying to understand any foreign accent no matter how good their English is, just throws things off. I had difficulty understanding the Aussie myself. Hearing aids don't help much and trying to understand in a crowded restaurant is a challenge.
I hope those who are trolling and/or nitpicking maintain good hearing their entire life time otherwise they'll possibly post on a forum when an announcer with an accent speaks and say they are having trouble understanding. Not uncommon especially for the over sixty crowd.
I don't have the closed caption option when I was forced to go to streaming. Something to make note of.

Diffey was fantastic, never put himself over the moment nor let it get to big. I also didn’t get yelled at very much through my tv which was nice. Rick Allen was really bad at his job and would actually probably kill it as a wrestling or Arena Football announcer

Reactions: sdj
Diffey was fantastic, never put himself over the moment nor let it get to big. I also didn’t get yelled at very much through my tv which was nice. Rick Allen was really bad at his job and would actually probably kill it as a wrestling or Arena Football announcer

I've said that Rick Allen belongs in wrestling.

I know we have some wrestling fans here, but we don't need a wrestling style broadcast voice calling a legitimate sport. Too contrived too fake, too dramatic. It makes the sport look bad imo

I was impressed with Diffey's knowledge of the sport. He knew more about Super speedway racing than Rick Allen in all of his years knew. I've always thought Allen didn't have his head in the game, it was a job, he forgot about it when he left the track. They have already said Diffey was in the pits talking to drivers. I've never heard that about Allen.
It sounded like Jeff was writing down questions for Rick to ask him. That was how bad he was.

My favorite part of Rick Allen was when he would say "I talked to *so and so driver* and he told me...". Referencing conversations he never had.

God awful. This should be celebrated

Back
Top Bottom