The Announcers Thread

It might get old as we get on with the season but as of now I find it hilarious and adorable how Clint legit makes Jeff crack up during the broadcast

clint already is infected with burtonitis,
i promise you.
Clint hasn’t said “I promise you “ repeatedly, randomly yells out playoff POINTS!! and not talking a mile a minute. Might change though

To be fair it probably would be tough to have to think of stuff to say and keep talking constantly throughout a 500 mile race every week (atleast for someone like me who is generally just not a talker).

To be fair it probably would be tough to have to think of stuff to say and keep talking constantly throughout a 500 mile race every week (atleast for someone like me who is generally just not a talker).
I know I couldn't do it.

Tony's work in the booth today may be the first thing I've ever seen this entire board in agreement on. :laugh: I thought Chase Briscoe did very well doing commentary on the ARCA race today too.

Tony's work in the booth today may be the first thing I've ever seen this entire board in agreement on. :laugh: I thought Chase Briscoe did very well doing commentary on the ARCA race today too.
I thought it was Chase Elliott the whole time. :XXROFL: :cuckoo:

I have to admit it wasn't really how I thought Tony would handle that role, but he did a really good job and took it a lot more serious and provided a lot more insight than I thought he would. Now if we could only get a couple stories sprinkled in there it would be gold

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have to admit it wasn't really how I thought Tony would handle that role, but he did a really good job and took it a lot more serious and provided a lot more insight than I thought he would. Now if we could only get a couple stories sprinkled in there it would be gold

I thought the one about making Bowyer wait until last at team meetings was pretty funny.

He’d never do it I would bet but if and when Jeff goes to run like HMS when Rick is done like Ive read a million times, Tony should be the replacement. Tony and Clint with Adam Alexander knocked it out of the park

He’d never do it I would bet but if and when Jeff goes to run like HMS when Rick is done like Ive read a million times, Tony should be the replacement. Tony and Clint with Adam Alexander knocked it out of the park
Tony currently has a day job. I don't know if he'd be interested in the booth on a permanent basis. I'm he certainly enjoyed being in FL this weekend more than in IN.

Clint Bowyer grates on my nerves in the booth. It's like everything has to be a class clown moment.

Clint Bowyer grates on my nerves in the booth. It's like everything has to be a class clown moment.
I can see that. From my perspective he brings a little modern day Benny Parsons to the booth which is refreshing.....

Thought the commentary has been good so far but it's quite silly they installed that glass between them and they just stand over the top of it and talk to each other which completely defeats the purpose of it being there in the first place.

I forgot about Tony being on the Xfinity broadcast or I would have watched more of it. He and Clint did a great job.

Clint was better yesterday than during the Clash. He and Jeff mesh really well together. His wit is somewhat like DW when DW was younger and first jumped into the booth.

I was a big fan of DW in the booth and Boyer hasn't fallen far from that tree. Fox made a really good choice and I think Boyer is good enough to have job announcing for a long time. He puts the fun back in racing.

I think him recently getting out of the car makes Clint a better fit. To me DW was too far removed from the car and really far removed from running competitively

Fox Sports is all about network personalities and being cartoonish. I still fear Clint Bowyer will end up being like DW was.

Hope I'm wrong. The booth is great right now and Fox's coverage is vastly superior to NBC in every department except picture quality. It's 2021, why are they still broadcasting in 720p?

Aside from the cartoon depictions of drivers, the graphics on Fox are so much better than NBC. They're clean, translucent, and not distracting. The pylon is very easy to read. They use the pylon for other information as well instead of adding more screen clutter. Their graphics were never distracting.

NBC, on the other hand, has a very dated graphics package that dates back to 2015, can't decide whether to use a pylon or ticker, has a ton of screen clutter, and the graphics stand out whereas Fox's blend in. And NBC's commentary booth is relentless.

This mostly isn't about the announcers. I think Fox mailed it in yesterday. Reports from pit road were very slow to come in or never came in at all on drivers sustaining damage during the race. The ticker didn't update for a good part of the race several times. Very poor day by them.

I noticed the ticker thing as well, was pretty annoying.

I wasn't paying attention to the TV ticker, but the problem might have started with Nascar's. It was super slow updating so if they worked off of Nascar's they were screwed. :idunno:

I was listening to the Dale jr download yesterday and was surprised when Mike just came out and said that Dale's contract with NBC is tied to having Steve Letarte there. I have no problem with Steve, but now it seems he's not going to be going anywhere.

Time for an early evaluation of the Fox broadcast team by yours truly. I am a former professional radio broadcaster but sadly did not do racing. My work included football play by play, leading a morning drive show, some news/sports and voiceover on commercials. Not an expert on TV but I understand the business from where they sit.

Being in the booth together is very helpful. The Plexiglas partition is BS...just playing for correctness required by the network/NASCAR. Same as the masks on drivers standing outdoors far away from everyone. These folks are tested daily while at the track. If Boyer had to do this new gig isolated in the studio it would have been a tougher transition.

The team has smoothed out their wrinkles and is starting to gel. Mike Joy is the consummate professional at his role, steady, sharp. Gordon does what he does well. Their two man team last year was very good. Boyer brings something between "Waltrip meets Dandy Don". In the beginning he was pressing. He was pushing his "fact prep" items too early or eagerly. Also pressing the clown a bit much.

Now Clint is finding his groove within the mix. Timing is critical, especially in a three person booth. In the most recent races all three have good quick transitions, and even allow some nice gaps for pure sounds (outside of "crank it up"). The prepared skits between Gordon and Boyer are getting a bit old. They've milked the fight too much....time to stop. That's on the producers. The rivalry thing is also getting a bit long in the tooth. I liked the rental car competition at Daytona's road course.

I do think Clint is a very good fit. You need someone bringing the spontaneous fizzle with Joy and Gordon. Hopefully he reduces his use of "hot rod" and a few other redundant sayings. That should come in time. Overall the broadcasts are enjoyable.

The prepared skits between Gordon and Boyer are getting a bit old.
Fox's prepared skits got old decades ago, regardless of the sport covered or the personalities involved. If I want prepared skits, I'll stay up for the late night talk shows and SNL.

Boyer brings something between "Waltrip meets Dandy Don"
Good comparison.

Back
Top Bottom