The Daytona 500 (Pre-Race)

I went back and watched the 2011 500. At the time of tandem drafting, I really disliked it. Taking another look at it though it was really entertaining and it actually allowed drivers to make more moves than just being stuck in a pack. There should be some effort to bring elements of that style back.
I loved it and I hated it. It was exciting. Listening to the spotters on the radio was amazing. On the other hand, the guy pushing couldn't get to the line first. That was a big drawback for me.

I loved it and I hated it. It was exciting. Listening to the spotters on the radio was amazing. On the other hand, the guy pushing couldn't get to the line first. That was a big drawback for me.
Yeah, that was the element that I did not like then. If a car handled better as a pusher, the engine temps would skyrocket and there was very little opportunity to pass the leading car without turning it sideways.

If that element could be perfected, I think we’d have fantastic superspeedway races.

Reactions: Pat
odd nascar facts:

1. At the inaugural Southern 500, many drivers, not used to such a long race, brought an assortment of drinks, with one driver reportedly bringing some beer to drink during it. According to Buck Baker, the beer quickly foamed up, and the back of the car began to look like a washing machine as the booze sloshed out the window.
  2. Baker himself wrecked out on lap 176, and was shaken but all right. Baker had brought a jug of tomato juice, which went flying everywhere. When a first responder reached Baker, covered in red liquid and slumped, he thought Baker’d been beheaded

Screenshot_20210209-104249_Chrome.jpg

NASCAR on the front page of ESPN today.

View attachment 53553

NASCAR on the front page of ESPN today.
While I always appreciate NASCAR making the front page of sports, it always seems like it’s either Dale’s death or a violent wreck ie Dillon’s or Newman’s.

EDIT: This story has already been pushed to the middle of the page and is under Soccer, NFL offseason, College Hoops, and NFL 2021 season speculation.

The flea market is empty. Only about 6 vendors for speedway village. Just finished watching wesh 2 and it’s early but right now it’s suppose to start raining at 11 am til about 8 on Sunday. On Saturday after 4.

First certified Houff Moment of 2021 is nearly driving into oncoming traffic in the pits.

Who wins the pole, Bubba, Larson, Chase, Newman, Suarez or the field?

No rain in the forecast all day tomorrow until right at race time at close to 50% lol.

Who wins the pole, Bubba, Larson, Chase, Newman, Suarez or the field?
Preece is the fastest in single car currently which is surprising. I do think it'll be a Chevy either way, they seemed to spend the most time on Q runs today.

Preece is the fastest in single car currently which is surprising. I do think it'll be a Chevy either way, they seemed to spend the most time on Q runs today.
Preece doesn't fit the storyline conspiracy

From past results I think it will be an HMS car and I think any of the 4 could do it but I'm putting my money on Bowman. :)

Post practice....Yep...looks like NASCAR wants the grand storyline. Anoint Bubba and the 23 (unofficial 5th Gibbs car) the pole. Granted anything can happen but it's all Gibbs in the top 5. Probably set them up for top speed versus race setup. I presume there is zero garage time following qualifying?

First certified Houff Moment of 2021 is nearly driving into oncoming traffic in the pits.

I think it was 2010 and I had the opportunity to drive my Camaro around the speedway the morning of the 500. We then set up for a Camaro car show in the old Busch garage area. About half way through the race the skies darkened and we knew rain was coming. I fired up the Camaro and we proceeded to head towards the tunnel, but I actually went to a similar gate towards turn 1, which, if it wouldn't have been for an alert official I would have ended up driving out on the track. True story...

Post practice....Yep...looks like NASCAR wants the grand storyline. Anoint Bubba and the 23 (unofficial 5th Gibbs car) the pole. Granted anything can happen but it's all Gibbs in the top 5. Probably set them up for top speed versus race setup. I presume there is zero garage time following qualifying?
As predicted by all us conspiracy theorists a while back.

Other then the Toyotas were drafting not single cars

Never too early with the new fandangled tin-foil hats.
:jamming: ....Just having some fun. You KNOW however that they want the 23 to be a big part of the show. Jordan entering the racing world is a big deal to NASCAR. I think that's why they looked the other way on the "rules" relative to ownership as pertaining to Hambone. The deal was too important to let some rules get in the way. My main beef is that they are essentially another Gibbs team car. Had it been a Ford or Chevy without the obvious connection and TRD involvement it would be no biggie. Bubba always runs Daytona well.

:jamming: ....Just having some fun. You KNOW however that they want the 23 to be a big part of the show. Jordan entering the racing world is a big deal to NASCAR. I think that's why they looked the other way on the "rules" relative to ownership as pertaining to Hambone. The deal was too important to let some rules get in the way. My main beef is that they are essentially another Gibbs team car. Had it been a Ford or Chevy without the obvious connection and TRD involvement it would be no biggie. Bubba always runs Daytona well.
That's where Tony screwed up he should have had Michael Jordan ask if he could race in the clash and NASCAR would have said no problem. :)

Ya, some people simply can't believe a decent driver in a good car could be fast (while totally ignoring that he has been competitive on plate tracks in lesser equipment).

I fear it will get uglier before it gets better.
For real, I want all the drivers to do well. Man, I'm rooting for Erik Jones harder than ever because we have seen Bubba help be a part of saving RPM, now I want to see Erik raise that program even more because I know he can. I'm still a fan of 43 and I want to see RPM continue its slow creep to being more competitive. Erik is a known commodity and I feel he can push the team forward because he's actually won at this level.

I can understand if some don't care for Bubba for whatever reason, but damn I just want to see him do well like anyone else I back. I'm excited about this season, but from Elliott to Gase all the way to the rear of the field. I just want to see everyone be better because this field is really good from top to bottom.

Good racing is all I'm asking for to send out the Gen 6 on a high-note this season.

Back
Top Bottom