The Food thread

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11301005

teuila2.png

Teuila Fuatai
Teuila Fuatai is a reporter for the NZ Herald
Lamb cutlet and kumara mash pie named NZ's best pie
9:30 PM Tuesday Jul 29, 2014
SCCZEN_240714NZHSRIPIE06_300x200.jpg

Chief judge Tim Aspinall examines the lamb cutlet pie with kumara mash, which took out the supreme award. Photo / Sarah Ivey
A lamb cutlet and kumara mash pie from Wairarapa's Clareville Bakery has won this year's New Zealand Supreme Pie Awards.

Carterton baker Michael Kloeg's "perfect ratios" of pastry, meat and gravy won over the award's judging panel, which included celebrity chef Simon Gault.

"It was the best pie on the day," Brent Kersel, awards judge and managing director of Bakels New Zealand, said.

"The lamb was cooked to perfection and the kumara mash was a great flavour which worked well with the lamb. It reminded me of a Kiwi roast dinner."

Gallery
Gallery: 2014 Supreme Pie Awards

Mr Kloeg's winning creation was named top pie at tonight's awards dinner in Auckland.

It was picked from more than 4800 pies by the 24-strong judging team, which spent a day assessing the entries from 533 bakeries around New Zealand.

Exotic pie flavours included rabbit and wild boar, caramelised rhubarb and wild berry, chilli con carne, spiced duck with bacon and slow cooked beef cheek and cauliflower cheese pie.

Mr Gault commended the bakers for this year's "top standard".

"I could imagine the gold category winner pies being served in a restaurant," he said.

"From my end, it was very difficult to judge, which is always a good sign.

"It was hard to make the final decision because I know there's a lot riding on these awards. Bakers' reputations are on the line," he said.

Chief judge Tim Aspinall said a good pie made people think: "man, I would like to get into that".

"It has to have a good glaze, rich colour, a nice shape and some lift in the pastry."

"Then, whatever the main ingredient is has to be there in substantial proportions. If it's a mince and cheese, then the mince has to be the bulk item - you need to be able to bite into the pie without it oozing out. If it does that, then there's too much gravy," Aspinall said.

For the judging, which took place on Thursday, the pies were blind coded into 12 categories, which included mince and gravy, steak, vegetables and gravy and steak and cheese.

As well as the supreme pie award, a winner was chosen for each category.

This year's entry total of 4832 pies was 5 per cent more than last year.

New Zealand Supreme Pie Awards, 2014

* Supreme winner: Michael Kloeg, The Clareville Bakery, Carterton

Category winners

* Mince & Gravy: Vasokha Leng, Bernie's Bakery & Café, Browns Bay, Auckland

* Steak & Gravy: Roger Cathro, Pak N Save Petone, Petone

* Chicken & Vegetable: Bunchoeun Keo, One Tree Bakery, Mt Maunganui

* Gourmet Fruit: Bunnarith Sao, Dairy Flat Bakery, Albany, Auckland

* Gourmet Meat: Michael Kloeg, The Clareville Bakery, Carterton

* Vegetarian: Kim Hour Chheur, Angkor Wat Bakery, Waipukurau

* Bacon & Egg: Try Kong, Bakers Oven ,Whangaparoa

* Mince & Cheese: Vasokha Leng, Bernie's Bakery & Café, Browns Bay, Auckland

* Steak & Cheese: Lam Ho, Paetiki Bakery, Taupo

* Seafood: Lam Ho, Paetiki Bakery, Taupo

* Commercial/Wholesale: Murray Swetman, Gourmet Foods, Tauranga

* Café Boutique: Alan Woodford, Banana Pepper Café, Waihi

- NZ Herald

Bernie's in Browns Bay won 2 awards and I'm fairly close to them.......may have to get one or 2.
I need to ask Muzza if he bothers with the awards......I doubt he submits any entries as he is already famous around these parts.

Pulled Pig sammich. I've ate a bunch of it but never made it. I'm well-versed in eats and I've got my own idea of how I'm doing this. I made my own dry rub and rubbed down a 5lb. pork shoulder roast. I've wrapped it in Saran wrap to sit, rubbed, overnight. Tomorrow it will get hickory smoked in my Weber for a spell and then it will go into my cast iron Dutch oven with garlic, onions, apple cider vinegar and apple juice for about three hours. I will then remove it from the Dutch oven, skim the fat off of the renderings, reduce the juice and add BBQ sauce blend. The first run is experimental. I have several people in the loop, willing to sample and evaluate. Sammiches will have a little jalapeno cole slaw and hamburger dill pickles.
I'll take pics. :)

Sounds great Bobby.
Made pulled pory sammies myself this week the easy way ...in the slow cooker covered in Sweet Baby Rays cooked for 7 hours on low pulled apart then more SBRay's mixed in. Turned out really Yum!

Pig hunk been in the cast iron Dutch oven, inside a 325 oven for four hours. I just opened it up and cut the butchers twine off of the meat. Lots of fat juice in the renderings. I'll later remove the juice, add BBQ sauce and let it reduce. IMO, it needs another hour.

Pig hunk been in the cast iron Dutch oven, inside a 325 oven for four hours. I just opened it up and cut the butchers twine off of the meat. Lots of fat juice in the renderings. I'll later remove the juice, add BBQ sauce and let it reduce. IMO, it needs another hour.
Yum, making my mouth water :)

Homemade Bloody Mary

Ingredients
Ketel One Vodka
5 medium-large tomatoes, chopped
1 small onion, diced
1/2 large beet, peeled and diced
1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
2 Serrano peppers, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon honey
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
1 tablespoon Boar’s Head jalapeno hot sauce
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons celery salt
Green Olives w/pimento
Juice of 1 lemon
Water, as needed
Additional celery salt, pepper, hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce, to taste
Lemon wedge, Green Olive, Celery stalk for garnish
Directions:
For the Bloody Mary mix:
1. Combine tomatoes, onion, beet, carrot, Serrano peppers, celery and honey in large pot and add 1/4 cup water plus salt and pepper to taste. Cover pot, set over high heat and bring to a boil. Drop heat and allow vegetables to simmer, covered, until completely tender, about 40 minutes.
2. Remove pot from heat, add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Transfer mixture to a blender and blend on high until completely smooth. Re-season to taste. If mixture is too thick, add water and re-blend. Be careful not to make too thin.

6 ounces Homemade Bloody Mary Mix,
3 ounces Ketel One vodka

The Bloody Mary mix turned out well. I wound up adding two celery stalks (that I forgot to include in the ingredient list), a clove of garlic, about twice as much horseradish, twice as much hot sauce, twice as much Worcestershire and a decent amount of the celery salt & pepper.

The Bloody Mary mix turned out well. I wound up adding two celery stalks (that I forgot to include in the ingredient list), a clove of garlic, about twice as much horseradish, twice as much hot sauce, twice as much Worcestershire and a decent amount of the celery salt & pepper.
Lol, spice it up!

I think I'm coming up there Bobby....I'm hungry AND thirsty and of course have to deliver the meat pies. :D

Last night I couldn't decide whether to grill the Rib-eye or the Pork Chops. Guess what I did?
Yesterday was starch-free Friday.

My next shift is evenings so I thought I better make a batch of Chili to eat all week.
It's a good thing I LOVE it!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408072746.905065.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408072746.905065.jpg
    445.9 KB · Views: 223
Ok, so I cooked a 2lb chuck roast in the crockpot for 8hrs. Then I sautéed some mushrooms in the cast iron skillet while I was boiling potatoes. When the mushrooms were done I took them out of the skillet, added some butter and flour and cooked it til it was tan and then added some meat juice from the crockpot. Then I mashed the potatoes and shredded the crockpot roast. I added the mushrooms to the gravy and added the gravy to the crockpot. I put the mixture into the center of a bowl of mashed potatoes.
Comfort food.

Ok, so I cooked a 2lb chuck roast in the crockpot for 8hrs. Then I sautéed some mushrooms in the cast iron skillet while I was boiling potatoes. When the mushrooms were done I took them out of the skillet, added some butter and flour and cooked it til it was tan and then added some meat juice from the crockpot. Then I mashed the potatoes and shredded the crockpot roast. I added the mushrooms to the gravy and added the gravy to the crockpot. I put the mixture into the center of a bowl of mashed potatoes.
Comfort food.
One of my favorite meals growin up, except a cast iron dutch oven instead of a crock pot and onions added to it.

Some chicken stir fry.
Notice my rookie chop sticks
View attachment 14409
Damn, Clutch, that looks pretty good! I've been planning on making some chicken stir-fry myself for a while now, but I keep putting it off. That pineapple looks pretty good too.

I grilled some strip steaks last night after marinating them in a nice mix of Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce. I made some rice pilaf to go with it. It was pretty good even though I didn't think to make sure I had any A1 Sauce. I really never eat steak without A1, but it was good enough to eat without the sauce anyway.

Stopped by Muzza's on the way to work yesterday and asked for a Peppersteak pie but the warming oven didn't have any.
Fortunately the baker had just taken a new batch out of the oven. I took two.

Divine.

Anyone have some good chili recipes?

Back
Top Bottom