The Food thread

5047EF89-5BDD-4EC3-BEB6-1B713293FB71.jpeg

GMO Soybeans for the oil. And for the Calcium Disodium EDTA. Each country has different laws on labeling.

I had to eat the last of this crockpot stew last night. An idea I came up with a couple of years ago…I ladled out some of the broth and made a nice thick gravy. Then I cut up the roast and fingerling potatoes, added it to the gravy along with the carrots and mushrooms. Rolled it all up in a flour tortilla for a crockpot stew burrito 🌯😋

I had to eat the last of this crockpot stew last night. An idea I came up with a couple of years ago…I ladled out some of the broth and made a nice thick gravy. Then I cut up the roast and fingerling potatoes, added it to the gravy along with the carrots and mushrooms. Rolled it all up in a flour tortilla for a crockpot stew burrito 🌯😋
You do eat pretty well Bobby. Thanks for sharing some of your delicious looking meals with us.

Whanna share the chili recipe? Looking for one with brisket but also one using ground round. Hamburger?
I don’t really have a recipe for it, Whizz. I just kinda eyeball the ingredients. I’ll tell you what’s in it though: 2lbs ground sirloin beef, 28oz can whole Italian plum tomatoes halved with shears, 14oz can Mexican stewed tomatoes, 14 oz can tomato sauce, chopped bell pepper, chopped Serrano chilies, 1 chopped medium yellow onion, 1 can green giant Mexicorn, salt pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, 1 can white kidney beans, 1 can red kidney beans…🤔
Sometimes I’ll add a little sugar it the tomatoes are too tangy.

I'm enjoying learning to cook. I stumble my way around the kitchen with simple recipes and find it is fun and satisfying. So far have made from scratch, beef stew, bean soup, bread pudding, and I've been working on omelets without much success. The lack of success with the omelets is getting the right heat to start then flipping them in the pan, a chore even with a spatula. The beef stew was very good as was the bean soup. The bread pudding made a good custard except i used 2% milk and that took some of the richness out. Next time will try it with whole milk and a little less sugar. Right now recipe calls for 2 cups of sugar and made it really sweet. Later today will try chili using a combination of recipes from Bobby, a friend whose college roommates and the women he married did not know how to cook or were playing him. Either way he's a good cook and he really doesn't mind. Unlike me whose mother and the woman I married that learned from experience and does a darn good job of it.
Throughout my entire life the women always did the cooking - not intended as an insult, it's just the way it turned out - so I never had to learn. I'm loving how much spices can influence the taste of food, even the smallest amounts and that is what makes it fun.

Sorry for rambling .................................:)

^^^^^^What is it called and whats in it? ^^^^^^
Salsa verde. Boiled tomatillos, Serrano peppers, white onion, garlic. Just enough water to cover, boiled 15 minutes. Blended in the boiled water with an immersion blender.
Once cooled, I add more Serrano peppers, diced white onion, cilantro, salt, pepper, cumin from the food processor.
BAED4CD8-8764-4D4B-A03B-FCA65737E078.jpeg
DDEB6CDB-B3F4-42A2-B599-2853C6CDFECD.jpeg

No where near the quality of cook Bobby has exhibited but struggling with simple things and enjoying it immensely. Having pre-diabetes, it was suggested using oat meal for breakfast instead of a regular diet of fried or scrambled eggs or cereals like Cheerios. After reading up the best breakfast foods for those with pre-diabetes decided to try steel cut oats and was pleasantly surprised. Making the oat meal suing steel cut oats is the game changer and it doesn't taste bland.
Using a crock pot, add four cups of water, one cup of steel cut oats, and a few other things for flavoring then cook on low heat for seven - eight hours. The oats become more creamy with long cooking time. It yields nearly six servings and can be stored in the refrigerator for several days. I add 1/2 apple cut into small pieces, cinnamon and vanilla extract, it doesn't need sweetener and has a nice flavor. It sticks to your ribs and lasts all morning as the fibre digests much slower than regular oat meal the steel cut oats being the secret.
Just a simple recipe from a novice but one that perhaps others might enjoy for a change of pace.

Back
Top Bottom