The future of the WEC

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
Glickenhaus urges BoP revisions for Le Mans Hypercar | RACER

It would be nice if they could get it right and give us a competitive series.

We're losing full time entries already?
Jim has already said his goal isn't to win world championships, it's to sell cars. And right now they sell no cars in Japan or in the Middle East so even this season they haven't confirmed they'll be at Fuji or Bahrain unless they get additional sponsorship.

donthaveanickname

Team Owner
Jim has already said his goal isn't to win world championships, it's to sell cars. And right now they sell no cars in Japan or in the Middle East so even this season they haven't confirmed they'll be at Fuji or Bahrain unless they get additional sponsorship.
No Fuji this season, the World Championship will end with two events in Bahrain (6 and 8 hours)

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
No Fuji this season, the World Championship will end with two events in Bahrain (6 and 8 hours)
Forgot about that. Haven’t seen anything saying they’ll be at either of those and I wouldn’t expect that to be the case next year when Fuji returns either. I don’t think he has as much leverage as he’d like unless that changes at some point.

Kiante

Team Owner
Yep, more than likely we will be down to three cars.

Jim's major concerns were taken care of for the year. He's truly using WEC to market his car company, which is nothing wrong with bringing brand awareness. I mean that is the purpose of sports car racing.

Motul is his primary sponsor, but he's going to need more than just Motul to sponsor the project.

Kiante

Team Owner
AMR has an announcement tomorrow, it looks like they have a GT3 Evo kit for the Vantage. Not sure, just speculating:

Doc Austin

Back From The Dead
Just an "what if," but still worth looking at! To me, this car is more in the spirit intended with the hypercar rules. Toyota's hypercar doesn't really look like anything, but no doubt the car below is a 911.

2021 Porsche 911-H Le Mans Hypercar (drivetribe.com)

Kiante

Team Owner
Looks like Penske has an LMP2 team for WEC next year with Porsche factory drivers:

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
The Porsche is supposed to be a Multimatic though, right?
Yes. It’s probably easiest because the ORECA is the chassis of choice around the world and anything else would be at a competitive disadvantage next year, the Riley-Multimatic probably isn’t even in production anymore (besides in its Mazda form). It was far and away the worst chassis of the four and Multimatic are hard at work developing to the 2023 regs. ORECA still pump out 07s because they’re so coveted.

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
Yes, but this is separate from the LMDH project.

The LMP2 deal is working in conjunction with WRT and United Autosports.
I think that part is just that both of those programs are also expanding, right? WRT are probably doing theirs in preparation for an Audi program and United likely have something in the works too.

Kiante

Team Owner
Yes. It’s probably easiest because the ORECA is the chassis of choice around the world and anything else would be at a competitive disadvantage next year, the Riley-Multimatic probably isn’t even in production anymore (besides in its Mazda form). It was far and away the worst chassis of the four and Multimatic are hard at work developing to the 2023 regs. ORECA still pump out 07s because they’re so coveted.
Outside of the rumors of Spirit of Daytona from earlier this year, will anyone be willing to take the reigns of the Mazda project? Or due to the regulation changes being around the corner, it maybe just an absolute loss to take on that deal.

Kiante

Team Owner
I think that part is just that both of those programs are also expanding, right? WRT are probably doing theirs in preparation for an Audi program and United likely have something in the works too.
Oof, my dumbass misread.

So, Penske is launching their own two car deal along with the expanded WRT and United teams. My apologies for my poor reading comprehension right there.

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
Outside of the rumors of Spirit of Daytona from earlier this year, will anyone be willing to take the reigns of the Mazda project? Or due to the regulation changes being around the corner, it maybe just an absolute loss to take on that deal.
I actually heard there were a couple of groups looking at running it for a year but it sounds like Mazda don’t want anyone running it without factory involvement. Most likely it winds up in a museum somewhere after Petit, maybe in Japan.

Almost the same thing for Cadillac, DragonSpeed wanted to run one next year but with CGR expanding and the 2023 Cadillac having a new engine developed right now there aren’t enough resources to support another car.

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
Oof, my dumbass misread.

So, Penske is launching their own two car deal along with the expanded WRT and United teams. My apologies for my poor reading comprehension right there.
All good. Matter of fact, last month there was a snippet that said WRT might run LMP2 in IMSA’s endurance races next year too. They’re going big to get prepared it seems.

Top Bottom