The future of the WEC

Glickenhaus urges BoP revisions for Le Mans Hypercar | RACER

It would be nice if they could get it right and give us a competitive series.

We're losing full time entries already?
Jim has already said his goal isn't to win world championships, it's to sell cars. And right now they sell no cars in Japan or in the Middle East so even this season they haven't confirmed they'll be at Fuji or Bahrain unless they get additional sponsorship.

Jim has already said his goal isn't to win world championships, it's to sell cars. And right now they sell no cars in Japan or in the Middle East so even this season they haven't confirmed they'll be at Fuji or Bahrain unless they get additional sponsorship.
No Fuji this season, the World Championship will end with two events in Bahrain (6 and 8 hours)

No Fuji this season, the World Championship will end with two events in Bahrain (6 and 8 hours)
Forgot about that. Haven’t seen anything saying they’ll be at either of those and I wouldn’t expect that to be the case next year when Fuji returns either. I don’t think he has as much leverage as he’d like unless that changes at some point.

Yep, more than likely we will be down to three cars.

Jim's major concerns were taken care of for the year. He's truly using WEC to market his car company, which is nothing wrong with bringing brand awareness. I mean that is the purpose of sports car racing.

Motul is his primary sponsor, but he's going to need more than just Motul to sponsor the project.

AMR has an announcement tomorrow, it looks like they have a GT3 Evo kit for the Vantage. Not sure, just speculating:

Just an "what if," but still worth looking at! To me, this car is more in the spirit intended with the hypercar rules. Toyota's hypercar doesn't really look like anything, but no doubt the car below is a 911.

2021 Porsche 911-H Le Mans Hypercar (drivetribe.com)

eXQa1zpzQ16k3kjenB2yuA

The Porsche is supposed to be a Multimatic though, right?
Yes. It’s probably easiest because the ORECA is the chassis of choice around the world and anything else would be at a competitive disadvantage next year, the Riley-Multimatic probably isn’t even in production anymore (besides in its Mazda form). It was far and away the worst chassis of the four and Multimatic are hard at work developing to the 2023 regs. ORECA still pump out 07s because they’re so coveted.

Yes, but this is separate from the LMDH project.

The LMP2 deal is working in conjunction with WRT and United Autosports.
I think that part is just that both of those programs are also expanding, right? WRT are probably doing theirs in preparation for an Audi program and United likely have something in the works too.

Yes. It’s probably easiest because the ORECA is the chassis of choice around the world and anything else would be at a competitive disadvantage next year, the Riley-Multimatic probably isn’t even in production anymore (besides in its Mazda form). It was far and away the worst chassis of the four and Multimatic are hard at work developing to the 2023 regs. ORECA still pump out 07s because they’re so coveted.
Outside of the rumors of Spirit of Daytona from earlier this year, will anyone be willing to take the reigns of the Mazda project? Or due to the regulation changes being around the corner, it maybe just an absolute loss to take on that deal.

I think that part is just that both of those programs are also expanding, right? WRT are probably doing theirs in preparation for an Audi program and United likely have something in the works too.
Oof, my dumbass misread.

So, Penske is launching their own two car deal along with the expanded WRT and United teams. My apologies for my poor reading comprehension right there.

Outside of the rumors of Spirit of Daytona from earlier this year, will anyone be willing to take the reigns of the Mazda project? Or due to the regulation changes being around the corner, it maybe just an absolute loss to take on that deal.
I actually heard there were a couple of groups looking at running it for a year but it sounds like Mazda don’t want anyone running it without factory involvement. Most likely it winds up in a museum somewhere after Petit, maybe in Japan.

Almost the same thing for Cadillac, DragonSpeed wanted to run one next year but with CGR expanding and the 2023 Cadillac having a new engine developed right now there aren’t enough resources to support another car.

Oof, my dumbass misread.

So, Penske is launching their own two car deal along with the expanded WRT and United teams. My apologies for my poor reading comprehension right there.
All good. Matter of fact, last month there was a snippet that said WRT might run LMP2 in IMSA’s endurance races next year too. They’re going big to get prepared it seems.

Ferrari was not happy in GTE-Pro with the BoP not being altered.

Someone is always unhappy with the BOP. It's amazing they have it as close as they do.

Heard it was a solid race, I woke up too late to catch anything.
I watch about 10 minutes every night and it knocks me slap out. WEC, as much as I used to love it, is not very good right now.

The P2 cars, as always, were the stars of the show and the GTs always race well. In hypercars we had 3 entries and the Alpine never had a chance.

Telling, though, is that it's just you and me talking about it. WEC is so bad that no one else cares.

Someone is always unhappy with the BOP. It's amazing they have it as close as they do.

I watch about 10 minutes every night and it knocks me slap out. WEC, as much as I used to love it, is not very good right now.

The P2 cars, as always, were the stars of the show and the GTs always race well. In hypercars we had 3 entries and the Alpine never had a chance.

Telling, though, is that it's just you and me talking about it. WEC is so bad that no one else cares.
It's important the other manufacturers get involved quickly with their respected HyperCar or LMDh.

It's been a Toyota testing session for the longest. Glickenhaus used his limited events for marketing purposes. At least TF Sport won in Pro-Am, I love me some Ben Keating.

I find it hard to watch until 2023 still, obviously outside of Le Mans. That’s still a must-watch, but with the top class still pretty much being Toyota and factory GTE racing going the way of the dodo it’s not nearly as compelling as it was 4-7 seven years ago. The future is quite bright though.

It's important the other manufacturers get involved quickly with their respected HyperCar or LMDh.
Which way do you go though? The WEC's inability to balance the Toyota and privateers over the last three years would make me afraid to commit either way. Imagine putting together a $35 million dollar program and picking the wrong way to go.

I would have much rather had one set of regulations for everyone. Works just fine in IMSA.

8 Hour Race has been much better than the 6 hour race.

GTE-Pro has been a lot of fun watching Ferrari and Porsche going back and forth.

Man Neel Jani was so mad, he left his hat on during the anthem on the podium!

Then proceeded to tell the Ferrari drivers to kick his ass... No love lost there.

It's almost like the FIA is actively trying to sabotage sportscar racing.
If they’re going to be over-subscribed, and it sure looks to be that way for the foreseeable future, why should they cater to a team that doesn’t have interest in running a full schedule? Come 2023 nobody is really going to care that Glickenhaus aren’t around.

If they’re going to be over-subscribed, and it sure looks to be that way for the foreseeable future, why should they cater to a team that doesn’t have interest in running a full schedule?
As long as none of the manufacturers leave, the WEC should be ok, but we know it never works that way. Whomever is losing pulls out citing "too expensive," and with the privateers already blown out (or excluded) you've got nothing left.

I don't ever see a reason to exclude good cars.

Come 2023 nobody is really going to care that Glickenhaus aren’t around.
Bahrain wasn't real interesting with only three prototypes, was it? Glick probably would not have featured at the front, but how can you take a three entry championship seriously?

If you only have three entries for a race, how much sense does it make to send two more potential entries away?

Well they’ve announced one car for the full season and a second at select races (I’m guessing Le Mans and maybe Sebring). Hope they actually show up the whole season. If they don’t, not sure they get another shot in 2023.

It could take another year until we see Peugeot back at Le Mans. They have to run Spa in order to be invited.

They aren't going to run it this year? Seems like we have been waiting on these cars forever.
I'm wondering how long the LMDh/LMH boom will last. Hopefully longer than the 3 years where LMP1 was decent.
It will last until the manufacturers bail, because they always do. The step everyone needs to take now is make the cars available to privateers so we will have something left when the manufacturers leave.

Back
Top Bottom