The future of the WEC

I’d rather Peugeot wait as long as they need before locking the car’s homologation in than locking down an underdeveloped car. 2023 will be a better debut year with the rest of the new machinery and the 100th anniversary event as well.

I’d rather Peugeot wait as long as they need before locking the car’s homologation in than locking down an underdeveloped car.
They've had close to two years already. I was hoping to get another car in there to challenge the Toyotas.

They've had close to two years already. I was hoping to get another car in there to challenge the Toyotas.
They committed over two years ago but didn’t decide between LMH or LMDh until September 2020 and didn’t unveil their design until last July. First shakedown was two months ago. For building their own hybrid, wildly exotic car design, had to build a team up from scratch it’s an extremely involved process. Porsche are going to have a full calendar year of testing done before Daytona 2023 and they didn’t even have to build their own chassis.

I’m sure they’ll run a few races this year, but may not make it in time for Spa. It’d be cool to see them at Le Mans but there’s a lot of risk in homologating it too soon for a race Toyota will probably win anyways.

They committed over two years ago but didn’t decide between LMH or LMDh until September 2020 and didn’t unveil their design until last July.
It would have been better to have one class. They have already proven balancing different technologies is impossible.

First shakedown was two months ago. For building their own hybrid, wildly exotic car design, had to build a team up from scratch it’s an extremely involved process.
If only the Rebellion thing has worked out.
Porsche are going to have a full calendar year of testing done before Daytona 2023 and they didn’t even have to build their own chassis.
They already had the motor too. Reportedly it's coming from the Cyanne.

I’m sure they’ll run a few races this year, but may not make it in time for Spa. It’d be cool to see them at Le Mans but there’s a lot of risk in homologating it too soon for a race Toyota will probably win anyways.
I was hoping we would get a good prototype field for Lemans. Now I'll just hope for a P2 car to win. Toyota has had enough open goals.

As Speedweek reports, G-Drive owner Roman Rusinov refuses to comply with the new standards for Russian and Belarussian drivers. As a result, G-Drive has been excluded from the 2022 WEC.
Good news is their WEC service provider found another customer to run at Sebring with the drivers who were going to be alongside Kvyat, and they’re expected to be able to compete on a race-by-race basis throughout the season.

Penske Logistics backing for Penske LMP2 | RACER

plmp2.jpg

Net positive if they actually wind up doing F1 though. The Audi was going to be a Porsche with different bodywork so it’s not so much of a loss for sports cars. If it were someone else with a unique car I’d be more upset about it.
For sure, the VW Group has been mulling over F1 for damn near a decade since the release of the Hybrid platform.

Another engine maker for the series and hopefully, more possibilities for young drivers to come through the ranks. It will certainly makeup for losing Honda at the end of last season for F1.

Net positive if they actually wind up doing F1 though.
It's not a net positive for sportscar though. This is why when it comes to entries, I never believe it until I see it.

The Audi was going to be a Porsche with different bodywork so it’s not so much of a loss for sports cars.
The part that especially hurts is the Audi was going to be a customer program too. Hopefully Porsche can take up the slack and keep everyone supplied.

If it were someone else with a unique car I’d be more upset about it.
Losing any cars from the top class is catastrophic right now.

It's not a net positive for sportscar though. This is why when it comes to entries, I never believe it until I see it.

The part that especially hurts is the Audi was going to be a customer program too. Hopefully Porsche can take up the slack and keep everyone supplied.

I don't think customers will be a problem for the LMDh teams. Also, teams like Glickenhaus were offering a full-time car and parts for 5 million. The opportunties are there, just someone has to be willing to shell out the money. Also, its dependent upon how competitive the car is out of the box.

I think 2024 we will see more possible customers come about, but for 2023 many will be watching and absorbing what they see.

F1 engine supplier > rebodied Porsche, imo. Porsche will have a large customer program too, same with Lambo if they pull the trigger. Sounds like if Lamborghini enter they’ll actually do it on a different chassis platform which would be better anyways.

I don’t think it’s anywhere near as bad as when they left after 2016. Lots more manufacturers in the game now.

The Alpine has been reliable too, so we could be looking at a major upset. Some of the P2 cars are close enough to be considered in the fight, so this could be a hell of a race.

Just a couple crazy events that destroys the #7 Hypercar.
Looks as if the accelerator was stuck as well as no steering
then BLAMO in the tires. Driver ok , jumped out shaking his head.

That Toyota sure took a beating. It got wrecked and then it got wrecked again and put on it's lid. Lopez walked away unaided. Today's cars are pretty damm safe.

Lopez Toyota crash red-flags WEC Sebring 1000 | RACER

It's been pretty interesting up and down the field. The P2 cars are stealing the show, but they always do. Let's hope we can see this level of competition all year.

I'm actually feeling optimistic for the WEC after this race. We've got a lot of P2 cars and I love those. The hypercar class seems to be much better balanced competitively, though Toyota is struggling a little. I think if you throw a couple of LMDh cars in there you'll have a pretty compelling series.

The Toyota actually crashed twice, so don't give up on it until the car is on it's lid. Damm that thing took a beating.

Since I am a Hartley fan I have my chips on the 8 Toyota.
That Alpine looks good in the front though. Uh oh,
here may come the rain . Time to check a radar.

Back
Top Bottom