The Games of the XXXI Olympiad

Awesome seeing more world's records crushed today. Unbelievable that everyone just continues to get better and better every year. Great to see the athletes, excluding the doped countries, get their personal bests regardless of finishing position. Lot's of hard work or drugs in the case of Russia, go into these results.

NBC Sports App + Olympics = Freaking Awesome!

The dedicated event channels cannot be beat.
The only problem is you get the same commercial......over and over and over again. After the 800th Simone Biles Tide commercial, I had to turn it off.

Cp8j2eWWIAARmG8.jpg

Can't believe this is legal. Bush league ****.

The only problem is you get the same commercial......over and over and over again. After the 800th Simone Biles Tide commercial, I had to turn it off.
Just so I know we're talking about the same thing, I'm talking about the phone app. When I watch the Olympics online @ http://www.nbcolympics.com/ I get the same/similar commercial that you're mentioning. When I watch from the phone app, I only get a commercial when I start the app and then none thereafter. Unlike the online version, they cover every moment of every event that I'm mainly interested in. I like/watch a lot of sports but I follow all of the throws competitions closely. Last night we were watching the women's discus qualifying. Watching any one of the other 10 or so televised channels or the online channels, we'd be lucky to see one or two throws. We watched the entire event from start to finish without interruption. It was about 2 1/2 hours long.

No fluff! No more of those feel good background stories. No Bob Costas. No commentators on many of the broadcasts. Only the sport. Great camera angles. Just the way I like it.

We are using an Amazon Fire Stick with the NBC Sports App that we downloaded at the beginning of the games. I'm sure that other means of streaming internet video are available through similar devices. At other times I use the 'share option' available on my Samsung phone to stream directly to the television. The HD quality over my home network is no different that any of the televised broadcasts.

I know I've mentioned it several times..... 4K is a game changer, probably soon to be 8K. On Dish Network as well as other providers, 4K broadcasts of the Olympics are available. The difference between HD and UHD 4K broadcasts are similar to the transition from analog to digital in quality. The only 4K broadcasts that Dish and some other are providing are on a 24 hour delay due to down-converting the signal from 8K to 4K. Turns out that Japan is currently broadcasting the games in 8K. I don't know what is involved in down-converting that to 4K but apparently there is a process that requires the delay. I have not seen a 8K broadcast in person so I can only imagine how that must look. We are always behind with this type of technology in the US. Japan started broadcasting in 8K 5 days ahead of the Rio Olympics, so we'll probably see it in a year or two. They'll probably wait until a majority of the US upgrades to UHD 4K before releasing the next level of technology.

We've always been huge sports fans. I'm lucky to have a wife that enjoys sports every bit as much as I do. We've watched the Olympics for many, many years. With the help of today's technology, we've enjoyed this edition much more than years ago. Can't wait to see what is in store for the Winter Olympics.

Just so I know we're talking about the same thing, I'm talking about the phone app. When I watch the Olympics online @ http://www.nbcolympics.com/ I get the same/similar commercial that you're mentioning. When I watch from the phone app, I only get a commercial when I start the app and then none thereafter. Unlike the online version, they cover every moment of every event that I'm mainly interested in. I like/watch a lot of sports but I follow all of the throws competitions closely. Last night we were watching the women's discus qualifying. Watching any one of the other 10 or so televised channels or the online channels, we'd be lucky to see one or two throws. We watched the entire event from start to finish without interruption. It was about 2 1/2 hours long.

No fluff! No more of those feel good background stories. No Bob Costas. No commentators on many of the broadcasts. Only the sport. Great camera angles. Just the way I like it.

We are using an Amazon Fire Stick with the NBC Sports App that we downloaded at the beginning of the games. I'm sure that other means of streaming internet video are available through similar devices. At other times I use the 'share option' available on my Samsung phone to stream directly to the television. The HD quality over my home network is no different that any of the televised broadcasts.

I know I've mentioned it several times..... 4K is a game changer, probably soon to be 8K. On Dish Network as well as other providers, 4K broadcasts of the Olympics are available. The difference between HD and UHD 4K broadcasts are similar to the transition from analog to digital in quality. The only 4K broadcasts that Dish and some other are providing are on a 24 hour delay due to down-converting the signal from 8K to 4K. Turns out that Japan is currently broadcasting the games in 8K. I don't know what is involved in down-converting that to 4K but apparently there is a process that requires the delay. I have not seen a 8K broadcast in person so I can only imagine how that must look. We are always behind with this type of technology in the US. Japan started broadcasting in 8K 5 days ahead of the Rio Olympics, so we'll probably see it in a year or two. They'll probably wait until a majority of the US upgrades to UHD 4K before releasing the next level of technology.

We've always been huge sports fans. I'm lucky to have a wife that enjoys sports every bit as much as I do. We've watched the Olympics for many, many years. With the help of today's technology, we've enjoyed this edition much more than years ago. Can't wait to see what is in store for the Winter Olympics.
I'm talking about the Roku app. Mostly no commentary (depending on what you watch), but a single commercial throughout. One commercial. Over and over again. Not long commercial breaks, but commercials throughout.

I'm talking about the Roku app. Mostly no commentary (depending on what you watch), but a single commercial throughout. One commercial. Over and over again. Not long commercial breaks, but commercials throughout.
I am not familiar with the Roku. However, I am currently watching the Women's Discus finals on the phone app. I am getting the same commercial about once every half hour. It's only about 10-15 seconds in length. I can deal with it.

Women's track cycling on right now .................. good stuff :booya:

Kerri Walsh Jennings and April Ross bounce back to take the final two sets against the top-seeded Brazilian duo and earn bronze on the beach.

That's a lot of hardware.

Wonder how much those medals are worth in monies.

They're not as valuable as their shiny goodness may appear. Based on the commodity prices of the metals involved, gold is worth in the neighborhood of $600, silver about $300 and bronze next to nothing.

Read the short article below if you get the chance. It may surprise you or maybe not when you really think about it.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money.../15/olympics-victory-tax-gold-medal/88587636/

One of my favorite throwing events is up @ 8:55am et today. Men's Shot Put. Joe Kovacs from PA is going to be one of the favorites. Had a chance to meet him last winter @ the Throwers Convention in Geneva OH. He's a nice guy. This morning are the qualifying events. Finals tonight.

Well, two of our three throwers representing the US have advanced to the finals tonight. Including our local guy, Joe Kovacs. Send some good thoughts his way to take home the gold tonight. That guy's a beast.

KOVACSIMAGE.jpg

Turns out there was no robbery after all. Lochte and the other swimmers lied. Pathetic

Turns out there was no robbery after all. Lochte and the other swimmers lied. Pathetic
Send the SOB back down there.

ESPN @espn

Brazilian police: Ryan Lochte's teammates Jack Conger and Gunnar Bentz say robbery story was fabricated. (via AP)

es.pn/2bl6bt4

6 a.m. Sunday, Lochte, along with Conger, Bentz and Jimmy Feigen, stopped at a gas station in Barra da Tijuca, a suburb of Rio where many Olympic venues are located. One of the swimmers tried to open the door of an outside bathroom. It was locked.

A few of the swimmers then pushed on the door and broke it. A security guard appeared and confronted them, the official said. The guard was armed with a pistol, the official said, but he never took it out or pointed it at the swimmers.

According to the official, the gas station manager then arrived. Using a customer to translate, the manager asked the swimmers to pay for the broken door. After a discussion, they paid him an unknown amount of money and left.

So it could have been left at that but instead they try to tell some story.

Last edited:

ESPN @espn

Brazilian police: Ryan Lochte's teammates Jack Conger and Gunnar Bentz say robbery story was fabricated. (via AP)

es.pn/2bl6bt4

What a disgrace.

ESPN @espn

es.pn/2bl6bt4

Wow, WTF? That makes no sense at all. Why on earth would they make up that crazy story when all they did was break a door?

Friggin' kids, man. :rolleyes:

Wow, WTF? That makes no sense at all. Why on earth would they make up that crazy story when all they did was break a door?

Friggin' kids, man. :rolleyes:
Especially when it sounds like they had already paid for the door. It seemed like nothing more even needed to be said.

They should return their medals back. They disrespected the games, the country of Brazil and brought shame to the US.

Give 'em back.

They should return their medals back. They disrespected the games, the country of Brazil and brought shame to the US.

Give 'em back.

Hopefully the US government doesn't protect Ryan Lochte the same way they protected Amanda Knox (who I still think is guilty).

This has unraveled into an official debacle.

Brazilian police giving a press conference. CNN is broadcasting it.

****** morons.

Back
Top Bottom