The Games of the XXXI Olympiad

No defense for Ryan Lochte's behavior. But... held at gunpoint by a gas station security guard, demanding money. Sounds like robbery to me.

Mark Geragos on CNN is saying that under Brazilian law, what the security officer did is defined as armed robbery.

This is a diplomatic crisis now.

Mark Geragos on CNN is saying that under Brazilian law, what the security officer did is defined as armed robbery.

This is a diplomatic crisis now.

Clearly that guy didn't know what he was talking about. He was just guessing he had a gun pointed. The taxi guy has yet to come forward and two of the swimmers have already fessed up to lying about the "robbery."

Either way, lying to the police and falsifying a police report is a crime.

These stooges won't serve any jail time. This is small time stuff but will probably get banned from Brazil.

Clearly that guy didn't know what he was talking about. He was just guessing he had a gun pointed. The taxi guy has yet to come forward and two of the swimmers have already fessed up to lying about the "robbery."

Either way, lying to the police and falsifying a police report is a crime.

These stooges won't serve any jail time. This is small time stuff but will probably get banned from Brazil.

The Brazilian police confirmed the held at gunpoint stuff in their press conference. They downplayed it, but they confirmed it.

Lochte is scum. But this sounds like South American third world country politics more than anything.

Lochte should fess up on his lies, apologize for his poor behavior and take whatever punishment the US Olympic Committee hands down to him.

A whole lot of poor decisions made by a whole lot of people. What kind of security guard pulls a gun on people and demands money on the spot over a door being kicked down? Thuggish response to juvenile frat boy behavior.

A wise swimmer probably would have stayed in their little Olympic Village. Step out of that, you're in their world. It doesn't matter what we think is right or wrong as a guest in their country. That's their call.

What those guys were doing reflects badly on all of us unless that's the type of behavior you condone. I know I don't. Those guys represent all of us like it or not. I don't think we look too good today.

A wise swimmer probably would have stayed in their little Olympic Village. Step out of that, you're in their world. It doesn't matter what we think is right or wrong as a guest in their country. That's their call.

What those guys were doing reflects badly on all of us unless that's the type of behavior you condone. I know I don't. Those guys represent all of us like it or not. I don't think we look too good today.

Agreed that they should have stayed in the Olympic Village, but 3 or 4 dip****s doing something stupid out of 500+ US athletes in Brazil doesn’t really make us look bad.

CqMHEScXgAAT9-W.jpg:large

Jimmy Feigen, U.S. Swimmer in Lochte Scandal, Pays to Leave Rio

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/20...chte-scandal-pays-leave-rio-n634201?cid=sm_tw

One of the U.S. Olympic swimmers caught up in Ryan Lochte's fabricated tale of robbery in Rio reached a deal with authorities to donate almost $11,000 in order to leave Brazil, his lawyer said early Friday.

Gold medal winner Jimmy Feigen will have his passport returned as part of the agreement.
Feigen was one of four swimmers whose taxi ride back from a late-night party ended in a confrontation in at a gas station during which police a bathroom door was vandalized.

He was prevented from leaving Rio on Wednesday after Lochte's story about being robbed at gunpoint by men posing as police began to unravel under scrutiny from investigators.

"After a long deliberation, this agreement was reached … he will donate 35,000 real [approximately $10,800] to an institute, and with that the case is resolved," Feigen's lawyer Breno Melaragno told reporters.

Last edited:
Watching the women's triathlon now. I can't even comprehend the level of fitness that this type of event takes to complete, let alone win. Good Lord.

Gwen Jorgensen did it! That's apparently the first gold medal for the US in a triathlon, men's or women's. :D

There was some funny little gamesmanship towards the end with Gwen and Nicola Spirig from Switzerland playfully challenging each other to take the lead, but in the end, Gwen just found an extra gear and pulled away.

It was cool to see the emotion from Gwen and to see all of them hugging afterwards. Like I said, you know you're a friggin' certified athlete if you can even finish a triathlon. I tip my hat to all of 'em.

Also have to give a shout-out to Helen Maroulis, who was the first American woman to win a gold medal in wrestling a few days ago in what was apparently a huge upset.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/8/19/1...ght-have-the-most-unexpected-u-s-gold-of-2016

Oh goody, water polo coming up. If horses were involved I might watch.
LOL.

Well, our girls won gold in basketball again, as expected. I didn't watch anything but the second half of this last game, but it was cool to see the likes of Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi again. They were two of my three favorites in the WNBA and were just coming up when I was still into basketball, and now they're the grizzled veterans that have likely played in their last Olympics. Time really flies. :(

Gwen Jorgensen did it! That's apparently the first gold medal for the US in a triathlon, men's or women's. :D

There was some funny little gamesmanship towards the end with Gwen and Nicola Spirig from Switzerland playfully challenging each other to take the lead, but in the end, Gwen just found an extra gear and pulled away.

It was cool to see the emotion from Gwen and to see all of them hugging afterwards. Like I said, you know you're a friggin' certified athlete if you can even finish a triathlon. I tip my hat to all of 'em.

Also have to give a shout-out to Helen Maroulis, who was the first American woman to win a gold medal in wrestling a few days ago in what was apparently a huge upset.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/8/19/1...ght-have-the-most-unexpected-u-s-gold-of-2016
I just found out Gwen was also an accountant.
:bounce:

My boy Galen Rupp takes bronze in the men's marathon. :punkrocke

U.S. men came back from down 0-2 to take the final three sets and win bronze over Russia in indoor volleyball.

The Mongolian wrestling team was really robbed...

Back
Top Bottom