The Isle of Man TT should be stopped... Now & Forever

Lester Holt and the NBC news A team flying into town tonight. Will go live with 24/7 thread coverage, with a break down of the posting content and and analysis by 10pm EST.
Will have the reporting about the reporters and the coverage going by noon tommorow.

This is a joke right?

Why would reports about and photos of the races themselves belong in this years-old thread arguing against the event's existence? I see an event thread for it from last year.

Why would reports about and photos of the races themselves belong in this years-old thread arguing against the event's existence? I see an event thread for it from last year.

I get it but the motivation behind the request and feeling of "disrespect" is odd.

I don't think anyone here actually intends to actively disrespect the dead. However, calling @LewTheShoe a sicko and acting as if he finds pleasure in the carnage is ridiculous.

I look at it this way. If someone told me that they believe football or boxing or another violent sport should be banned due to the known effects of head trauma, I would tell them that I likely disagree and don't consider that the appropriate step. However, I wouldn't pretend that their concerns are completely unfounded, or that they enjoy watching men suffer from brain damage because they call attention to it.

These are complicated questions, and there are no simple answers unless you have a very simplistic view of the world.

I get it but the motivation behind the request and feeling of "disrespect" is odd.
As I said above, my motivation for the request was that a member who disagrees with the premise of the thread was acting like a loud heckler in audience... trying to shout down this discussion with a series of off-topic posts.

Look, I didn't start this thread expecting it to attract widespread popular support. It's not a pleasant subject. It would be far easier to just ignore it and remain silent. But that doesn't work for me. As an old school motorcycle racer from way back, my convictions are informed by my experiences and my sensibilities. They are who I am.

I'm not surprised that others disagree, but I am disappointed at the snarky gang mentality and personal attacks from a number of members. Ironically, some of them are the same members who often complain about intolerance of divergent opinions on this forum.
I don't think anyone here actually intends to actively disrespect the dead. However, calling @LewTheShoe a sicko and acting as if he finds pleasure in the carnage is ridiculous.

I look at it this way. If someone told me that they believe football or boxing or another violent sport should be banned due to the known effects of head trauma, I would tell them that I likely disagree and don't consider that the appropriate step. However, I wouldn't pretend that their concerns are completely unfounded, or that they enjoy watching men suffer from brain damage because they call attention to it.

These are complicated questions, and there are no simple answers unless you have a very simplistic view of the world.
Good post, Gnomesayin. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

Here's a way to find out if the Isle of Man TT could survive public opinion. Televise it like the Indy 500 for a few years. If the death tole stays the same as now, I guarantee there would be changes or shut down entirely.

It's often said that every cloud has a silver lining... even Coronavirus. And that is how I regard the news that the Isle of Man TT has been cancelled (not postponed) for 2020.

It's not a silver lining when the disease has already killed more people then the race ever has

Never made much sense that they watch and cheer the stadium motorcycle racing, along with the road racers busting themselves up for life, but oh no, the one time a year Isle of ManTT, can't deal with that so lets conclude that these racers who are of legal age(for their own good) shouldn't race. Nutz how some people think they are the arbitrators of other peoples business.

Unfortunately, the Southern 100 and the NW 200 have been canceled. It also looks like my favorite race the Ulster Grand Prix has also been canceled.:(

Enjoy the fastest lap ever at the TT and commentary from the badass who is Peter Hickman.

3 dead at the Isle this year. That is a motorsport event that has fallen out of interest for me.
When racers are consisrantly dying no matter what the event, its a no-go for me.

3 dead at the Isle this year. That is a motorsport event that has fallen out of interest for me.
When racers are consisrantly dying no matter what the event, its a no-go for me.
Rich Vogler ended my interest in sprint cars. That racing is for ghouls. You KNOW a big wreck is coming. Quite possibly/likely a very serious if not fatal accident. But there is a contingent here that see no evil, hear no evil. And do their best to shout down anyone that they disagree with. One in particular has a large portion of this boards posts. Really needs to get a life.

If nothing else, this is great video. Terrifying.

I would never even try something this dangerous, even if I was good at it. Still, I'm not going to call for denying these guys a chance to take part.

Back
Top Bottom