The OSS reads light colors differently dark colors

When the hell was Furniture Row ever brown?
Kenny+Wallace+Daytona+500+Practice+LB_pvxajOAvl.jpg

I have no idea what you are taking about but carry on.

Seems like the SHR cars are on the leading edge of the color games with the OSS. We have had dialogue I think about the discrepancy between the Penskes and SHR. Maybe we know now.

Pearn says it does make a difference.

BTW....Pearn says it does make a difference.
I read it, "probably" sounds pretty weak

“Oh yeah, it’s for the Hawkeye,” Pearn said, mater-of-factly. “I think the scanner struggles around the wheel openings there picking them up. They have a high-resolution scan they run when you have a black car and it picks them up but some of the guys with colored paint schemes are able to black out those areas and they (NASCAR) will still run the low-res scan and they will probably not have those areas pick up as well on the scanner.”

I read it, "probably" sounds pretty weak

“Oh yeah, it’s for the Hawkeye,” Pearn said, mater-of-factly. “I think the scanner struggles around the wheel openings there picking them up. They have a high-resolution scan they run when you have a black car and it picks them up but some of the guys with colored paint schemes are able to black out those areas and they (NASCAR) will still run the low-res scan and they will probably not have those areas pick up as well on the scanner.”

Smoke and fire man. Something is there, and NASCAR is going to chase their asses to penalize it. More time on officiating, and less time on the stuff that matters. Unfortunate.

How do you think the OSS reads?

We're not talking about how it reads, we're talking about how it scans. The software is only as good as what the machine gives it, and the machine is the one being tricked, not the software. That would imply that they're changing the information after it's received. But they're not. They're tricking the hardware to send false readings to the software. Sorry to correct your "technical knowledge".

How do you think the OSS reads?
I think the software instructs the hardware to bounce light off the surfaces. Since the light apparently doesn't reflect with as much accuracy off dark surfaces as it does off light ones (maybe the light scatters more?), the program for dark cars is written to collect more data from points that are more closely spaced than on light cars.

The hardware does the scanning. The software tells it where to scan and interprets the results.

Last edited:
Very simple to rectify. Each car goes through a spray booth and all cars come out white.
Those that pass go through a car wash to clean it. Those that fail get loaded for the trip home.
After a couple weeks and sponsors demanding a refund, all cars will pass or stupid people fired.
Paint 'em all white and wrap 'em after inspection.

Paint 'em all white and wrap 'em after inspection.

You realize the can of worms you would open with that? You know how many teams would have variable thickness wraps for the car? "Hey why is the wrap on the right rear 1/4" thick?, Is that a fin in the wrap?....No, No we just accidentally got a wrinkle in the wrap there" Remember when they caught teams a couple years ago cutting slits in the wraps to change the air flow?

IMO you have to send them out on the track in the same condition they went thru tech

You realize the can of worms you would open with that? You know how many teams would have variable thickness wraps for the car? "Hey why is the wrap on the right rear 1/4" thick?, Is that a fin in the wrap?....No, No we just accidentally got a wrinkle in the wrap there" Remember when they caught teams a couple years ago cutting slits in the wraps to change the air flow?

IMO you have to send them out on the track in the same condition they went thru tech

You could chase your ass on this. It will never end, but NASCAR will keep paying money to try to make it end.

Sorry, I forgot the Grinning emoji. I didn't intend anyone to take idea that seriously. Here it is now, later than never. :D

I'm still amazed how teams can find creative ways to work within the rules. I remember the days when NASCAR's most significant cheating detector was a magnet (when teams started using lighter metals).

We're not talking about how it reads, we're talking about how it scans. The software is only as good as what the machine gives it, and the machine is the one being tricked, not the software. That would imply that they're changing the information after it's received. But they're not. They're tricking the hardware to send false readings to the software. Sorry to correct your "technical knowledge".

The machine is only as good as what the software gives it. The machine is nothing... well, except firmware which still is software. Software is the brains of the system, any system.

The machine is only as good as what the software gives it. The machine is nothing... well, except firmware which still is software. Software is the brains of the system, any system.
But the problem is due to a limitation of the laser. If they run the same program on a dark car as a light one, they're not getting the same results. Software is the brains, but the problem is with the fingers it's trying to control; they're broken.

what was happening allegedly was the inspectors were running a lower rez scan that took less time to do on lighter colored cars. Apparently there are more than one resolution setting they can use.

Reactions: Pat
But the problem is due to a limitation of the laser. If they run the same program on a dark car as a light one, they're not getting the same results. Software is the brains, but the problem is with the fingers it's trying to control; they're broken.

I disagree. The lasers send back the data requested. There are two different settings in the software. Use HD on all scans and the problem goes away.

That's so obvilous, why does Nascar not see this for what it is?
I'm guessing NASCAR is aware of it; it takes time to change or tune the program to catch the problem. I expect there will be a lot of cars failing the inspection process when they do get it figured out.

I disagree. The lasers send back the data requested. There are two different settings in the software. Use HD on all scans and the problem goes away.
If the hardware was adequate, they'd only need one setting for all cars. The hardware isn't up to the job; that's why they need two programs. If they could inspect all the cars adequately on the with the faster program, why would they have written the one that gathers more data points in the first place?

We at least agree that testing all cars the same way is the solution. Use the program for dark cars on everything.

If the hardware was adequate, they'd only need one setting for all cars. The hardware isn't up to the job; that's why they need two programs. If they could inspect all the cars adequately on the with the faster program, why would they have written the one that gathers more data points in the first place?

We at least agree that testing all cars the same way is the solution. Use the program for dark cars on everything.

Well if you are talking about the speed of running the high res, then it could be the fault of the hardware or the software.

Nascar: we have no problem with winning teams blowing off the rear fenders in a celebration

Also nascar: we are monitoring your rear fenders
Don't want NASCAR looking at your rear fenders when you win? Do a burn-out until the tires blow and beat the fenders to pieces.

Not a peep about OSS over the weekend. NASCAR delivered the word. Good move.

I swear to God @Spotter22 I am not trying to be a jackwad here, but if the garage is so okay with OSS, why are they trying to screw with it?

Three quarters of a million dollars screwed by a few dollops of paint. That's just cool. Kind of old school racing in a new school world.

OSS continues to impress.
They are saving money on lodging expenses with enhanced schedules, so it's all good.

I hear NASCAR is tackling aerodynamic windshield wipers next.

I hear NASCAR is tackling aerodynamic windshield wipers next.

You can count on it. Did you see the JGR wipers? They could have swiped the freakin' roof if they actually turned them on. Freakin' hilarious.

if the garage is so okay with OSS, why are they trying to screw with it?
Maybe they're happy with OSS -BECAUSE- they can screw with it. The garage screws with lots of things they're happy with but shouldn't be screwing with. Jr. used to transport his restrictor plate to the car in a box full of sand, so the motion would grind down the edges of the openings. ;) (Whatever happened to illegal parts being displayed outside the NASCAR hauler?)

Like any new system, it will take a bit to beat the bugs out.

Last edited:
The garage screws with lots of things they're happy with but shouldn't be screwing with. Jr. used to transport his restrictor plate to the car in a box full of sand, so the motion would grind down the edges of the openings. ;)

Sounds like an old wives tale. The restrictor plates actually used for qualifying and the race are supplied RIGHT before they take place and are NEVER touched by anyone but NASCAR officials. I got yelled at for removing one from a car that already fallen out of the race. The crewman unbolts the carburetor or throttle body unit and lifts it up off the mounting studs. The official drops the plate onto the studs, and the crewman re-installs and tightens the nuts under the supervision of the official. The same procedure in reverse after qualifying or after the race.

Back
Top Bottom