The Rock has been bought

Dan Lovenheim is a property developer. I don't think the track will reopen.

The article says they have already removed some racing related markers.
The "marker" was the track sign beside the highway that they took out to widen the road

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I bet Biggreen695 will know pretty quick. They aren't going to set on an almost 3 million dollar nut for long before doing something one way or another.

The "marker" was the track sign beside the highway that they took out to widen the road

A wave of nostalgia for the Speedway’s heyday has swept the area and the sport of late as signage has been cleared to make way for an expansion of U.S. 1. Earlier this month, Riley Puckett, caretaker for the track, took a back-hoe to the plaster street sign which prompted a mad dash to preserve the history that involved the likes of Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Kyle Petty.

I don't think they 'rush to preserve' if the plan is for the property to remain a race track. We'll have to wait and see, but I'm thinking Motels and restaurants to accommodate the increase in traffic on US 1. That would be ironic, since the biggest complaints about Rock was the lack of those things.

A few days later, a crew removed a granite marker denoting a parking lot as “Darrell Waltrip Blvd.” in honor of his accomplishments at the track.
I bet somebody bought it for a souvenir. Sure, I'd like to see the track back in business, but I'm thinking it's about to be really gone for good.

well the guys that bought the property aren't saying hey we are going to revive the track. That usually isn't good news when they don't say squat.

I bet Biggreen695 will know pretty quick. They aren't going to set on an almost 3 million dollar nut for long before doing something one way or another.
Already hearing a lot of rumors. I wont say anything until its official.

Who live in the past, have rose colored glasses on, and wish for something that doesn't exist anymore.

Cool, now if we could just get the rest of the fanbase to realize it is 2018 and not 198-,197-,196-,or 195-. To use an old phrase, we'd be cooking with gas then.

I think it is proper to be reminded of it every day. Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

You are right. We should be reminded of the issues facing the sport and the numbers that continually demonstrate that the sport has been in a decline for a long time. I'm thinking the owners have started to take notice with their out with the old and in with the new actions.

yeah it is just like watching the news, it's a public service. We should be concerned dam it over something we have absolutely no control over.

The only control we have is our butts in the seats at tracks, or at home in our recliners watching TV.
I'm concerned as all get out about the state of the sport, but I just don't have the money to affect a rescue.
Maybe if someone would give me the winning lottery numbers?

Nobody here can effect the changing/retirement of drivers. Yet, the discussions rage on and on when it happens. I don't think Joe Gibbs cares who doesn't like or like what he's currently rumored to be doing. Yet, the discussions rage on. I'm at a loss why we should balk at a subject because we, as fans, can't affect it or why that should be a consideration. The forum would be pretty dead if that was the case.

The only control we have is our butts in the seats at tracks, or at home in our recliners watching TV.
I'm concerned as all get out about the state of the sport, but I just don't have the money to affect a rescue.
Maybe if someone would give me the winning lottery numbers?

yeah taint much :D But it is wonderful to be reminded every day many times in case we forget Nascar's state of the state.

yeah taint much :D But it is wonderful to be reminded every day many times in case we forget Nascar's state of the state.

Cool, and a legendary track will soon be something useful. Man, if we could get some more change along those lines then the sport might level out in its lost viewership. Wouldn't that be dreamy? Oh, yeah.

Oh, we can talk all we want. I probably should have said the only I do to help my sport is continue to watch.
I'm one that buys a lot of the sponsor automotive products. I do most of the maintenance on all of my stuff, for instance I used 15 gallons of shell Rotella oil every 15-18 thousand miles in my big truck and it had 968 thousand when I sold it. 3 Napa filters every time. :idunno: couple of chicken legs from KFC every once in a while.

I doubt you'll find anyone who expects attendance and viewership to return to the heights it once was. I am fully aware that the sport
has troubles.
But, when I'm watching a race, all I want to do at the time IS watch the race.
I do buy sponsor products when they fit my needs, so I guess I am supporting racing with small bits of money.

You are right. We should be reminded of the issues facing the sport and the numbers that continually demonstrate that the sport has been in a decline for a long time. I'm thinking the owners have started to take notice with their out with the old and in with the new actions.

Replacing the old with the new makes sense when it's an upgrade. What people are saying here is that we replaced a good product with inferior ones. I contend that way to stabilize the decline in NASCAR is to IMPROVE THE PRODUCT, and the race tracks they choose to run at plays a HUGE role in that. Rockingham got knocked off the schedule because it's close proximity to so many other tracks was hurting attendence, and the lure of bigger better markets that turned out to be fool's gold. If we are going to accept that attendence is fairly lousy everywhere but a select few places, then why not go back and concentrate on the tracks that produce the best product? The answer for most of the 1.5 milers is bulldoze about half of it and build something more compelling.

Judging from the article......The fat lady is warming up for the Rock. If you’ll excuse me I’m going to fire up NASCAR Thunder 2004 and race some races at ol North Caroliona Motor Speedway. I’m a bigger dreamer than most in bringing back The Rock and Wilkesboro, but you realize much like stick and ball sports for example, baseball stadiums....these places outlive their usefulness. Just a tad sad that another place where it took skill to win and had a ton full of history loses to a place like.....Kansas Speedway.

Replacing the old with the new makes sense when it's an upgrade. What people are saying here is that we replaced a good product with inferior ones. I contend that way to stabilize the decline in NASCAR is to IMPROVE THE PRODUCT, and the race tracks they choose to run at plays a HUGE role in that. Rockingham got knocked off the schedule because it's close proximity to so many other tracks was hurting attendence, and the lure of bigger better markets that turned out to be fool's gold. If we are going to accept that attendence is fairly lousy everywhere but a select few places, then why not go back and concentrate on the tracks that produce the best product? The answer for most of the 1.5 milers is bulldoze about half of it and build something more compelling.
that might work, but right now they appear to be trying to develop a car package that will provide exciting racing on the 1.5's. love it or hate it.

Also I am very surprised since I don’t know much about the business side of racing the property only sold for 2.9 Million. Wouldn’t you be able to make money on the investment pretty easily if you could get a Cup race back as well as maybe two Xfinity, a truck race and ARCA? Is the place in that bad a shape? Sorry I don’t know how the process works, I can’t speak intelligently on it

The old exists in your mind. The track was bought by new owners and never became profitable. NASCAR going back there isn't gonna happen. The tracks that have races aren't going to give one up. Also, I posted they should half the schedule and make the races shorter in time. I doubt either will happen.

Judging from the article......The fat lady is warming up for the Rock. If you’ll excuse me I’m going to fire up NASCAR Thunder 2004 and race some races at ol North Caroliona Motor Speedway. I’m a bigger dreamer than most in bringing back The Rock and Wilkesboro, but you realize much like stick and ball sports for example, baseball stadiums....these places outlive their usefulness. Just a tad sad that another place where it took skill to win and had a ton full of history loses to a place like.....Kansas Speedway.
. Since you mentioned baseball, I think there is a HUGE lesson there. Remember when every city couldn't wait to build one of those REALLY crappy general purpose stadiums like Pittsburgh and Cincy only to bulldoze them about half way through their life cycle and build much nicer single use facilities?

. Since you mentioned baseball, I think there is a HUGE lesson there. Remember when every city couldn't wait to build one of those REALLY crappy general purpose stadiums like Pittsburgh and Cincy only to bulldoze them about half way through their life cycle and build much nicer single use facilities?

??????????

The new facilities that replaced those are much better than either the old stadiums or the multipurpose ones. In baseball, the new places are fan friendly, have modern amenities, and the field is smaller allowing more runs. It makes a boring game a bit more exciting. Not much, but a bit more. Maybe if they bulldoze Rockingham a new housing development can go in bringing a ROI for the developer and the banks (if they are involved).

The old exists in your mind. The track was bought by new owners and never became profitable. NASCAR going back there isn't gonna happen. The tracks that have races aren't going to give one up. Also, I posted they should half the schedule and make the races shorter in time. I doubt either will happen.
I don't disagree with you about the Rock, but I have always found a certain value in repeatedly telling someone what a huge mistake they made until they are forced to come to terms with it. Also, if I'm doing something that worked very well and then suddenly it doesn't, the first thing I do is go back and look at what I was doing when it DID work. thus, talking about Rockingham serves two purposes in my mind.

Back
Top Bottom