Tyler Dippel Suspended from NASCAR

Yes, but somebody DID claim it, and in my book there is a BIG difference between prescribed drugs and illegal drugs.
Irrelevant.

The list of banned substances is relevant, irrespective of whether or not said substances are prescribed or illegal.

Which is exactly WHY they should have let the police investigation play out further before issuing the suspension. This was done for public relations, and nothing else.
They didn't wait.

I'd guess they know their member better than we do.

Which is exactly WHY they should have let the police investigation play out further before issuing the suspension. This was done for public relations, and nothing else.
nonsense, there are multiple reasons for doing so all of them good where reckless driving and drugs that aren't accounted for. While you were sleeping, prescription drugs are at epidemic proportions

Well evidently between Monday and Thursday, NASCAR must have solved these problems, because they decided a suspension wasn't warranted. Tyler Dippel won't be behind the wheel of a NASCAR vehicle until September 13th when track opens for practice, so there was no need to rush out and make a rash decision, other than PR reasons.

It doesnt make you a drug user, BUT it makes you a suspect so suspending him was the right thing to do as was reinstating him when the matter was cleared.
But where is the line drawn? Kurt was suspended because of an accusation, what if a female claims Kyle attacked them on Monday before Championship weekend and he is one of the four eligible? Almost daily people lose their job and credibility because of an accusation.

Last edited:
Well evidently between Monday and Thursday, NASCAR must have solved these problems, because they decided a suspension wasn't warranted. Tyler Dippel won't be behind the wheel of a NASCAR vehicle until September 13th when track opens for practice, so there was no need to rush out and make a rash decision, other than PR reasons.
Might help ya to read the rules..probably not, but some might be interested
EDGbwThXkAAvcvV.jpg:large

You’re a funny guy. If speeding in a civilian vehicle was a violation of NASCAR policy, Kyle Busch would have sat out an entire season for his alleged 160 mph ride through Charlotte on a civilian road. Nice try.
I wasn't aware I was trying anything.

I recall Kurt Busch getting his knuckles rapped for given an Arizona sheriff a hard time. Wasn't a lower tier driver suspended a few years ago for speeding out of Vegas on I-15? But hey, I have a hard time remembering what happened at Bristol.

Might help ya to read the rules..probably not, but some might be interested
EDGbwThXkAAvcvV.jpg:large

OK, if NASCAR felt so strongly about this on Monday, why didn't they feel strongly about this on Wednesday when they dropped the suspension? One has to conclude that the suspension was based solely on the arrest report, and as soon as that fell apart, NASCAR was left with nothing. Right there the rule book says NASCAR will not pre-judge guilt or innocence, and that they will review each case in it's own context. It appears to me that they DID pre-judge, and that they weren't interested in the context of the situation.

I agree but you know how these things get when they lawyer up, I believe even Tim Richmond got a temporary reinstatement.
there is a lot of money behind some of these drivers and they can keep it up in the air until they retire it seems. They would laugh at the drug testing or other behaviors. We see it all the time in stick n ball, from high school on up. Had a kid colecock a girl, broke her jaw right on camera. In Nascar he would be gone instead of a slap on the hands and in the game next week. Shoot first and ask questions later.

You say that as if it wasn't a valid reason.

When you are talking about someone's career, I don't think being able to thump your chest and tell everyone how tough you are on drugs is a good enough reason, especially when there is no evidence the person ever USED drugs.

When you are talking about someone's career, I don't think being able to thump your chest and tell everyone how tough you are on drugs is a good enough reason, especially when there is no evidence the person ever USED drugs.
you still don't get it. Didn't read the rules I guess. BTW after it all came out as quickly as he was banned, he was reinstated. Ever heard of 'we own the bat the ball and the stadium"? AND the rule book. It's your opinion who looks stupid, I have mine on this subject.

there is a lot of money behind some of these drivers and they can keep it up in the air until they retire it seems. They would laugh at the drug testing or other behaviors. We see it all the time in stick n ball, from high school on up. Had a kid colecock a girl, broke her jaw right on camera. In Nascar he would be gone instead of a slap on the hands and in the game next week. Shoot first and ask questions later.

In the "modern era" of NASCAR drug testing, I can't recall one single person being able to delay their suspension or overturn it. If there had been any actual evidence that a crime was committed here, then we may well have a different situation, but obviously there was no evidence.

you still don't get it. Didn't read the rules I guess. BTW after it all came out as quickly as he was banned, he was reinstated. Ever heard of 'we own the bat the ball and the stadium"? AND the rule book. It's your opinion who looks stupid, I have mine on this subject.

Yes, NASCAR has the absolute power, as they SHOULD, but with that power also comes the obligation to use it responsibly. They failed in this case, just as they did with Kurt Busch.

In the "modern era" of NASCAR drug testing, I can't recall one single person being able to delay their suspension or overturn it. If there had been any actual evidence that a crime was committed here, then we may well have a different situation, but obviously there was no evidence.
ya keep bringing this up. why don't you go back and read the rules. It isn't about that.

I read the rules, I even quoted part of it back to you. Just explain to me what the value was to NASCAR to issue the suspension on Monday, instead of today or next week or a month from now when the situation would be more clear? What was so damn important about this incident that there wasn't time to let the situation clarify itself a little?

I read the rules, I even quoted part of it back to you. Just explain to me what the value was to NASCAR to issue the suspension on Monday, instead of today or next week or a month from now when the situation would be more clear? What was so damn important about this incident that there wasn't time to let the situation clarify itself a little?
what is so important that they didn't, your opinion? Dippel gets arrested for 20 over a charge in itself can be jail time in many states, reckless driving on top of it, riding dirty with both individuals telling different stories? Why don't ya 20 02 hindsight the police for jumping the gun in the first place. SMH

The fact that they had to rescind the suspension two days later tells me NASCAR didn't do their homework first, they just reacted to a headline. The police HAVE to assume the worst in situations like this, NASCAR doesn't. 20 MPH over the limit and changing lanes without signaling? Hell, I've probably done those a couple of time this WEEK. Riding dirty? A prescription drug in a backpack that doesn't belong to either person in the vehicle and a clean drug test. That's about as thin as it gets. The reason that this is important is because in a business like racing, perception and first impressions go a LONG way. People will remember that Dippel was suspended. They are a lot LESS likely to remember that it was rescinded two days later.

I believe they will remember he was arrested. And you have said the other a hundred times. But the rules say different regardless.

The fact that they had to rescind the suspension two days later tells me NASCAR didn't do their homework first, they just reacted to a headline. The police HAVE to assume the worst in situations like this, NASCAR doesn't. 20 MPH over the limit and changing lanes without signaling? Hell, I've probably done those a couple of time this WEEK. Riding dirty? A prescription drug in a backpack that doesn't belong to either person in the vehicle and a clean drug test. That's about as thin as it gets. The reason that this is important is because in a business like racing, perception and first impressions go a LONG way. People will remember that Dippel was suspended. They are a lot LESS likely to remember that it was rescinded two days later.
It clearly states in the rules you can be suspended if you are CHARGRED. He was Charged, he was suspended then after evidence came to lightand the charges dismissed he was reinstated. Its NASCARS yard, you will abide by the rules or be gone.

It clearly states in the rules you can be suspended if you are CHARGRED. He was Charged, he was suspended then after evidence came to lightand the charges dismissed he was reinstated. Its NASCARS yard, you will abide by the rules or be gone.

that will never do for the shoulda's woulda's and coulda's. Armed with 20 20 hindsight and righteous indignation they flail away at everything WRONG after it happens.:D

I believe that was a preliminary charge, and preliminary charges get dropped or modified as often as not. My point is that the basic facts of the situation were known from the get-go, (speeding, illegal lane change, possession of a prescribed drug not on his person, and the claim that it belonged to someone else. The ONLY thing that changed over the course of this situation was the affidavit that the prescription indeed DID belong to somebody else and that that that person put it in the truck. NASCAR could have made a phone call and known just as much. There was just NO REASON to jump the gun on this and then have to rescind it. Dippel wasn't going to be racing (for NASCAR anyway) for more than two weeks, and there was PLENTY of time to make a more informed and balanced decision. And once again SOI, I was complaining about this BEFORE the charges were dropped and BEFORE the suspension was lifted, so I don't understand the 20/20 hindsight charge at all. Was NASCAR within their rights, yes, but that doesn't make it RIGHT, and there was simply NOTHING to be gained by issuing the suspension when they did instead of waiting a few days and letting the situation mature.

If you get stopped, it doesn’t make the news and your ‘boss’ doesn’t have to answer questions from his or your sponsors.

It is the current way of the world...guilty until proven innocent...just read the mainstream media.

If you get stopped, it doesn’t make the news and your ‘boss’ doesn’t have to answer questions from his or your sponsors.

yep and the gorilla in the room Nascar itself that wrote the rulebook. They can ban or re-instate for just cause...theirs.

There was just NO REASON to jump the gun on this and then have to rescind it. Dippel wasn't going to be racing (for NASCAR anyway) for more than two weeks, and there was PLENTY of time to make a more informed and balanced decision.
You are conveniently ignoring the race at Mosport last Sunday, which Dipple was entered to race. Also, your first comment in this thread was posted after the charges were dropped, so the observation that you are dealing with 20:20 hindsight is apt, IMO.

Sunday August 18... Dipple is arrested and charged with a drug crime. Nascar is notified of the situation.

Friday August 23... Nascar's suspension of Dipple is announced publicly.

Sunday August 25... Truck race at Mosport.

Monday August 26... Pockrass and others report publicly on the nature of the charges.

Tuesday August 27... Additional evidence pointing toward Dipple's innocence is published by DirtTrackDigest.com

Wednesday August 28... The prosecutor drops charges, verifies sworn affidavit from owner of the backpack and the clear drug test taken after the arrest.

Wednesday August 28... Nascar lifts suspension and reinstates Dipple.

Summary: Busted > Suspended > Cleared > Reinstated

I don't see a problem with Nascar's actions in this sequence of events. The alternative of having a driver on track while facing drug charges is is completely unacceptable, IMO. If anyone was over-zealous, I'd say the NY State Trooper was over-zealous in this case.

What if a driver was actually guilty but his lawyers kept delaying the trail and he continued to race under the influence?
He's not suggesting waiting for a guilty verdict in court. The man tested clean for drugs twice so where is the complaint???

It doesnt make you a drug user, BUT it makes you a suspect so suspending him was the right thing to do as was reinstating him when the matter was cleared.
Guilty as suspected until you prove it is false? bull****

He's not suggesting waiting for a guilty verdict in court. The man tested clean for drugs twice so where is the complaint???
Its in the rules, evidently he has been causing trouble for several weeks now and was on watch

Also guilty.

Rather than ask for mercy, I will double down ... I would be surprised if NASCAR didn't have a file on the young man before this event occurred.

They did. Apparently he had a reckless driving charge from I believe March.. Which means he was definitely on the gas or doing burnouts or something equally dumb. I think he's on NASCAR probation.

Back
Top Bottom