Watkins Glen Pre-Race thread

The glen is definitely better than Sonoma.

Alot more places to pass and really a fast track. The section where the chicane is the most fun to watch. You come in there so fast. I believe that is the fastest part of the track.

My prediction is that Kyle Busch will win. On a hot streak and great at WG.

BQ7aspzCQAAiG7O.jpg:large

BQXlgtbCIAApDz9.jpg:large

Nice.

I'm sure that there will be many on here to trash that show now. This jort/croc wearing redneck likes that show. I'm sure that's not a surprise to anyone I'm sure. Funny as heck IMO. NASCAR wishes they had the following that these guys do. ;)

Some random WG stats

Danica Patrick will become the 2nd female driver to start a #NASCAR Sprint Cup race at WGI, joining Patty Moise who raced there in 1987-88.

Closest margin of victory (MOV) in the NASCAR Sprint Cup at WGI was the 2001 race won by Jeff Gordon over Jeff Burton w/a MOV of 0.172 sec.

Six NSCS drivers have a pre-race Driver Rating above 100.0 at WGI: Stewart, Ambrose, Montoya, KyBusch, Johnson and Keselowski.

Only 13 active drivers have 10 or more starts at WGI and Tony Stewart has the best Avg. Finish of them at 7.9

Max Papis will be driving the No. 14 this week. He has made 3 NSCS starts at WGI posting 1 top10 and an Average Finish of 24.3

Jeff Gordon leads all active drivers in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series in laps led at Watkins Glen with 233 laps led in 20 starts.

Marcos Ambrose leads all active drivers in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series in average finishing position at Watkins Glen with a 2.0.

18 drivers have Coors Light poles at Watkins Glen, led by NASCAR HOFer Dale Earnhardt and MarkMartin with three each.

Is qualifying important? None of the NASCAR Sprint Cup races at Watkins Glen have been won from a starting position outside the top 20

Today is the day DPs always started this thread, I like it like that, replaces the middle of the week doldrums.

Friday
tstorms.gif
Mostly cloudy with thunderstorms and rain showers. High of 79F. Winds from the South at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50% with rainfall amounts near 0.4 in. possible.
Friday Night
nt_chancerain.gif
Partly cloudy with a chance of rain in the evening, then clear with a chance of rain. Low of 57F. Winds from the WNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30% with rainfall amounts near 0.4 in. possible.

Hourly Forecast6AM12 Noon6PM12 Midnight
Temp. | Dew Point 71 | 63 72 | 63 76 | 64 64 | 58
Wind 3 mph East 5 mph SSE 7 mph SW 2 mph North
Humidity 78% 75% 68% 81%
Chance of Precip. 40% 50% 50% 10%
Cloud Cover 80% 82% 74% 3%
Conditions Thunderstorm Thunderstorm Thunderstorm Clear
Sunrise & Sunset
6:08 AM
8:16 PM

Descriptive Forecast
Saturday
chancerain.gif
Clear with a chance of rain. High of 75F. Winds from the NW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
Saturday Night
nt_partlycloudy.gif
Overcast in the evening, then partly cloudy. Low of 48F. Winds less than 5 mph.

Temp. | Dew Point 63 | 60 70 | 58 71 | 58 60 | 46
Wind 4 mph WNW 7 mph NW 7 mph NNW 3 mph NNW
Humidity 92% 65% 61% 61%
Chance of Precip. 30% 10% 10% 0%
Cloud Cover 6% 1% 1% 96%
Conditions Chance of Rain Clear Clear Overcast
Sunrise & Sunset
6:09 AM
8:15 PM

Descriptive Forecast
Sunday
partlycloudy.gif
Clear in the morning, then overcast. High of 79F. Winds less than 5 mph.
Sunday Night
nt_partlycloudy.gif
Partly cloudy. Low of 52F. Winds less than 5 mph.

Temp. | Dew Point 52 | 45 70 | 55 71 | 56 60 | 47
Wind 1 mph West 2 mph WNW 7 mph North 3 mph NNW
Humidity 76% 59% 55% 62%
Chance of Precip. 0% 0% 0% 0%
Cloud Cover 0% 6% 97% 48%
Conditions Clear Clear Overcast Partly Cloudy
Sunrise & Sunset
6:10 AM
8:14 PM

Odds to win the 2013 Cheez-It 355 at The Glen (8/11/13)
Driver Odds
Marcos Ambrose 4/1
Juan Montoya 7/1
Kurt Busch 7/1
Kyle Busch 7/1
Jeff Gordon 8/1
Jimmie Johnson 8/1
Field (Any Other Driver) 9/1
Brad Keselowski 10/1
Kevin Harvick 15/1
Clint Bowyer 18/1
Martin Truex Jr. 20/1
Kasey Kahne 20/1
Ryan Newman 30/1
Greg Biffle 30/1
Joey Logano 30/1
Carl Edwards 30/1
Denny Hamlin 40/1
Jamie McMurray 40/1
Matt Kenseth 50/1
Brian Vickers 60/1
Paul Menard 60/1
AJ Allmendinger 75/1
Danica Patrick 100/1
Dale Earnhardt Jr. 100/1
Ron Fellows 100/1
Aric Almirola 100/1
Jeff Burton 100/1
Boris Said
100/1

I thought Max may get a little love under those odds but I guess not. Apparently he's been relagated to 'field'. It'll be interesting to see what he can do in that quality ride this weekend. Little doubt that Tony would have been running somewhere up near the front of Sunday's event.

Papis told FOXSports.com on Tuesday morning if given the opportunity to drive Stewart’s car, “it would be a dream come true.”
Papis, 43, competed in seven Formula One races before moving to Champ Car where the Como, Italy, native won three races and enjoyed 11 podium finishes in eight seasons. Two of his victories were on road courses – Portland and Laguna Seca.
"Mad Max" has participated for 16 seasons in NASCAR’s Grand-Am Rolex Sport Car Series. His most recent of seven career wins was earned in the GT Class of the Brickyard Grand Prix on July 26 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Papis has 35 starts in the Sprint Cup Series. His career-high eighth-place finish came at Watkins Glen in 2009. Papis also has three top fives in the Nationwide Series, most recently at Elkhart Lake in June when he finished fourth in a Richard Childress Racing Camaro. His only full season of NASCAR competition came in the Truck series for Germain Racing. He finished 10th at Martinsville Speedway and Talladega Superspeedway, and wound up 18th in the standings.
Last Tuesday, Papis tested at Road Atlanta for Stewart-Haas Racing. He shook down the No. 14 Chevy at the one-day test.
This is what I'm doing today @RoadAtlanta for @StewartHaasRcng
July 30, 2013
Papis will pull double duty this weekend. He is also competing in the Grand-Am Rolex Sport Car Series at Mid-Ohio. That race is scheduled for Saturday afternoon.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/sto...eg-watkins-glen-sprint-cup-race-080613#!ht6wy

If you watched the first clip at the beginning of this post, the finish of the 2012 race, this clip is the finish the year before, 2011. Amazing the similarities..the same players are involved, Kyle is out front, Ambrose and Kez do pretty much the same thing, and Smoke spins out.

Here is the last year's re-posted for comparison. Uncanny how close they are to being the same.

Ambrose simply rammed Kez out of the way last year. I think Kez was way too gentle on the payback, and then backed off when Ambrose came across his front end in the last turn. I would have stayed on the gas and let Ambrose spin himself.

I thought Max may get a little love under those odds but I guess not. Apparently he's been relagated to 'field'. It'll be interesting to see what he can do in that quality ride this weekend. Little doubt that Tony would have been running somewhere up near the front of Sunday's event.
9 to 1 is pretty good odds though, especially for a ringers first time in a quality ride.

Ambrose simply rammed Kez out of the way last year. I think Kez was way too gentle on the payback, and then backed off when Ambrose came across his front end in the last turn. I would have stayed on the gas and let Ambrose spin himself.
Both years it looks like Kez let him have it when he could have roughed him up. The one that gets me is Kyle was leading both races at the end and he got beat, that has got to twist him up.:)

Papis is the one who slapped Billy Johnson and caused a big wadding of bloomers, correct?

I predict that he'll will be P.E. #1 after Watkins Glen for both fans and drivers alike.

I'm a broke college student with little to no friends who enjoy NASCAR as much as I do :( hahaha

Me too! I live close to Talladega and close enough to Bristol to make a one-day trip. My dad can't go at the moment because of medical issues, but I'd love to go to either one some day when he gets better. Hopefully by next year.

Both years it looks like Kez let him have it when he could have roughed him up. The one that gets me is Kyle was leading both races at the end and he got beat, that has got to twist him up.:)

Kez wussed out both times, especially last year. Ambrose' in car shows he nailed the gas and rammed him. Just today Marcos did an interview and said he thought Brad couldn't get mad about it because of what happened with Kyle. Drivers can justify just about anything, so Kez has that in his pocket this week.

you can call it wussed, I call it smart. He was protecting his lead in the points last year. Nothing worse than seeing the finish line and being wadded up in the wall. Take a 2nd. Hornish? I won't be surprised if he leads a bunch of laps and does something stupid and ends up crashed.

Always make time to watch the RC races. The most exciting racing other then the plates.

I've never watched a NASCAR race at this track, looks like a good track for these cars with the faster corners than Sonoma was. I love the roar of those cars, and I see GoDaddy banners everywhere.

PS- that was a DUMB move by Kyle and one hell of a final lap on that race.

Back
Top Bottom