Watkins Glen Pre-Race thread

Kez wussed out both times, especially last year. Ambrose' in car shows he nailed the gas and rammed him. Just today Marcos did an interview and said he thought Brad couldn't get mad about it because of what happened with Kyle. Drivers can justify just about anything, so Kez has that in his pocket this week.

Geeze FB, hows that Ambrose voodoo doll of yours going... run out of pins yet! Your comments on Ambrose makes your views on him clear... and thats fine... its what living in a demoracy is about. But rammed him, c'mon those two cars were slipping and sliding and there was one car that got better drive at that part of the track, bumped him... sure..... was light and could have been alot more. And then the 2nd last corner... do you not think that there was a bump which sent Ambrose out so wide...and again .. that could have been more, which as it worked out possibly provided better traction anyway. Then you mention that Kez should have rammed him in the last turn. Kez was on the gas which can been seen with the overster coming out of the turn.

Regardless of who won.... that was a great last 2 laps from these guys with some driving respect all round. But hey... what would I know... out toilets flush backwards!

52 seconds. Ambrose gasses up and rams him. It's clear as day, and so is the reaction of the #2 car. I like Ambrose, but he himself said he did just that. Kez wussed out on the payback and lost the race.

Kes won the championship I don't think he gives two ****s about the 2012 Glen

He sure hasn't forgotten getting pawned out of a win by Ambrose 2 years in a row. Just something I'll be watching for. Kez won't do anything crazy, but I'm thinking he'll be more prepared this time.

I wish WG had more laps. Not too many more, but more than it has now.

I think 90 laps is good enough.

Adding more laps would be purely for entertainment purposes. In terms of proving yourself 90 laps is sufficient enough laps to prove you have the fastest car even if you spin out and have to come from the back.

This track allows for a few mistakes to be made.

With Stewart out it will be weird for me. Guess Harvick will get the bump up to #1 driver until Tony returns.

Geeze FB, hows that Ambrose voodoo doll of yours going... run out of pins yet! Your comments on Ambrose makes your views on him clear... and thats fine... its what living in a demoracy is about. But rammed him, c'mon those two cars were slipping and sliding and there was one car that got better drive at that part of the track, bumped him... sure..... was light and could have been alot more. And then the 2nd last corner... do you not think that there was a bump which sent Ambrose out so wide...and again .. that could have been more, which as it worked out possibly provided better traction anyway. Then you mention that Kez should have rammed him in the last turn. Kez was on the gas which can been seen with the overster coming out of the turn.

Regardless of who won.... that was a great last 2 laps from these guys with some driving respect all round. But hey... what would I know... out toilets flush backwards!

What about bed spins?

This^

Where's the weekly schedule DP, you usually put it up on Wednesday.

52 seconds. Ambrose gasses up and rams him. It's clear as day, and so is the reaction of the #2 car. I like Ambrose, but he himself said he did just that. Kez wussed out on the payback and lost the race.
Still.. my original point was the move from 2011 is the one Kez put on him coming to the white flag in 2012. Then on the white flag lap 2012 ambrose used a different move (swinging it out wide to get the big run off the corner instead of driving under him) to get by Kez.. If we end up with similar closing laps as the last 2 years Ill be watching for Brad to use the same move Ambrose did. As far as Brad "wussing out on the payback".. he's wants to race clean. He bumped him in return but didn't dump him because Im sure he would rather have raced back to the line, win or lose.

When do you go back to school Bread so you can point some of this pent up energy in a positive direction. :cool:

Where's the weekly schedule DP, you usually put it up on Wednesday.
Date
Event
Time
Radio/TV
FRI 8/9
Sprint Cup Series Practice
12:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.
SPEED

Nationwide Series Final Practice
1:40 p.m. - 3:50 p.m.
SPEED

Sprint Cup Series Final Practice
4:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
SPEED
SAT 8/10
Nationwide Qualifying
9:35 a.m.

Sprint Cup Qualifying
11:40 a.m.

Radio Pre-Race
1:45 p.m.
MRN

TV Pre-Race
2:00 p.m.
ABC

Nationwide Series Zippo 200 at The Glen
2:15 p.m.
MRN/ABC
SUN 8/11
Radio Pre-Race
12:00 p.m.
MRN

TV Pre-Race
1:00 p.m.
ESPN

Sprint Cup Series Cheez-It 355 at The Glen
1:00 p.m.
MRN/ESPN

Hopefully we see a good finish without oil all over the track.
Oil, no oil. Whatever it takes. It's kinda funny though. I remember call after call to NASCAR Radio after last year's Glen run with fan's asking for them to start placing oil on the track in the closing laps of all the races. I think they were joking...... but, then again, these are NASCAR fans. :rolleyes:

From that video it looked like Brad failed to negotiate that corner and didn't want to drive wide and you clearly hear Ambrose stomping on the gas pedal to try and keep up to him and decided to just keep going when Brad slowed down.

From that video it looked like Brad failed to negotiate that corner and didn't want to drive wide and you clearly hear Ambrose stomping on the gas pedal to try and keep up to him and decided to just keep going when Brad slowed down.
There was oil on the track from Labonte's car that had a slow oil leak, so although it looks like Ambrose did that on purpose, Brad was spinning his tires in the oil. If you watch the whole video, some of the drivers figured it out and started running out of the preferred line, others didn't and spun out. Pretty cool finish if ya ask me.

Still.. my original point was the move from 2011 is the one Kez put on him coming to the white flag in 2012. Then on the white flag lap 2012 ambrose used a different move (swinging it out wide to get the big run off the corner instead of driving under him) to get by Kez.. If we end up with similar closing laps as the last 2 years Ill be watching for Brad to use the same move Ambrose did. As far as Brad "wussing out on the payback".. he's wants to race clean. He bumped him in return but didn't dump him because Im sure he would rather have raced back to the line, win or lose.

you seem a little confused. In 2011, Ambrose bumped Kez in the carousel to take the lead, and then won when it started raining.

In 2012, Ambrose slid outside in the carousel because of the oil.

The wuss out came when Kez eased up and let Ambrose brake check him entering the 2nd to last turn. Ambrose hitting Kez hard enough to turn him out of the lane just seconds ago surely warranted more than a tap going into the next turn.

Kez likes contact, which some guys call dirty racing, but he doesn't like intentional wrecking. Unfortunately, too many drivers and nascar fans equate a bump and run wrecking someone.

you seem a little confused. In 2011, Ambrose bumped Kez in the carousel to take the lead, and then won when it started raining.

In 2012, Ambrose slid outside in the carousel because of the oil.

The wuss out came when Kez eased up and let Ambrose brake check him entering the 2nd to last turn. Ambrose hitting Kez hard enough to turn him out of the lane just seconds ago surely warranted more than a tap going into the next turn.

Kez likes contact, which some guys call dirty racing, but he doesn't like intentional wrecking. Unfortunately, too many drivers and nascar fans equate a bump and run wrecking someone.
I duno.. I didn't really think about the oil. But I kinda don't think Ambrose tried to bump him, maybe he slid up bc of the oil but he got grip somewhere.. more than Kez anyway... With the amount of speed he had I don't think he could get out of the way. If he had a choice Id think he would have just flown around him.. Maybe Ive watched it too many times clearly its not as easy to think of all that while driving on the final lap of a race with oil all over the track.. that huge bump from Ambrose always seemed unintentional.. or just stupid.. if he didn't hit him coming out of the carousel he would probably have had a 2 second lead going into the final 2 turns.

There was oil on the track from Labonte's car that had a slow oil leak, so although it looks like Ambrose did that on purpose, Brad was spinning his tires in the oil. If you watch the whole video, some of the drivers figured it out and started running out of the preferred line, others didn't and spun out. Pretty cool finish if ya ask me.

:rolleyes:You're forgetting that Ambrose said he nailed him because he figured he couldn't complain after the contact with Kyle.

Why are you guys so defensive about a guy racing the way nascar is supposed to be raced? If a slow guy slides into your lane and blocks your progress, ram him out of the way and hope he doesn't get back to you. Ambrose deserved to win that race because he figured out what was going on and started running an inside out racing line.

All I'm saying is Kez could have bumped Ambrose a whole lot harder, but he wussed out.

School? LOL Uhhh how about 2005? You think Im a kid? While Im probably not as old as some of you I am almost 30...
I thought you said you were in Post Graduate School in college, musta been someone else.

Just finished watching last years race at The Glen, Gordon and Ambrose are my picks you cant bet against Ambrose at the Glen, Gordon ran well in Sonoma and coming off his second in Pocono he has momentum ..

Anyone else feel like this years WG is going to be to a bit of a disappointment due to all the hype about last year? Ill enjoy every lap but I don't see it playing out like that ever again.

We'll be very lucky to see something like that happen again any time soon, but road courses are usually fun in general.

:rolleyes:You're forgetting that Ambrose said he nailed him because he figured he couldn't complain after the contact with Kyle.

Why are you guys so defensive about a guy racing the way nascar is supposed to be raced? If a slow guy slides into your lane and blocks your progress, ram him out of the way and hope he doesn't get back to you. Ambrose deserved to win that race because he figured out what was going on and started running an inside out racing line.

All I'm saying is Kez could have bumped Ambrose a whole lot harder, but he wussed out.

I'll agree to disagree, they were both sliding all over the track, what you call gassing it up to me was Ambrose was sideways and was carrying a lot of speed right before they went in car, he took off slow and waited until the revs came up..less torque, and right before he had to shift he gassed it up. Kez was fishtailing all over the place in front of him and wasn't getting any traction and didn't carry the speed Ambrose had going so BAM. I guess Kez could have nailed him in the rear. kinda doubt if he could without wrecking, Hard to out brake Ambrose. Busch was sleeping when Kez bumped him IMO. He had a pretty good line but he wasn't carrying the speed off like Kez had so BAM.

I'll agree to disagree, they were both sliding all over the track, what you call gassing it up to me was Ambrose was sideways and was carrying a lot of speed right before they went in car, he took off slow and waited until the revs came up..less torque, and right before he had to shift he gassed it up. Kez was fishtailing all over the place in front of him and wasn't getting any traction and didn't carry the speed Ambrose had going so BAM. I guess Kez could have nailed him in the rear. kinda doubt if he could without wrecking, Hard to out brake Ambrose. Busch was sleeping when Kez bumped him IMO. He had a pretty good line but he wasn't carrying the speed off like Kez had so BAM.

OK, you know what happened better than Marcos does. :rolleyes:

50 secs, with a sly smile "I gave him a shot there to clear him out of the way".

Now it's REALLY funny reading your "revs + torque and the precise shift moment caused the contact" theory. :biggrin:

Looks like you have a problem with anyone that has a differing opinion than you do to me, good luck with that. There are others that have voiced their opinions that didn't see it the way you did, and probably some that haven't commented yet that saw it the way you did.

Agree to disagree and move on fellas.

Who gets the pole Saturday? My money is on Gordon. Gotta ride that momentum while you have it.

Carl..yeah I know Carl. He beat Ambrose on a road course..last lap, last corner, Ambrose screwed up and he passed him. Blew my mind. Flip to about 4:10 and catch this finish.

No really, I think Marcos will be on point.

Carl..yeah I know Carl. He beat Ambrose on a road course..last lap, last corner, Ambrose screwed up and he passed him. Blew my mind. Flip to about 4:10 and catch this finish.

No really, I think Marcos will be on point.

I remember watching that. You cannot believe how pissed I was.

I remember watching that as well..... couldnt believe it. Made for a s h i t t y day since I was watching from something like 2:00am on a work day.

Since I am from 'down under' its not hard to guess who my driver is. I have moved on from last years race however I will say that it was a combo of good grip v's no grip, I have raced cars and driven on differing surfaces and conditions with huge power cars and things like that happen unbelievably quickly.. anyway...... I have have moved on.

Needless to say I hope that Marcos does well this weekend..... and would like to hope that he dosn't cop a bagging from the media or internet heros should the day not pan out well (for example is there any other track and any other driver in the series which basically has an expectation to win at a particular track). Actually I am sure that there is someone who will prove me wrong ....

As a fan I just enjoy the racing.... beats the hell out of watching golf or triathalon. I hope that Marcos does well (as I do every week) however if something balls up... I will still be there the following week cheering him however he does.

Considering he comes from a part of the world with no oval tracks and a road racing background, I think he's doing alright and still learning. We are just little fish wanting to play in the big pond.

Also... when I get bed spins...... they are clockwise.

I think 90 laps is good enough.

Adding more laps would be purely for entertainment purposes. In terms of proving yourself 90 laps is sufficient enough laps to prove you have the fastest car even if you spin out and have to come from the back.

This track allows for a few mistakes to be made.

I agree. It always seems to come down to fuel mileage since they pit the races backwards. If they made the race a shave longer, closer to a fuel window increment, it might take some of that out.

Anyone else feel like this years WG is going to be to a bit of a disappointment due to all the hype about last year? Ill enjoy every lap but I don't see it playing out like that ever again.

I'll enjoy the race too , but that's generally what we do here . Either we run down a race before it even starts because it's going to be 'boring' or we over hype it because it was great last year . Well racing ain't like that , circumstances dictate the racing , a fast car may get out and dominate . Thats just racin.

Back
Top Bottom