WEC 2024

I just wish they would set it and leave it alone.
They haven’t been to these tracks before and there’s still a learning curve with five new models this year. Different track characteristics will require different adjustments anyways.

IMSA has gotten to a point where they’re only making very adjustments, but that’s with only four different full-time models and returning to the same venues.

I know it's complex as hell, but I don't see any other way.
They tried that last year too, where they (iirc) changed it only twice, pre-Le Mans and post-Le Mans, and people got frustrated because the results weren’t to their liking. But they were gathering data with a consistent base and now that they have that, they can continue to tweak until they find the right balance with the new cars as well. And they have the unenviable task of balancing two different platforms, which IMSA doesn’t have to do.

I’m sure they’ll get to a place where it’s minor adjustments, if any, as well. It’ll just take a bit to get there.

it makes very little sense to me why the ELMS geoblocked the YouTube race stream in the States just to give it to another free streamer (SS1) with no playback or on-demand viewing capability. But it’s good to see crowds continue to grow in sports car series around the world. Pretty much a real solid Xfinity Series-level crowd for the opener at Barcelona…maybe they can get the replay up by the end of the week.

Just practice, but Toyota has a lot of ground to make up. It was fun to root against them (even if unsuccessful) but if they keep taking it in the chops it might be a good time to cheer for them.

The big surprise was the Lambo. Again, just practice, but it's nice we never know from week to week who is going to shine and who is going to suck.

Encouraging debut for the new Peugeot.

Anyone got a stream for Q?

Just practice, but Toyota has a lot of ground to make up. It was fun to root against them (even if unsuccessful) but if they keep taking it in the chops it might be a good time to cheer for them.

The big surprise was the Lambo. Again, just practice, but it's nice we never know from week to week who is going to shine and who is going to suck.

Encouraging debut for the new Peugeot.

Anyone got a stream for Q?
Qualifying and Race are moving to the MAX/Bleacher Report streaming service now…which is more than MT+ ever was. Frustrating. The series streams FP3 on YouTube though. And the opening/closing hours are still on the MT TV channel.

Ferrari still seem quick, but I think the gaps are much closer on race pace.

In P3 the Ferrari just barely pipped the two BMWs. it would be great to see them challenge.

Ferrari swept the top three spots in qualifying, I don’t think there’s any beating them this weekend.

Well, it's Italy, right?
Good thing is that there’s a fairly high chance of safety cars with a large multi-class field on such a tight track, and that should keep it interesting regardless.

Going to be a huge crowd of Tifosi there tomorrow for sure.

A few interesting things here: https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/jota-in-contention-for-2025-cadillac-hypercar-deal/

JOTA, which currently has primary sponsorship from U.S.-owned car rental giant Hertz with its pair of Porsche 963s,
What will happen to those cars? That could be a net loss of two cars.

Oh, please, please, please.
Hypercar manufacturers, meanwhile, are understood to be voting next month on whether to mandate two full-season cars per manufacturer in 2025, which if approved, would theoretically force Cadillac, as well as Lamborghini, to expand its operations in order to remain in the series.

A few interesting things here: https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/jota-in-contention-for-2025-cadillac-hypercar-deal/

What will happen to those cars? That could be a net loss of two cars.

Oh, please, please, please.
I’m sure there are a still a number of prospective Porsche customers who haven’t been able to get orders in due to supply who would be willing to buy them.

I think the proposed rule change is bad and unnecessary, but Cadillac were likely expanding to two cars next year anyways. And JOTA’s financial back from Hertz will help make that happen.

I’m sure there are a still a number of prospective Porsche customers who haven’t been able to get orders in due to supply who would be willing to buy them.
As long as we don't lose any cars I'll be happy.

I think the proposed rule change is bad and unnecessary, but Cadillac were likely expanding to two cars next year anyways. And JOTA’s financial back from Hertz will help make that happen.
Most of these manufacturers run two cars anyway. Running two cars is always an advantage. My thinking is if you're serious enough to race at this level, you should probably be serious enough to run two cars.

Most of these manufacturers run two cars anyway. Running two cars is always an advantage. My thinking is if you're serious enough to race at this level, you should probably be serious enough to run two cars.
I agree, I just don’t think it should be codified in the regulations. Cadillac have already found out the hard way how tough it is to go it alone with one car, but that’s partially predicated upon budget anyways. Same with Lamborghini - that isn’t a massively funded factory effort. Aston Martin next year was similarly supposed to be split 1 WEC/1 IMSA, and it’s not yet clear how the proposed rule change would affect that program. Would they move the IMSA entry to a mandated second WEC entry? I think it’s late in the game for them to ramp up to three full-time cars worldwide when they haven’t even really started testing the actual race model yet.

Speaking of Cadillac, I’m shocked how far off the pace the 2 has been this weekend…I thought they had a pretty good chance to run up front here after testing at Imola last year. Doesn’t seem like there’s anywhere obvious they’re struggling, just don’t have pace in general.

So Ferrari kept all three cars out on slicks for several laps while it started to rain and are running 6th-7th-8th as a consequence. This is gonna be a fun finish.

Speaking of Cadillac, I’m shocked how far off the pace the 2 has been this weekend…I thought they had a pretty good chance to run up front here after testing at Imola last year. Doesn’t seem like there’s anywhere obvious they’re struggling, just don’t have pace in general.
It seems like it races better. Bamber especially has been pretty rapid in it.

I've only seen the last 20 minutes so far but will catch up tonight. Kobyashi made the difference.

I'm kind of glad the Toyota was ahead on the road. I wanted Porsche to win, but I don't think even if they got by they could make up the 5 second penalty. Better Toyota got there first instead of Porsche winning and then losing on a penalty. Toyota beat them straight up, so even if I would have rather the Porsche won, I was still satisfied with the result because Toyota earned it.

At this point Toyota can win even with a car that isn't fastest. Toyota has a decent car, but they also have probably the best team.

Really phenomenal drive by Kamui…traffic, defending, energy management. As good as it gets.

This one has got to sting for Ferrari. Fuoco was flying at the end. Best car in the dry by far, just botched the crossover point to wets when it started raining.

Really impressed by BMW today. 15 got wiped out at the start, but the 20 wound up 6th despite running through the gravel in the final hour, and Van der Linde was chasing down Hartley for a podium before that.

I've only seen the last 20 minutes so far but will catch up tonight. Kobyashi made the difference.

I'm kind of glad the Toyota was ahead on the road. I wanted Porsche to win, but I don't think even if they got by they could make up the 5 second penalty. Better Toyota got there first instead of Porsche winning and then losing on a penalty. Toyota beat them straight up, so even if I would have rather the Porsche won, I was still satisfied with the result because Toyota earned it.

At this point Toyota can win even with a car that isn't fastest. Toyota has a decent car, but they also have probably the best team.
For sure, Toyota solidified that they’re still the best team overall. Even on a weekend where they probably were third-quickest, they have arguably the best driver crews and the best pit strategy and execution.

BMW seems ready to break through every single race, but they never quite manage it.
I think they were phenomenal for only their second race in the series. Their WEC squad will probably prove to be a lot better than the IMSA effort - I rate WRT higher than RLL and I think all six drivers on the WEC side are better than any of the four IMSA full-timers.

20240421_221323.jpg

For sure, Toyota solidified that they’re still the best team overall. Even on a weekend where they probably were third-quickest, they have arguably the best driver crews and the best pit strategy and execution.
That and they have about a year and a half of development head start on the others, not even counting their LMP1 hybrid programs.
I think they were phenomenal for only their second race in the series. Their WEC squad will probably prove to be a lot better than the IMSA effort - I rate WRT higher than RLL and I think all six drivers on the WEC side are better than any of the four IMSA full-timers.
Remember BMW was leading the championship last year until Road America, where they crashed on the pace lap....twice. They aren't bad. They just haven't put it all together yet.

By the time I got around to watching the race I was so beat I passed out after about 30 minutes, but I did see enough to really enjoy it and I can catch up later today. The race was very competitive, maybe helped out by Ferrari blowing their tire strategy. I think otherwise they would have disappeared.

I've also found the Cadillac program disappointing. Thier car is fastest in IMSA, so it doesn't make sense they can't at least stay with the other LMDh. Maybe I am missing something, but We were all hoping for better.

Interesting. Tom Blomqvist will be at Road America for IndyCar on Le Mans test day, and as a Gold-rated driver he wouldn’t have the same dispensation to miss it as Dixon and Palou do. Would be a huge opportunity for Drugo; God knows his F1 ambitions aren’t going anywhere at Aston.

Interesting. Tom Blomqvist will be at Road America for IndyCar on Le Mans test day, and as a Gold-rated driver he wouldn’t have the same dispensation to miss it as Dixon and Palou do. Would be a huge opportunity for Drugo; God knows his F1 ambitions aren’t going anywhere at Aston.

Whew... This is about as good as any F1 seat atm.

I'm just happy to see Drugo racing.

Sportscars is now the hot bed for fresh new talent. If you look up and down the Grid, we probably have enough former Red Bull drivers to start another series! Almost everyone who couldn't make it to F1 can get a shot in WEC.

Back
Top Bottom