What do you think of Jimme Johnson?

furredracer88

Team Owner
With his final season coming up, I just thought that it would be interesting to see some people's thought on him? Do you see him as humble and wholesome? Do you seem as a giant douche? Lets hear it

A little milquetoast but a decent guy. Can't say I have as strong an opinion on him as say, KDB or Tony.

Under appreciated driver in terms of fan reaction and media coverage... I think he is the most under appreciated driver of his generation. I also think he was a huge recipient of the original Chase format, but others played by the same rules and he dominated all of them. I’ve grown to like Jimmie and will miss watching him compete in Cup...when it was Chase time it was amazing watching him work, I’ve said before in terms of sheer dominance and watching other competitors get in their own heads about him, Jimmie is the closest I’ve seen in NASCAR to Tiger Woods. Saying that, I’d still take Gordon over him as well as Earnhardt.

what do I think, I really really miss seeing him win races, I miss seeing chad run the team. I actually think they should have put chad with him for his last year. I hope they give him some good cars this year. hint why I made the corvette purchase post. it was driven by jimmie not being in competitive cars all year. I know the iroc package as I call it. massive downforce and low HP, isn't suited to jimmie's style. but jimmie also hasn't ran well and or had fast cars on other tracks he has ran well at that have basically the old rules package on them. in particular martinsville. it will be really sad to see jimmie go and will impact my enthusiasm to watch the sport in the future.

Before the dynasty, Jimmie had an attitude as if his **** didn't stink. There was this sense of almost juvenile California confidence that could have been interpreted as ****iness up until around 2008. Since he's seemed to become very PC in his NASCAR persona. But his fans and more can tell Jimmie is basically just a confident "California dude". Kept the likes of Harvick and Busch from winning more titles, and prevented Jeff Gordon from reaching GOAT status. Most clutch driver the sport has ever seen in terms of executing.

Jimmie won with 5th+ place cars and was able to pull an extra two tenths out of his ass so often that it's been taken for granted, now it's gloried with drivers who do it less.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

what do I think, I really really miss seeing him win races, I miss seeing chad run the team. I actually think they should have put chad with him for his last year. I hope they give him some good cars this year. hint why I made the corvette purchase post. it was driven by jimmie not being in competitive cars all year. I know the iroc package as I call it. massive downforce and low HP, isn't suited to jimmie's style. but jimmie also hasn't ran well and or had fast cars on other tracks he has ran well at that have basically the old rules package on them. in particular martinsville. it will be really sad to see jimmie go and will impact my enthusiasm to watch the sport in the future.
I heard Rick is gonna buy a new airplane, poor Jimmie.

Jimmy is one heck of a driver, perhaps not among the top 5 talents of all time but easily top 10. Was a beneficiary of a great team that was amazingly consistent, plus the Chase format. Despite those slight advantages, he stepped up in key situations for big wins or finishes that got him those 7 titles. Clutch performer for sure. By all accounts a great guy. He will be missed.

I've never rooted for him but he is undeniably one of the greats

7 Vanilla low-fat sugar-free yogurts out of Chad's kitchen.

boring, great substance but lacking flavor

Undeniably one of the all-time great drivers. imho

A few here.

“Rick Hendrick was a busy guy in the Arizona desert this weekend. The NASCAR team owner capped a nearly $4 million, two-day spending spree in Scottsdale on Saturday night with a winning bid of $500,000 to acquire the first production 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS, VIN No. 001.”

“Hendrick, who sports a collection of more than 200 cars at the Hendrick Motorsports campus in Concord, N.C., is an avid collector of cars with VIN No. 001. He already owned VIN No. 001 of the 2010 Camaro, 2011 Camaro convertible, 2014 Corvette and 2015 Corvette convertible, among others.”

https://www.foxsports.com/nascar/st...ackson-auction-drops-4-million-arizona-013116

A little off-topic there. Sorry about that ... sometimes I just can’t help myself.

JJ is one helluva racecar driver. That’s it ... that’s the post.

I considered JJ a very good driver with a very good team behind him. I also think he was very fortunate to have 7 titles. He was very lucky that the cars were the best at the tracks he was very good at. I doubt very much he would have been as successful had he had to run the "twisted sister" car during that period. The chase line up seems to have been designed for him.

I'm surprised "Wheels" hasn't been brought up, a mere 35 million. I guess he should have named it "I'm blowing Johnson's chances"

wp01d170ff_0a_06.jpg

He wrecked Jimmie's plane awhile back. That might have done it

upload_2020-1-25_19-39-11.png

upload_2020-1-25_19-41-29.png

The plane is registered to Jimmie Johnson Racing Inc. of Charlotte, N.C., and co-owned by Hendrick Motorsports and Johnson, the five-time defending NASCAR Sprint Cup champion

https://www.1800yachtcharters.com/rick-hendrick-superyacht-and-nascar-owner-injured-in-plane-crash/

After 19 years in Cup, I am still not sure how I feel about him. Maybe after 20 I will know. Not sarcasm this time.

Interesting.

In a current case, you knew before the driver even started.

Awesome to witness one of the greatest to ever do it.

I remember as a toddler seeing him on Speedworld (ESPN 2) killing it in the then CORR series. Then seeing him in the Xfinity series, then move to Cup.

Its going to be a bittersweet season when he retires, but we still have 36+ races to enjoy him.

One of my favorites. I didn't see him as being one of my favorites within my first year or two of paying attention to NASCAR, but he quickly grew on me. Even as a kid, I couldn't bring myself to hate on a guy that won a lot and seemed like a cool dude off of the track as well. Vanilla personality? Pssht. His driving sure wasn't. I will miss rooting for the 48, but I'm counting on him to claw back a few more victories before he rides off into the sunset.

I remember the board getting aggravated with me when I was pointing out his decline prior to the playoffs in 2017. I wasn't saying it out of spite for the guy, it was more of the fact that I had followed him for years and noticed something didn't seem right with how he was going about at the time. I never imagined it would become a two year and some slump. Hopefully he can beat the Pocono crash theory and show us why he's been so revered. Let's go, Jimmie! It wouldn't be a proper Jimmie Johnson bow out without ya having a few tricks up your sleeve!

One of my favorites. I didn't see him as being one of my favorites within my first year or two of paying attention to NASCAR, but he quickly grew on me. Even as a kid, I couldn't bring myself to hate on a guy that won a lot and seemed like a cool dude off of the track as well. Vanilla personality? Pssht. His driving sure wasn't. I will miss rooting for the 48, but I'm counting on him to claw back a few more victories before he rides off into the sunset.

I remember the board getting aggravated with me when I was pointing out his decline prior to the playoffs in 2017. I wasn't saying it out of spite for the guy, it was more of the fact that I had followed him for years and noticed something didn't seem right with how he was going about at the time. I never imagined it would become a two year and some slump. Hopefully he can beat the Pocono crash theory and show us why he's been so revered. Let's go, Jimmie! It wouldn't be a proper Jimmie Johnson bow out without ya having a few tricks up your sleeve!
However unlikely, Jimmie going out winning 7+ races and the title would be the most Jimmie Johnson thing ever.

Big time all time driver (GOAT even?), not much of a character (but really how could he compete with Tony Stewart for that?), and most likely the last 7 time champion.

All that said, I'd love to sit with him and his buddy Lance tossing back tequila shots and telling war stories.

I remember growing up during his reign of terror and couldnt stand him. Looking back I'm grateful I was a fan during the most dominant run of the modern era and getting to watch him win 7 championships. I'd love to see him have a stellar last year and I would be okay with him winning an 8th.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jimmie Johnson expresses interest to race in IndyCar during COTA testing | Motorsports on NBC

I'v Saw this post about Jimmie's driving style by poster. Jimmie's talent behind the wheel may be the most underrated aspect of his success.

FenderBumper hit the nail on the head here. Jimmie truly had the best car control and could wheel a loose car better than anyone else in his prime, I think it's easier to think that Jimmie was a great driver in a great system who didn't quite have the talent of a Kyle Busch / Stewart because he's so boring. But the fact is, for a decade of his prime, for framework, you had a driver with

- The raw talent of Kyle Busch
-The ability to find that extra tenth
- specifically better car control/throttle control when it came to wheeling a loose car to find speed at apex
- The confidence of Tom Brady/the same psychological advantage on the field

Who had the best crew chief in the business driving for the best organization in the business. The result is 83 wins and 7 titles against 3 of the greatest 10 drivers of all time.

Truex/Pearn, Harvick/Childers, Busch/Stevens all have the best teams today with the best equipment and CC's. There's a reason none of those guys have had a 5 year string of success comparable. The difference maker there was Jimmie. Somehow, his talent has become underrated.
c6f08e7ab9956e8f652ff1c6975b2d02.jpg

It’s weird how a seven-time champ can be underrated but he managed it. Extra credit for managing not to be an ass-hat like some of his most fierce competitors.

One of the all-timers who stunted the careers of some very good drivers, which at times just turbo-charged their ass-hattery.

I am not a fan but respect what he has accomplished. I also think he would not have more than 2 championships if not for Knaus.

How many of Jimmie's cars were "Chaded" up??? Just asking....

How many of Jimmie's cars were "Chaded" up??? Just asking....

Given the fact that's Chad Knaus's penchant for rule breaking has taken on an urban legend life of its own (I'll contend he's been caught less often than some of his contemporaries ) and the fact that with every new season it has become more and more difficult to get away with things, and the potential for gains have gotten so much smaller, I'll go out on a limb and say out of ALL the drivers that have 60+ wins, Jimmie probably has won the FEWEST races in cheated up cars. Now granted, this is based on the fact that no car that has ever won a race was 100% legal, and I'm drawing a distinction between normal garden variety cheating and blatant cheating.

Back
Top Bottom