What do you think of the NextGen Car?

I can remember when 80,000 fans stood up and cheered when a wrecked race car was reconfigured in the pits, and then made it back on the track many laps down.

We do not see that anymore.... they get a flat tire and get towed to the garage.
...which is a good thing IMO. No more debris cautions for destroyed cars running 50 laps down.

For your information and edification ...

“If the impact is severe enough, something has to absorb the energy of the blow. By design, that something is the toe link.”

"Your average passenger car’s tires all stand at a 90-degree angle to the ground, which is optimal for city and highway driving. However, stock cars must perform optimally on banked tracks, which requires setting wheels at an angle to keep as much of the rubber as possible flush with the road.

Teams make that adjustment via the toe link, a rod that connects the rear hub assembly with the upper control arm."

Do you agree with any or all this?
And if so, could you explain to the rest of us?

This seems to me to be a pretty UNedumacated entry into the DNF discussion.

"Your average passenger car’s tires all stand at a 90-degree angle to the ground, which is optimal for city and highway driving. However, stock cars must perform optimally on banked tracks, which requires setting wheels at an angle to keep as much of the rubber as possible flush with the road.

Teams make that adjustment via the toe link, a rod that connects the rear hub assembly with the upper control arm."

It's called a "toe" link, you know set the toe?
Toe is one of the adjustments a team can make to help optimize the tires’ contact patches.

BTW Nascar has strengthened the toe link so it can take a harder impact recently. I think people making judgements on a car in it's first year on the track are premature at best.

This article might help you to understand it better

Toe​

Look down at a passenger car from overhead. All four tires would be oriented parallel to a line drawn down the length of the car, as shown at right.

Racing — especially racing on banked ovals — requires setting up the car to keep as much of the tire in contact with the track as possible. Toe is one of the adjustments a team can make to help optimize the tires’ contact patches.

Toe is the deviation between a tire and the car’s centerline.

It's called a "toe" link, you know set the toe?
Toe is one of the adjustments a team can make to help optimize the tires’ contact patches.

BTW Nascar has strengthened the toe link so it can take a harder impact recently. I think people making judgements on a car in it's first year on the track are premature at best.

This article might help you to understand it better

Toe​

Look down at a passenger car from overhead. All four tires would be oriented parallel to a line drawn down the length of the car, as shown at right.

Racing — especially racing on banked ovals — requires setting up the car to keep as much of the tire in contact with the track as possible. Toe is one of the adjustments a team can make to help optimize the tires’ contact patches.

Toe is the deviation between a tire and the car’s centerline.

You are making an argument for an uninformed author of an under-informed article.

1st. The banking of a track actually helps to increase the tire contact patch.
(see RF tire angle at Martinsvile vs Bristol)

2nd. I suspect Aunty has at some point owned and even used a caster/camber gauge.
BIG HINT......... He didn't use it to set the toe.

They’re facts, not opinions. Agreement or disagreement is unnecessary.

Pictures might help ...

You are making an argument for an uninformed author of an under-informed article.

2nd. I suspect Aunty has at some point owned and even used a caster/camber gauge.
You can crawfish all that you want, it won't change the facts bud.

"Toe is one of the adjustments a team can make to help optimize the tires’ contact patches."

Dr. Leslie-Pelecky is not an uninformed author. https://ukystemlab.wordpress.com/lab-activities/building-speed/

# 1 is correct. However, the toe links have nothing to do with camber angle.

# 2 is also correct. Still have it.

am I the only one concerned about the cars catching on fire in the ****pits? 2x in the last 3 races.

They’re facts, not opinions. Agreement or disagreement is unnecessary.

Pictures might help ...

This is 100% false.
Starting with the 90 degree declaration and ending with "teams make that adjustment with the toe link"

Your pictures really do help.
They help to show that the author of the original article you posted has no idea whatsoever what he is talking about.

You can crawfish all that you want, it won't change the facts bud.

"Toe is one of the adjustments a team can make to help optimize the tires’ contact patches."
I don't know what crawfishing is, but I do know that if you are continuing to try to justify the overwhelming ignorance of the author of that post then you are either; A. Arguing for argument's sake, B. Ignorant of the facts as well, or (my guess) C. Both.

This is 100% false.
Starting with the 90 degree declaration and ending with "teams make that adjustment with the toe link"

Your pictures really do help.
They help to show that the author of the original article you posted has no idea whatsoever what he is talking about.
Toe-in / out is adjusted with shims that alter the position of the toe links.

Camber adjustments are made at the attachment points of the upper / lower control arms.

Toe-in / out is adjusted with shims that alter the position of the toe links.

Camber adjustments are made at the attachment points of the upper / lower control arms.
Correct.
Obviously that dude from sportscasting.com bullsh!tted his way into a garage pass.

All this aside, I believe I previously stated that work is being done to address all of these issues.
The current car has yet to prove to be more durable but with modifications I believe NextGen 2.0 will be.

If I recall, one was overheated brakes and the other was a severed oil line. Nothing unusual about either of those.
I just don't recall fires inside the car of the previous car
They have a problem with enclosing the exhaust pipes. It's catching stuff that is igniting the foam in the door. They are going to have to fix it.
looks like they are working on it

I just don't recall fires inside the car of the previous car

looks like they are working on it

We could have changes coming as early as this weekend as well as for Daytona. We’ve got a big group of engineers working on that.”

My question is what changed 20 some races into the season that they're having fires now around the exhaust?

Teams doing something different? Foam or carbon fiber in that area been through too many heat cycles?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

My question is what changed 20 some races into the season that they're having fires now around the exhaust?

Teams doing something different? Foam or carbon fiber in that area been through too many heat cycles?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Nothing to see here.gif

Good question.

The answer is coming. I wouldn’t want to be breathing any of that smoke.

Back to what I think about the nextgen, as my wife would say after cooking her the best steak I ever cooked, "its OK".

...which is a good thing IMO. No more debris cautions for destroyed cars running 50 laps down.
They USED to make an an attempt to repair cars correctly. Now they slap a 100 square feet of Bearbond on the car and send it on it’s way. Not really an improvement in my opinion.

Global warming.... or it is because of the previous administration. One of the two, maybe both.

Back
Top Bottom